Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester brass

Basic Member

Im not sure if your talking to me but i agree you work loads up. I didnt get loose pockets because I just decided to start at max charge. As a matter of fact i start at the bottom of the published data in the reloading manual and work up in .5g increments. Ive never really been all that concerned with speed. If it doesnt group who cares how fast it groups like crap? I have shot 38 grains of h380 and considering 37 grains is the starting load in my new nosler manual for the 50 grain bullet I was trying (at the time) I believe I did start at 38 grains and never got any pressure signs and was nowhere close to the 41 grain max charge.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    A good point Jon makes about Rem brass. I get the most amount of use from Rem brass & consistent accuracy using Federal brass. After I find the sweet spot using Remington, I fine tune it with Federal.
    I found out during my many marathon '06 shooting sessions, Fed will give me better consistency / accuracy but after 2 to 3 uses I had to switch from WLR's to CCI 200's. After 6 to 8 uses, much of the Federal brass was ready for retirement.
    Rem brass seemed to stay tight in the primer pocket for 5 to 7 firings and some of my Rem brass has been fired 12 times. I also treat it to an annealing about every 3 firings or so.

Then there's Win brass. If I had ANY trouble with brass it was almost always Winchester. Splits in the case neck after one firing of a brand new bag 'o brass, the dreaded "faint white line" near the case head after 2 or 3 uses, inconsistent neck thickness and my favorite - Case splits open in the chamber. I've invented a few new curse words from using Win brass.
    I use Win brass after load development and then go shoot someplace where I may not be able to retrieve all the spent cases. If they don't make it home, ain't no thang.
    When I clean, prep & size my brass I tend to pay a little extra attention to the Win brass. I won't throw any away If it's still usable but I'm to the point where I'm leery of it.
    Just a little info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123