Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester brass

Basic Member

Winchester brass

I'm having an issue with loose primer pockets in Winchester brass that hopefully someone can help me with. I've only been hand loading about 6 months so rookie question I'm sure but here goes. I bought 200 new Winchester 22-250 cases a couple months ago. Full length sized trimmed if needed chamfered loaded and shot once. Full length sized again, trimmed, chamfered, and cleaned primer pockets with rcbs brush tool. Started seating primers and some of them went in really easy with my rcbs hand primer tool. They won't tap back out or anything but they felt like they had almost no resistance going in. I haven't loaded anything hot. Maybe middle of the scale and all info taken from a brand new load manual for the brand and type of bullet I'm using. I'm not jamming the lands or anywhere close to them. So my question is why does this happen and is there a way to get better life outta the cases or not? At this point I'm kinda disappointed that $100 worth of brass acts like it may be about shot already. I did search the forum and found some posts about loose primers but didn't see any answers as far as what to do about it as far as how to prevent it. If I missed something then I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. Thanks

My most used tool for some reason.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...ProductFinding

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    My most used tool for some reason.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...ProductFinding

Dean
    That's a neat idea for fixing what I got thanks! Any idea why the primer pockets get loose so fast though? Is Winchester brass just bad for this? I hope not cause a week ago I ordered another 250..... I'm using Winchester wlr primers also if that makes a difference

acemisser
    some primers just seat easier than others and some harder than others...I would not be concerned
    unless i was getting gas blow back around them..

There are only three brands of brass, that I have found that the primer pockets stay snug, Lapua, Norma, and Nosler, that's why I have come up with a new primer, THREADED PRIMERS it solves all the problems related to loose primer pockets, I have submitted my proposal to the major brass and primer company's, they have all said that they would get back to me, I can't wait,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    some primers just seat easier than others and some harder than others...I would not be concerned
    unless i was getting gas blow back around them..
    OK because I honestly don't know, what should I be looking for that would suggest gas blow back so I have an idea of what to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's real obvious but I don't believe I've seen it so I'm unsure of what it looks like.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    There are only three brands of brass, that I have found that the primer pockets stay snug, Lapua, Norma, and Nosler, that's why I have come up with a new primer, THREADED PRIMERS it solves all the problems related to loose primer pockets, I have submitted my proposal to the major brass and primer company's, they have all said that they would get back to me, I can't wait,

Dean
    I've read lapua brass holds up well. Is it really worth a buck a piece in your experience? I gotta say at about 50 cents a piece I'm unimpressed with the winchester. I mean one firing and the pockets are significantly looser than they started. Makes the cost savings dissappear real fast. If lapua holds up a lot better it'd be worth the extra cash I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by yotehtr1 View Post
    OK because I honestly don't know, what should I be looking for that would suggest gas blow back so I have an idea of what to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's real obvious but I don't believe I've seen it so I'm unsure of what it looks like.
    It looks like gas has blown out around the primer, staining the case head.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Gas blow back is when you fire off a round, and gases seep though the primer and blacken the bolt head, or even worse blow out the extractor or ejector, in case you did not catch that, I was just kidding about the threaded primers, although there is something to that.

Dean

Basic Member
    Thank you guys! Ya I know I read somewhere about possible damage to your bolt face and I definitely don't want that to happen. And ya I liked the threaded primer idea lol assumed you were joking got a good chuckle out of it. I have a bunch of Remington brass too that I didn't seem to have any issue with the primer pockets getting loose on but the rest of the case didn't seem to hold up real great that's why I haven't used any of them lately. Maybe I need to invest in better brass

Give that tool a shot, it really gives the brass a new lease on life.

Dean

Basic Member
    Ya looks like a useful tool! I really like the winchester brass otherwise too.

Might just be a bad lot.
    I use win 243 brass for my 260, primer pocket still going strong after 8 loadings with not one case needing to be culled.
    The nosler 260 brass I bought had primer pocket loose enough to cull cases after the first loading and all were done at 5 loadings.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Might just be a bad lot.
    I use win 243 brass for my 260, primer pocket still going strong after 8 loadings with not one case needing to be culled.
    The nosler 260 brass I bought had primer pocket loose enough to cull cases after the first loading and all were done at 5 loadings.
    Well maybe your right on that! Hopefully the next batch I got coming will hold up better.

Basic Member
    you did not say what primers you are using. I have found the Wolf and Tula primers to fit a little more snug than others. they also have given me excellent accuracy compared to some other brands.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    you did not say what primers you are using. I have found the Wolf and Tula primers to fit a little more snug than others. they also have given me excellent accuracy compared to some other brands.
    Actually at the end of the 3rd post. It'd be easy to miss though but using wlr primers. I found a 1000 box a while back. I do have a few cci and federal though. Don't have any wolf or tula but might be an idea.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Might just be a bad lot.
    I had the same trouble with Nosler a few years ago, I'm still mad about it. Winchester primers seem smaller to me, I've never measured them but, a cci will fit snug in the same case a winchester will almost fall into. I use cci and wolf.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    I had the same trouble with Nosler a few years ago, I'm still mad about it. Winchester primers seem smaller to me, I've never measured them but, a cci will fit snug in the same case a winchester will almost fall into. I use cci and wolf.
    I honestly haven't tried the cci primers yet. I only have 100 of them. Not sure how hard they are to get a hold of around here but would be worth looking into and I have some to try to see if it's worth spending the cash. I have some federal primers too. Maybe 2 or 300? What are they like? I haven't tried them yet either. Bought them and the cci's off a guy who was getting out of reloading a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by yotehtr1 View Post
    I've read lapua brass holds up well. Is it really worth a buck a piece in your experience? I gotta say at about 50 cents a piece I'm unimpressed with the winchester. I mean one firing and the pockets are significantly looser than they started. Makes the cost savings dissappear real fast. If lapua holds up a lot better it'd be worth the extra cash I suppose.
    In my experience it makes up for the premium pricing in terms of predictable dimension accuracy and reloading longevity--more than worth it.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Loose fitting primers?
    You didn't buy that brass from Deano, did you?
    While you're out primer shopping, try CCI primers as well.
    When I wear out my Federal brass from listening to Dean and overloading it, the primer pockets are stretched out to where a 1/4-20 bolt would fall inside. I use CCI primers and get another 6 - 8 firings out of it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Frank I know you got nothing but love for me brother, how is move coming along?

Dean

Basic Member
    Lol no got them off cabelas a couple months ago. And ya I have a hundred cci's I'll have to seat a few and see how they act

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    95% done.
    I really do need a day or 2 out at the swamp with a few rifles.

I have the new location habitable. A/C working, reloading room all set up. Almost there. Still need a stove & fridge but at least I got my reloading room up & running.
    Priorities.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    The last load I made up was 34 grains of varget behind a 53 grain vmax. And that's honestly the hottest load I've made up so far. Was a 3 shot .210 group at 100 yards and the chrono read 3600 give or take a few. Was hard to argue with the group and it was fast enough so I was real happy until I found out my primer pockets are a lot looser than the first time I loaded them. A couple had some good resistance but several just slid right in with almost no pressure required. Now they won't tap out or anything but the first load on those cases I remember them being a lot tighter.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    95% done.
    I really do need a day or 2 out at the swamp with a few rifles.

I have the new location habitable. A/C working, reloading room all set up. Almost there. Still need a stove & fridge but at least I got my reloading room up & running.
    Priorities.
    The ole lady finally kicked ya out Frank?

Corey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast