Thread: new beta chrony VS old F-1 chrony

LongRange

new beta chrony VS old F-1 chrony

ive had a chrony F-1 for years that has preformed well but is hard to see the numbers at times.so i was at scheels on wednesday and picked up a beta unit and got out yestaerday and did some testing with it and the 300wm...with the old F-1,71g RL-22,CCI250,nosler brass and a hornady 208g BTHP at 40deg i get 2910 to 2930fps,(checked book for old data)with the beta i was getting 2864 to 2884fps. that got me wondering which of the two is closer to actual FPS so i came home loaded up 25 rounds and went back out with both units screwed back to back to a 4"x8" block of wood i use to set my chrony on. i set up one of my target stands to keep the sun off of the sensors as it would have caused a lot of errors.

this was in the morning about 730 at about 25deg..

this was later about 1130 and about 35-40deg with chronys back to back...its been cold here...thats about an 1" of snow on the ground and has been here for 5 or 6 days now,normally melts off the same day..

this is 70.5g RL-22...this is the load i shoot in the summer and on the F-1 produces just over 2900FPS at 90+deg...

i shot 25 rounds over both chronys screwed to the block and they were all pretty close as far as FPS from each chrony...last 5 rounds were...
    F-1........beta...
    1-2913...1-2867
    2-2914...2-2874
    3-2911...3-2864
    4-2921...4-2884
    5-2911...5-2872

im going out later if the wind dies off(or tomorrow morning) to shoot 1760yds and ive got drops from G-7 ballistics,JBM ballistics and shooter using the averages from both chronys so well see which is closer to actual FPS...i use the shooter app mostly but but its off quite a bit from what the other 2 programs say so we will see.
    Last edited by LongRange; 01-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Basic Member
    Ive been using various type chronys for as long as theyve been selling them.
    I put little faith in them as for any degree of accuracy. Ive found significent
    differences from day to day, and especially on as you mentioned sunny days.
    Ive even tried putting a box over the unit. I always need to tweek the numbers when
    developing elevation charts after actually shooting the distances. If they werent so reasonable,
    id simply guess the velocity for the initial chart information.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Ive been using various type chronys for as long as theyve been selling them.
    I put little faith in them as for any degree of accuracy. Ive found significent
    differences from day to day, and especially on as you mentioned sunny days.
    Ive even tried putting a box over the unit. I always need to tweek the numbers when
    developing elevation charts after actually shooting the distances. If they werent so reasonable,
    id simply guess the velocity for the initial chart information.
    i agree 100%...i dont trust any of them to use as actual data....ive had to tweak all 3 of the programs i use to match actual dopes...all 3 are close out to about 650yds with shooter being the closest with a 1 shot cold bore to 700yds with data from F-1 chrony at 6" low on a 18"x18" AR500 plate target. what i dont get is some of my worst ES have shot the best groups...one in particular comes to mind with my 300wm,H1000 and 210smks that showed a 56FPS spread that shot a 5 shot .401 group measured to outside at 335yds.

Basic Member
    Well there you go, used to be group size was all that mattered.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well there you go, used to be group size was all that mattered.
    and thats all that matters now.

6 of one half a dozen of another.
    Ive had great results using my old f-1. From 100 out to 1100yds in 100 yd incremints. 150/168/175smks.
    Any questions I had about the chrono being at least close to actual FPS went out the door with 3 hits I dialed up for a 8"x6" steel plate @ 970yds.
    Ive found "this" F1 to get me where I need to be. (knock on wood)...... hopefully i wont accidentally shoot this one...ololo
    If anything...doping for wind past 800 is more of a challenge.
    One things for sure..............you,ll be the 1st to know which reading is justified.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Well what can you say about results like that except some of us are just far more talented than others.
    Dopes like me are better off shooting sighter shots than prooving how little we know about doping.

Old proverb seems appropriate here-- "Man with two clocks never sure what time it is."
    Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
    Old proverb seems appropriate here-- "Man with two clocks never sure what time it is."
    Joe
    Lmao!