Thread: New from WI - Just picked up a nice 23AA and appreciate info

New from WI - Just picked up a nice 23AA and appreciate info

Thanks, all, for a great forum. Savage firearms rate high in my book so I couldn't resist picking up this beautiful Savage Sporter 23AA at a gun show recently. As you can see it's in fabulous shape for a rifle that has to be at least 70 years old, based on the dates of manufacturer (1933-42).

First time out to the range I was getting 2-inch groups at 100 yards after zeroing in a cheap Tasco scope which came with it. Unbelievable accuracy and the trigger is so light it reminds me of the Accutrigger, which I have I my Mark II. Dare I say it: This old Savage holds its own against my modern .22's with better scopes.

The serial on this Sporter is 144XXX. Any info on year made and value would be appreciated. It came with one 10-round magazine and I'm looking for more but they appear to be pricey or otherwise hard to find. Sources welcome.

Sincerely,
    Buzzer

Guncrank
    Quote Originally Posted by It came with one 10-round magazine and I'm looking for more but they appear to be pricey or otherwise hard to find. Sources welcome.

Sincerely,
    Buzzer
    [URL="http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Joewisc/media/savage23aa_zps52732c2d.jpg.html"
    [/URL]
    Buzzer,

This mag works well in my 23AA and 19 NRA Target...
    http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=M
    However, the web page is in error the mag only holds 5 rounds not 6 as stated.

To my knowledge 10-round magazines were never offered with the 19's or 23's, and even the one linked to above is not an original type magazine for the gun. Savage only offered them with 5-round magazines and they had a "button screw" on the bottom. The 10-rounders are aftermarket pieces and I highly doubt anyone is still making them today, thus the high price on used ones when you see them.

Factory 5-round Model 19 & 23 magazine

The 10-rounder in your pic actually looks like it could be a newer Marlin or Savage 10-round mag.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Guncrank
    To my knowledge 10-round magazines were never offered with the 19's or 23's, and even the one linked to above is not an original type magazine for the gun. Savage only offered them with 5-round magazines and they had a "button screw" on the bottom. The 10-rounders are aftermarket pieces and I highly doubt anyone is still making them today, thus the high price on used ones when you see them.

The 10-rounder in your pic actually looks like it could be a newer Marlin or Savage 10-round mag.

Mr. Baker,

The mag you referenced is in deed from the Model 19 and 23A but of the "Sporter" and "NRA Match" versions. But not the Model 19 "Target" or 23AA. I own both versions of the Model 19 as well as the 23AA pictured by Buzzer and the magazines are very definitely not interchangeable between the Model 19 NRA Match, 23A Sporter and the Target Model's. Kindly see the pictures below... To add confusion to an already chaotic matter it seems as though Savage has added the "Sporter" logo to the mags of button screw type mag and then labeled the 23AA rifle as "Sporter" but manufacturing it to take the mag without the button.

Could Savage have muddied the waters more thoroughly in this matter, I'd sure like to see how as this has caused me no end of troubles in my attempt to find mags for a few of these fine old rifles!

Last edited by Guncrank; 10-29-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Well, guess I learn something new every day. LOL I knew the 19's and 23's used the same relatively unchanged action over the years, just didn't know they updated the magazine system somewhere along the way.

Aside from the hole in the side of it, I still say that last photo looks EXACTLY like a current 5-round magazine for a Mark II other than the ears for the retention on the back side are a little deeper on the new ones. If they don't fold around to create a channel on yours, you could try one of the newer ones after doing a little grinding.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Guncrank
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Aside from the hole in the side of it, I still say that last photo looks EXACTLY like a current 5-round magazine for a Mark II other than the ears for the retention on the back side are a little deeper on the new ones. If they don't fold around to create a channel on yours, you could try one of the newer ones after doing a little grinding.

Mr. Baker,

That's kind of how I found a replacement for my 23AA! I was at a local gun show and saw a current production 5 round mag and was able to compare it to the one mag I did have (for the two rifles I own) it was quite close enough. I purchased it and with some Dremel and file work it fit like a glove. That got me looking around inter-web and lead to the mags offered by Johm Masen's site, which are just about perfect right out of the bag.

Kind regards,

GC

Basic Member
    Brownell's sells replacement magazines that should fit the Model 23-AA and 19-33 NRA, the 5 shot was made in at least two slightly different heights which I think were for guns with different size stocks and the shorter version may not fit in a gun with a target stock. Their magazine is listed for the model 35/34/65/85/416/982 but they all are the same (other than possibly the height) http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...=Savage%20Arms The ones I have seen will have an 'S' stamped on the bottom, the Remington version (stamped with an 'R') will also work in a Savage but the notch for the catch is wider, the top is in the same location so in a it will not sit lower than it should, but can be pushed up to high with the action open.

Savage did offer factory 10 shot version of the curved magazine.

For the earlier guns - Triple-K makes 8 round replacement magazines for the earlier guns that took a straight magazine - the 1919 NRA & NRA Match Rifle and the 1922 Sporter & the 23-A Sporter. http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/1125/

The knob on the bottom of these early magazine did nothing more than give you something to grab to remove the magazine which sat flush in the stock. They were very weakly attached, inside they fit flush to the inside of the bottom and are just hit with a punch to expand them in the hole, they are often missing and that does not affect function, just makes it hard to remove them for the gun.

Smile 23AA Mag question

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Well, guess I learn something new every day. LOL I knew the 19's and 23's used the same relatively unchanged action over the years, just didn't know they updated the magazine system somewhere along the way.

I have both the 23AA & MkII and they are not the same mag. The newer square sporter mag is very similar to a Remington mag except it has a small notch for locking while the Remington has a large square one. I found some of these at the Nations Gun show earlier this year for $20 each in 5 and 10 round. In Guncrank's post last picture the notch is visible (very small on the left side about even with the end of the groove).

I have had people try to sell me Remington mags by mistake, these do not work.
    Last edited by gghbi; 11-05-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correction