Thread: Help me choose .243Win

addboy

Help me choose .243Win

Hey guys, new user here and I'm glad I found you. Thanks for checking out my question and your opinions.

First off, I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. I've had the chance to shoot my friend's .308 and .243Win and after carefully considering ballistics I've really fallen in love with the .243Win caliber. I want to get (either out of box or build) a rifle that I can challenge myself, hopefully work up to 600m, 800m, and even 1,000m, although living in California, it's tough to shoot beyond 200m without a lot of travel. Perhaps one day I'll get a chance to hunt, but for now this would be a paper/range toy.

I know there's a lot to long range precision, including some really amazing 100% custom rifles, and eventually, after dialing in exactly what I like, I would go that route, but for now I've settled on Savage and hope to be able to (as my skills and desires progress) upgrade this rifle until that 100% custom build.

With that in mind, I've already purchased a mid-level SWFA scope, and have saved (over quite a long time) approximately $1,000 - $1,200 to play with. Can you guys give me some ideas of models I should look at? I'm definitely into saving as much money as possible!!

I was looking at the 12 Long Range Precision rifle until my buddy suggested ways of saving money by looking at other models. Do you guys think an Axis would be a cheaper way to go with an immediate trigger and stock upgrade? I'm game for all ideas.

Cheers!

sierracharlie338
    Just my 0.02 but go with heavy barreled action and find you a good stock to put it in (chassis system or bedded). If it has an accu-trigger you should be good with that til you get some trigger time under the belt.

On the other hand the 12 LRP is a nice gun from the accounts I hear. Basically set ready to go from the factory. Mount some optics and shoot.

The cool thing about savage is you can go stock, semi custom, or full custom depending on your budget.

Oh by the way nice caliber choice. You will be amazed at how little you have to correct for wind compared to someone shooting a 308!

romad97
    If its going to be primarily a paper puncher I would buy and LRP. Its inside of your price range and I don't think you can build a more accurate rifle for anything priced close to it. You already have the scope so all you really need is a set of rings. If you shoot factory ammo it will shoot sub MOA and if you start hand loading you can easily get it to half MOA with some load development.

D.ID
    Welcome.
    If I were in your shoes I would go with the LRP.... or....... buy a hog hunter for the action, re-barrel and re-stock. I do not believe the axis would be your best foundation given your choices and budget.
    Not saying it could not work but I think you would be better off running the standard center-feed or the target action. Just my two cents.

addboy
    Thank you for the replies so far! I keep hearing semi-custom, what do you mean? Based on D.ID's recommendation of a hog hunter I was looking at the differences and noticing a 22in barrel vs a 26in barrel. Can you order the 11/111 FCNS with a 26in barrel? Does the extra 4in really count that much?

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Welcome.
    If I were in your shoes I would go with the LRP.... or....... buy a hog hunter for the action, re-barrel and re-stock. I do not believe the axis would be your best foundation given your choices and budget.
    Not saying it could not work but I think you would be better off running the standard center-feed or the target action. Just my two cents.
    Just looking at the 11/111 FCNS at ~$700 plus a $300 barrel doesn't leave me much left for a stock. Am I figuring my pricing a little high?

Basic Member
    I just found and bought a Stevens 200 on gunbroker for $289. $300 for a barrel still leaves $600 for a stock, brass, dies, a trigger etc. They are getting harder to find but they're out there, you might check pawn shops and watch the classifieds.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    I just found and bought a Stevens 200 on gunbroker for $289. $300 for a barrel still leaves $600 for a stock, brass, dies, a trigger etc. They are getting harder to find but they're out there, you might check pawn shops and watch the classifieds.
    Only because I didn't find it first! :)

Basic Member
    There's a Stevens 200 in 30-06 avail there right now... good price.

Buy it, sell the barrel for $40-50 and then get an aftermarket barrel in .243.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by addboy View Post
    Thank you for the replies so far! I keep hearing semi-custom, what do you mean? Based on D.ID's recommendation of a hog hunter I was looking at the differences and noticing a 22in barrel vs a 26in barrel. Can you order the 11/111 FCNS with a 26in barrel? Does the extra 4in really count that much?

Just looking at the 11/111 FCNS at ~$700 plus a $300 barrel doesn't leave me much left for a stock. Am I figuring my pricing a little high?
    I only recommended the hog hunters because they are at or under 500 making it about the cheapest accutrigger model out there.

Basic Member
    As far as I am concerned, the Stevens 200 and Savage Hog Hunter are your best and most affordable "starting points" for nearly any build. And, they both have the top bolt release, a much better design than the bottom bolt release. As D.ID suggests, the HH has Accutrigger, Stevens does not. Quality-wise, they are the same if you upgrade the Stevens trigger to SSS Comp Trigger or Rifle Basix Sav-1. If you prefer the Accutrigger's safety virtues, go Hog Hunter.

Stevens 200's are a good way to go.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Basic Member
    Reconsidering prior posts... due to this being OP's first rifle, I do not really recommend attempting a build.

Vince
    I would look at any inexpensive .243 to start but in getting to 800 or 1,000 Yards I'd recommend, at a minimum, the Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma.
    Learn to reload too. In my opinion you won't get out to 1000 with consistency unless you reload.

Basic Member
    Twist rate will be the most important factor when trying to shoot that far with a 243. You will need and 8 twist so you can shoot the 105-115 grain bullets. That's the only way a 243 is going to make it to 1k with any speed and consistency.

Basic Member
    I have a LRP in the 6.5 creedmore and it shoots lights out with factory ammo

So you're the vandal shooting out the neighbors' lights!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Dick's has the 11vt for 419 this week

JCalhoun
    addboy,

Since you mention this will be a 200y paper puncher and you hunt later on I'd suggest any of the Savage heavy barreled rifles in .223 Rem. These are very accurate, no recoil and not as expensive to shoot as the bigger cartridges. Once you learn to shoot it well get into reloading.

When decide to go hunting you can pick up an inexpensive Savage Axis in .243 or .308 then start loading for these too.

Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    addboy,

Since you mention this will be a 200y paper puncher and you hunt later on I'd suggest any of the Savage heavy barreled rifles in .223 Rem. These are very accurate, no recoil and not as expensive to shoot as the bigger cartridges. Once you learn to shoot it well get into reloading.

When decide to go hunting you can pick up an inexpensive Savage Axis in .243 or .308 then start loading for these too.
    Good advice.
    Not much I'd change, except the caliber at the end. I don't have much use for the .308 as I think there are better calibers to choose from. 308 Winchester is great on bipedal targets though.