Thread: Just Picked up a .223 Axis

MrGiggles

Just Picked up a .223 Axis

The gun-bug bit me again.. I just couldn't resist an accurate bolt action for 209.99 with the rebate. In fact in another month or so I will probably get another in .308 or .270. Haven't decided which yet.

Anyway the rifles seems good enough for me. It will be used for coyotes/varmints, and target shooting since rounds are cheap. 400 yard accuracy isn't necessary but a perk if I can make that happen.Does anybody have a suggestion for a scope base?

The only mounts Academy carried were for the Model 110 and the front mount didn't fit the curvature of the receiver, and they didn't have any one piece rails. The twenty dollar range would be perfect, and locally available is even better. About the only retailer near me with gun accessories is Walmart.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...p-on-your-Axis

Pretty well outlined in this thread.

Basic Member
    For the Axis seems a majority of members here use either the EGW or Weaver rails.

MrGiggles
    Cool, thanks guys. A Google search didn't bring up much, I'm surprised there isn't much available for these rifles, as common as they are.

Ordered this scope and the weaver rail from Amazon this morning. I've had a couple of smaller Barska scopes and haven't had any issues with them, in fact I think they were better than many other low end models. This one has good reviews all over the place, and for what I'm after I think it will work great.

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-6-5-20x.../dp/B001JJCHOS
    Last edited by MrGiggles; 09-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.

n4ue
    MrGiggles, you will love this little rifle. I have a lot of the 223s, some rechambered into different wildcats.
    Do yourself a BIG favor and search here for 'trigger jobs'. I have done over a dozen rifles and it cost all of a $1 to get it from the 8# category to 2 - 2 1/2#. The best part is that it eliminates all over travel as well.

ron

MrGiggles
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    MrGiggles, you will love this little rifle. I have a lot of the 223s, some rechambered into different wildcats.
    Do yourself a BIG favor and search here for 'trigger jobs'. I have done over a dozen rifles and it cost all of a $1 to get it from the 8# category to 2 - 2 1/2#. The best part is that it eliminates all over travel as well.

ron
    That was about the only thing that's undesirable on this rifle. I did look in the FAQ thread but I have to have a paid membership to view the trigger job thread, but I will search and see what I can find.

n4ue
    Hi. A paid membership will pay for itself many times over. BUT, having said that, if you wish just shoot me a regular email
    n4ue@arrl.net
    I'll be glad to help out a fellow shooter!
    Although I have NO idea of your mechanical ability, you NEED to try my method before you spend $$ on an aftermarket trigger.

ron

MrGiggles
    I found a couple threads about trigger mods and took it apart while I had a spare minute. I did pick up a 3/4" 10-24 set screw but I haven't found a spring yet.

I pulled the rifle apart and had a look at the mechanism. I clipped a little off of the factory spring and it seemed to soften it, although there's still some creep.

I'm gonna dig through my spring drawer and see if I can find one that will work.

Basic Member
    you will love this gun. I bought one , cut 1.5 coils off of trigger spring. now has 3.5 pound trigger. had gun smith cut barrel down to 16 1/2 inches long. a hell of a walking and truck gun. shoots black hills 52 gr bthp blue box 5/8 to 7/8 inch group all day long. i did not have as good as luck with the 308 even with a boyd stock. just could not get it too group , kicked like a mule. marty

MrGiggles
    Cool. For the price I would be happy if it could hit a grape-fruit at 100 yards.

I've heard that the recoil is pretty bad with the bigger Savages. Anybody know how the .270 is?

Also, has anybody ever mounted an accessory rail to the bottom of the stock on an Axis? I've got a pair of bipods that mount to a picatinny rail. It would also be handy to have for a flashlight.

Basic Member
    I find the recoil with my Axis .270 to be completely non-objectionable. I'm pretty recoil-proof overall, though, so I might not be the right one to ask...

MrGiggles
    Well my scope arrived today and I have a range report.

Was getting around 2" at 100 yards off a pillow rest with cheap Tulammo. I consider this to be very satisfactory given the conditions.

Academy has a 50 round box of Hornady for 24 bucks that I'm gonna pick up next week to try. Should get even better.

Basic Member
    yep it will shoot better with good ammo. make sure you do the trigger spring job. I don't think it will shoot under 1 1/2 inch group without that trigger being knocked down to under the 4 lb mark.. marty
    Last edited by NDAR15MAN; 09-06-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add on

Basic Member
    The USMC and AmericanEagle do pretty well for plinking. Should be able to get 1" or a little better. The USMC seem to run about as fast as Hornady. I tried one of Ken Waters Pet Loads the other day. Ran a little hot on the 7th round started blowin primers. Honest .5 load though. Pulled the rest down before anyone got hurt. Might have held up with different primers. But didn't really need a 3500+ fps load. The putting 2 inside a 3/4" dot made my day though. Cut the charge by 1gr should get out n try em tomorrow.

MrGiggles
    Does anybody have any input about adding an accessory rail on the forearm? Being able to mount these bipods would be pretty handy.

Basic Member
    Never had much use for a bipod myself, but based on what others have said the forend of the Axis stock is too flexible for good results with a bipod. Having learned that my best accuracy has come when the rifle is rested back towards the magazine, I can easily believe this to be true. BTW, when rested this way my .223 shoots right at MOA with cheap Silver Bear 62 gr. softpoints.