Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pic Request: Stubby Bull Barrels

Basic Member

Pic Request: Stubby Bull Barrels

I am getting my 11VT chopped to 18" and I can't wait to get it back from the gunsmith. Do any of you have a savage with 18" or shorter barrel you'd like to share pictures of? I'll follow up with pics of mine when I get it back.

Luke45
    20" varmint(i know you wanted 18" but figured you hadnt got a reply yet so why not?) . incredibly handy! cant imagine an 18"

same rifle, bottom picture all i had done was a barrel swap, still had scope that came with, top pic is with vortex 6.5x20 and a paint job.

Basic Member
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. Yeah I'm getting mine cut so the overall length with a can will be manageable but I think without the can it will make a handy hunting rig too. I like your paint job!

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. Yeah I'm getting mine cut so the overall length with a can will be manageable but I think without the can it will make a handy hunting rig too. I like your paint job!
    Thanks Chris! definitly post some pics when you get them! IT blows me away how accurate short stubby barrels can be, make up for the velocity loss!

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'm hoping I see some accuracy increase; I just hope the gunsmith does a good job recrowning. My 175smk loads should stay supersonic past 1000yrds so I'm okay with the velocity loss.

Basic Member
    Here's one of my shorty's

Savage Model 10 FP 308

Started life as 20". Shortened to 16" threaded 5/8x24. Currently has Surefire brake on it. One of the most accurate rifles I have.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Here's mine. 358 Winchester, 20" Shaw magnum profile. Handy and accurate.

This is my 250-3000 savage on a stevens LA in a Stocky's laminate thumb hole. 18 inches shoots like a laser.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Haiku...short and sweet...Wood and steel, still building...16.5" Heavy Barrel 308

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Haiku...short and sweet...Wood and steel, still building...16.5" Heavy Barrel 308

Your image didn't come through - I think because it was linked from another forum where you have to be a member to view. Sounds awesome, enjoyed the haiku haha

Basic Member

Basic Member

Team Savage
    Looks great Capt

Basic Member
    I'm diggin these pics... gunsmith is supposedly working on mine now!

Basic Member
    Here she is

I also have a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-9x40 in 1" rings (and the stock mag) that I plan to use for hunting. This SWFA 16x is for shooting long range steel.

So far I like how it handles after getting it cut down to 18"... I think I'll like it even more once I get the shorter lighter scope mounted for hunting. I can't wait until I can try the can on her. Also, I have an HS precision pro-varminter stock on order.

Basic Member
    Excellent job right there!

Basic Member
    Thanks Clint, I noticed yours looks very similar. How do you like the 16" 308? What's the farthest you shoot with it?

Basic Member
    I love this one. This was one of my first Savage rifles. After I had it shortened and threaded I shot it all the time. It had the factory plastic stock and I'd run any ammo I could get my hands on. Never any problems and always super accurate. The farthest target shooting was to 250ish. I really don't shoot this one anymore. I think I might have to start now!!

I've always enjoyed a short compact heavy barreled rifle.

Basic Member
    Here she is in her "hunting configuration."

Smaller scope (Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-9x40 1" tube)

Basic Member
    Lets see if this works better...

Team Savage
    Outstanding

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Here she is

I also have a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-9x40 in 1" rings (and the stock mag) that I plan to use for hunting. This SWFA 16x is for shooting long range steel.

So far I like how it handles after getting it cut down to 18"... I think I'll like it even more once I get the shorter lighter scope mounted for hunting. I can't wait until I can try the can on her. Also, I have an HS precision pro-varminter stock on order.
    This darlin is beyond sexy. Is that a Surefire brake on there? I'm about to re-barrel my 110 LA. Originally I was going for a heavy contour varmint cut to 20" but now I think I might go all the way down to 18". Good taste bro!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc173 View Post
    This darlin is beyond sexy. Is that a Surefire brake on there? I'm about to re-barrel my 110 LA. Originally I was going for a heavy contour varmint cut to 20" but now I think I might go all the way down to 18". Good taste bro!
    Thanks! It's a Silencerco Specwar brake. I have one of their cans that will thread over this brake, just waiting on the ATF. The brake made a huge difference on recoil.

Basic Member
    I'm going to chop one to 16.5"for my 308 soon!

bflee

I know it is not a Savage, but this is my truck gun so I went low budget. It is a Marlin Xl7vh 308 that was a 26" bull barrel. I cut it myself with a hose clamp and hacksaw, then recrowned it with a brass screw and lapping compound. It still shoots decent as you can see.

I cut it long one time and tried it just to make sure I could pull it off.
    I just couldnt see my self putting my savage under my back seat and beating around!
    I have a 12 LRP in 6.5CM and a 10 Predator max1 in 260. Would you put them in there? 9 lbs even with the thick barrel. I grab it for most occasions because it is so handy.
    Last edited by bflee; 12-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast