Thread: Custom Axis might be a keeper

Praire Shooter

Custom Axis might be a keeper

Recently put together a Savage Axis for my first build. The rifle has a SSS dog tracker stock and a 28" Brux bull barrel chamber in 6.8-284 w/1-9 twist. I hadn't got a chance to sight in the scope so I loaded up 5 rounds with a 165g Matrix bullet over 53g of 7828 this evening and threw my scrap wood shooting bench on the driveway and a target on the target tree(~105 yard). Bore sighted and shot 1 cleaned adjusted scope and shot 2 looked good cleaned. Decided to shoot the other 3 and to my surprise it grouped pretty well for a crappy bench and a crappy shooter. If my math is correct it should be around ~.373moa. I had forty rounds in 4 powders to do a ladder when I check for max(RL17,H4350,H4831,7828) and I thought 7828 would be the worst for accuracy but this sure peeked my interest. Sounds like tomorrow is out with 50mph gust but maybe sun. will have a chance to shoot all the loads.

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pic it was getting dark and flash was too much no flash was no pic.

Basic Member
    6.8? Or 6.5-284. 6.8 would be quite interesting!

If you are shooting matrix bullets this isn't your first rodeo.

Praire Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    6.8? Or 6.5-284. 6.8 would be quite interesting!
    Yes Wolf it is 6.8-284. I was shooting the 165g matrix bullets with a barrel burning model 12 in 270wsm and was having really good luck, so I decided to try to use something that had a little less recoil and wouldn't eat a barrel as I need a lot of trigger time. I had this donor axis action but a 270 with the bullet seated with the tail in the shoulder was still ~3.8 so I went this route. PTG made a reamer and with the bullet touching the land the round is 3.2 coal, the tail is just in the shoulder and the axis will eject loaded rounds thats a +.

Nice shooting! I can't wait to see the rifle. From the description, it's going to look as sharp as it shoots. What kind of trigger do you use?

That is an interesting chambering as well and a wise one if you've got a bunch of components for it.

Praire Shooter
    Thanks Dr, it didn't turn out perfect but for my first do it yourself build I was very happy. The trigger is a accutrigger I adjusted the pull and buffed the sear engagement and it breaks very clean at 1.5 lbs. Not as light as the target accutriggers but I'm happy.

I had posted it at the axis pic thread but here it is with another crappy cell phone pick.Savage Axis action with home made bolt handle

Savage Axis w/accutrigger and home made bolt knob
    Brux 28" 1-9twist 6.8-284
    SSS Dog Tracker Stock with SPS butt & comb
    Sightron SIII 10-50x60 EGW base & SWFA rings
    (stock is devcon bedded with factory recoil lug bedded solid in the stock and SPS butt and comb I installed with some home wood butcher equipment)