Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem mounting rail to 110 flat back due to twisted action- permanently bed?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Unless they disclosed the issues you're talking about, I'd say you got cheated.
    No disclosure, though the slant is so bad that the idiom of a fool and his money might also apply. Looking at it now, I have no idea how I missed it, though the obvious answer is that I didn't think to look for it. It was $200, and if it functions and gives me an interesting project to work on to try to make it serviceable, I won't feel too cheated. I couldn't sell it without disclosing the issues, and I figure the money spent on Devcon is probably less than the loss I'd realize trying to sell it and start over. I also want to learn how to bed a rifle, and I'll feel a lot less bad about messing this one up than a newer, nicer one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notpu View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I was specifically looking for an older 110 that I could later change the barrel and stock as my skills and interests developed. I found this one on Armslist.

If you have a resource you could direct me to where I could learn about potential issues, I'd appreciate it. I was under the impression that the action had been largely constant since Savage changed how it attached barrels around 1967 until the recent change of the location of the bolt release.

I'm very grateful for everyone's help.
    Fred, in possibly answering my own question, I just found your Technical Updates page that seems to go into detail about some of the changes. I'm very glad that JCalhoun pointed me to your site!

JCalhoun
    notpu,

As far as a learner gun goes it's not a bad choice. Because, like you say, you don't want to use a good one to lean how to do bedding, mods, etc. Does the barrel have sights? If so, you could use those to hunt/shoot with if the base is too far off.

I'm thinking you should at least try to cycle the bolt a few times to see it feed & extracts. If it cycles then you can try to attach the base. If it doesn't function properly there is no need in even fooling with the base.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    notpu,

As far as a learner gun goes it's not a bad choice. Because, like you say, you don't want to use a good one to lean how to do bedding, mods, etc. Does the barrel have sights? If so, you could use those to hunt/shoot with if the base is too far off.

I'm thinking you should at least try to cycle the bolt a few times to see it feed & extracts. If it cycles then you can try to attach the base. If it doesn't function properly there is no need in even fooling with the base.
    It does have iron sights, and while I wouldn't choose them as the main sighting option, thanks for reminding me that they are there in case the base is too far off. One thing I did do before I bought it was make sure that it feeds and extracts properly. While it got hung up on one handload that the seller had, it cycled factory ammo without a problem. I've since cycled factory ammo, also without a problem. The barrel was dirty when I bought it and the bolt was pretty filthy internally, so it seems like it was functional at least earlier in its life.

JCalhoun
    That's a good sign then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123