Thread: Savage LRH advice: 300 WM

jro1151

Savage LRH advice: 300 WM

Hi I recently bought a new savage 111 LRH in 300 WM. Couple of things I was looking for advice on. 1) mounts/rings: I have a Weaver super slam 4-20 50mm; looking at DNZ one piece 20 MOA or a talley 20 MOA alum one piece W/warne rings. Question is... w/DNZ, what height rings are people using w/50mm scopes on the LRH? I did place a call to DNZ they recommend high rings for all 50mm. I know that probably covers them and makes recommendations easier, but looking at the measurements, im thinking meds would be fine. Would the DNZ provide significantly better recoil stability than the talley/warne combo?

2) Ive come accross some military MK 248 Mod 0 ammo (190gr SMK). Anyone use these cases in their reloads? They are stamped FC 07.

davecduc
    Keepscope as close to barrel as possibleI assume this is a long range gunI would recommend using good quality heavy bases and ringssomething like Leupold mark 4 if weight is not an issue.

Vince
    1) I like Talley rings and bases.
    On the harder kicking calibers I use steel. For the lighter kicking ones, like my 6.5x284, I like the lightweight one piece setup.
    2) Never used this ammo in any of my .300 Win Mag rifles.

Vince
    I'm using medium Talley rings with my Zeiss 5 - 25 X 50.

Basic Member
    HIGHS might be too high...low as you can go adn clearance the bell...Lows might be too low...IF it were me I'd start with medium...300WM=STEEL...and blue LocTite on everything...

I just assembled 11 LRH in 300 wsm with a Vortex 6-24 x50 PST scope with Vortex Tactical three screw rings in medium height, and used a BlackHawk 20 MOA rail. Fit was perfect and adjustment on the scope leaves alot of adjustment for long range movements. You would not like high rings with the 20 MOA rail, way to high, only need high rings if not using a base. This gun is a shooter. May I suggest also getting the 1.5 lb. accutrigger springs from gunshack, they work real well, and make the trigger sweet.