Thread: 93 fvss gone bad

tobyg

93 fvss gone bad

Guys need help!! Been having my 22 mag for over a year and up until a month ago I could keep 5 shots in a inch at 25 yards using cci 40 grain hp , then all at once it started getting jumpy and would shoot 2 in and the third would be several inches away , well put new scope and mounts thinking bad scope or loose mounts and still the same. Then sent gun to savage to go over it and received gun back and it looks brand new so put new scope and mounts back on and have trouble keeping it in a 4 inch circle at 25 yards please help with your thoughts of issue, maybe deposits in rifling? Idk

rona
    Are you free handing or bench shooting with sand bags? I was having trouble this summer and sad to say it was me. I had a friend watch me and it seemed I could shoot 3 or 4 good then had a flinch problem. No reason since it didn't kick but I let him shoot it and it was right on the money. 4 inches at 25 yards sounds like drastic problem to me.

Downunderimfire
    Different batch of ammo?

fartsinpublic
    You've got to go back through the rifle and verify action screw tightness (take the action out of the stock to start with), barrel clearance from fore end, etc.

4" at 25 yards seems like something is extremely loose. You aren't shooting from a wiggly bipod are you?

At 25 yards, a rifle sitting on its side and shooting by itself would make one lousy hole. (25 yards is a lousy distance to verify anything, I personally think. 50 is better, really)

tobyg
    **Rona I am using bench and sand bags
    **down under rim fire I used 5 different ammo makers , when I first purchased gun I kept notes on 10 different ammo manufacturers and grain and chew they performed
    **fartsinpublic today I done a copper cleaning of my barrel even though rifling looked pretty clean but I did not go through gun for tightness , thanks I will try going through gun cause today after bore cleaning I wanted to toss the dam thing ! Off bench at 50 yards I was getting 10 shot groups with some shots 7 inches away from bulls eye .I'm at my end with this gun and this issue
    2 months ago a 10 shot group at 50 yards all touched each other now the closest is inches and some litterly 7 inches out

rona
    I would go over the whole rifle looking for loose screws etc. If you have open sights try them. If not do you have a different scope you can use temporarily until you can pin point your problem. Concerning a new scope it is possible it was bad from factory.

tobyg
    Thanks Rona I'm going to strip the gun looking for something lose and the new scope mounts , rings and scope was put on when this problem first started happening I changed them all thinking bad scope

tobyg

tobyg
    Top pic yesterday 6 shots @ 50yrds bench rest sand bags the 2 holes at 3 1/2 inches has a mark between them and that was my aiming point

Bottom is 50 yards bench sand bags and the one hole near the 4 inch ma4k was aiming point
    This is horrible and depressing

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    Top pic yesterday 6 shots @ 50yrds bench rest sand bags the 2 holes at 3 1/2 inches has a mark between them and that was my aiming point

Bottom is 50 yards bench sand bags and the one hole near the 4 inch ma4k was aiming point
    This is horrible and depressing
    Looks like a target from a B-Mag. Just to eliminate human error I would get a friend to shoot it and if you get the same results send it back.

tobyg
    Lol Rona and I did just that cause I had drank a red Bull and was a Lil shaky ha. And I could expect a Lil off to the right cause I'm right handed but off inches to the left no way. Can you tell me or if possible anyone send a picture of what and where is the recoil lug? I have read a few guys saying this caused them issues.

rona
    Look in your owners manual and you should see a picture of the innards of your rifle. Maybe you can google it and get a better view of the parts and how things work. When you open and close the bolt action on your rifle the recoil lug is locked into position so the recoil doesn't push the bolt back when the rifle is fired.

Downunderimfire
    Might just be me but the bottom target looks like it was fired at at a very strange angle ( possibly well over 45° from flat)?
    If I rotate the image to where I am seeing a more or less "round" hole, the group really tightens up (although still not flash).

tobyg
    ** Rona my manual shows my recoil lug to be a round bar in front of clip and it is tight but the picture of the 93 in manual is a Lil different than my gun
    ** rimfiredownunder you are 100% correct and I am in back yard redoing 50yrd groups will send pic from straight on . Thanks and awesome catch my friend
    ***** I want to thank both you guys for your time ! OK off to sling some cci 40 grain

tobyg

Guys one at 50 yards i shot and one at 25 yards my brother shot and we numbered the holes as fired to see if a pattern pops up . As Downunderimfire stated not as spread as I thought shooting straight on but still just horrible and as I said before up until weeks ago 50yard I kept in a quarter size area with the occasional flyer. This gun has never let me down in the swamps of Pierre part Louisiana until now !! Depression is setting in lol

jb6.5
    I had a problem with my 17 hmr. Grouped a lot like your gun. Turned out the barrel was loose. Couldn't tell by looking at it, figured it out by putting pressure under the barrel.
    Fold up a buisness card and wedge it between the end of the stock and the barrel. Try it and see, never know.

tobyg

K guys I noticed some play on the stock bolt right in front of the trigger where it holds the clip release so I took it out and found the bolt sort of fouled and the threads on gun side hole were stripped. Great job guys at savage !! I have ran a tracer through hole and tightened it down all the way. Now I don't know if it's only the 2 clip bars that go there are was a washer or anything else left out cause I can't find a shematic of 93fvss synthetic stock please help !!! And do yall think this could be causing my horrible grouping?????

tobyg

tobyg
    Can see the gap better on this one

JCalhoun
    Poor and inconsistent shooting positions/techniques are the number 1 cause of inaccuracy. The second will be loose screws followed by bad ammo, bad scope, stock touching.

Techniques can be ruled out by having someone else shoot it.

Also, many rimfire rifles do not like being squeeky clean. You'll need to foul the barrel a bit.

kapt

Clean barrel and then try this

Try this product.. http://www.opticsplanet.com/hoppe-qu...loth-1215.html I shoot IR 50-50 and after several hundred rounds a few passes with this brings the rifle back to new barrel condition. It says for lead removal but I use it for my jacketed bullet rifles as well. You will be amazed at what it takes out.

tobyg
    Thanks guys im learning more every day about guns.
    My next question is in the pictures below is the notch on the bolt that catches the trigger and its gauld up some , can this be causing my gun to shoot horribly. Im still going crazy trying to figure it out !

tobyg

And why does my barrel have 3 threaded holes rear of mag hole and trigger assembly only has 2