Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with nikon prostaff

Basic Member

Help with nikon prostaff

I have my savage axis being shipped and just bought a scope for it. It is a nikon prostaff. I'm hoping someone can link me to some affordable rings for it. This is what I have so far:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-ri...ff-3-9x40.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-m...se-system.html

what rings do I need to go with this to make it work? Hoping something cheap not the $40-50 rings. Thanks guys.

I have the Nikon Prostaff on my Axis. The Weaver tactical rings are also a good product. I have two sets and like them a lot.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-tactical.html

Basic Member
    Are these canted to the side? What size do you suggest?

Basic Member
    The Nikon Prostaff has a 1'' Tube Diameter so you can go with the 1'' Medium or High Rings. Looks like they don't offer a low version so I would suggest the medium. Also, with the medium height rings more than likely you are going to need something to build up your cheek weld.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    I usually go with Weaver bases and Weaver Quad Lok rings. A set of rings and bases are about $20 total. I have found that the Weavers are very strong and reliable. Being cheap too sure doesn't hurt.

Basic Member
    You may need extension rings... I can't remember on the prostaff and axis but I'm using medium extension rings a lot on scopes I mount for my customers

Basic Member
    Do you have a link to the weaver base and rings for 20? Also, what's an extension for the medium rings? I'm a huge newb with scopes and bolt guns.

Basic Member
    The Weaver Quad Loks are available from Walmart for about $11 here. The two piece bases call for Weaver #46, but as another poster stated there will be an issue with the scope tube being too short for the spacing. Savage makes an extended base #402 which gives enough length. I have seen guys use two of the #402s just to be sure. When I set my Axis up, Weaver was not yet shipping the one piece base so I just went the old fashioned way with the two-piece bases. The medium height rings will be just right for the Nikon.

Basic Member
    I think we are being confusing. Stick with your one piece Weaver base and the 1" medium rings from Optics Planet.
    Last edited by Rosco; 08-31-2014 at 09:54 PM.

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    I think we are being confusing. Stick with your one piece Weaver base and the 1" medium rings from Optics Planet.
    Welcome. I have a safe full of Axis rifles and I always use the Weaver one piece base. The Quad locks rings are fine, however, I like UTG 6 screw rings as well.
    The nice thing about the one piece base is that you have a LOT more leeway positioning the scope for best eye relief.
    With the one piece base, it also allows you to swap scopes around.

ron

Basic Member
    Anyone have experience with the scope and base I linked to? I've read some complaints about medium rings and don't want to buy them if they don't clear

Basic Member
    There are a lot of reasonably priced 1 inch rings available. Medium height should work just fine for your Nikon PROSTAFF scope. Post a pic when you get scope all mounted up.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Basic Member
    I'm thinking about weaver quad lock 1 inch. What's the difference between standard and extended?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-quad-lock.html#

Basic Member
    Extended rings have a set-back that helps with mounting a short tubed scope. With the one piece base they are unnecessary. Unnecessary with the extended base also. The extended rings look a bit funny with the set-back. I have Leupold extended rings on one rifle and they are fine.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Hmmmmm...
    Axis...
    With Nikon Prostaff...

Maybe you might like to read this before spending any money on rings. I'm not the only one this happened to with the Axis / Prostaff combination.
    Good luck with your new toy.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...dle-hits-scope
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I ended up canceling the order because I would've had to wait a month to get it, plus the mounting issues I've been reading about. Can anyone give me ideas for a mount, rings and optics around the same price point.? $15 or so rail, $15 or so rings and $100-$150 optics? I think I'm going to look a little more in depth to try and figure it out before rushing into something that might not work. I appreciate it guys. Btw I picked up te .223 today as the .308 will be in tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Take the gun to your local LGS and they can help you get what you need

Basic Member
    Your only possible issue would be which height of rings. The Nikon Prostaff that I have on my Axis is the one that is the package scope on the Trophy Hunter series. That means it is the old style with the smaller bell. The newer Prostaff has a much larger bell and might have issues with the bolt handle rubbing the ocular housing. Tall rings would allow clearance. Only way to know is to try. Most other scopes have much smaller ocular housings, so no problems.

Basic Member
    I have a set of Warne medium height rings that I had a Nikon Prostaff mounted on my 10/22 that I would sell you for $25 shipped.. They are in great shape... If you are interested I will gladly send you pictures...

Basic Member
    For a budget scope setup here is what would I utilize-

One piece Weaver Base-
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-m...se-system.html

Burris Sig Zee Rings 1'' with inserts

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-z...yle-bases.html

Redfield Revenge 3-9x42

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield...fle-scope.html

These will run you a little over $220.00. But as you may have learned opinions on Scopes are pretty subjective and it really depends on what you are going to use it for. I am assuming it will be primarily for hunting, however if you are going to be target shooting and/or want to learn how to use a scope with an MRAD Reticle you would be better served with another dual purpose type unit.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    I ordered the Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 x 40mm Matte Multi-X Riflescope because it has a $30 mail in rebate. Figured for $120 - 30 not too bad. Do you guys think medium rings should work,? I read a lot about the prostaff not clearing so I'm a little nervous.

Reeseman
    The new style Prostaffs create bolt clearance problems on several brands of firearms . Its a common problem with the large eye piece .

Basic Member
    Why not do what I did?
    Grind the side of the bolt handle to accommodate the scope eye bell until you get a better scope?

After I got tired of the fat reticle and the "busy look" from the BDC lines in the Nikon, I got another Vortex and somebody here onsite gave me a Axis bolt handle to replace the "modified" handle.
    Problem alleviated and back in the game.

PS - I have a couple sets of 1" Weaver 4 hole Tactical rings if you want to try a set. I can measure the heights on them and let you know more about them. Let me know.

Team Savage
    Go to Apaches web site ,click on bolt handles order one

Basic Member
    Jim makes Axis custom bolt handles?
    I wish I knew that before I screwed up a few I tried to make new knobs for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast