Thread: New Savage 93 in 22 Mag

22BVGord

New Savage 93 in 22 Mag

It came with a wood stock, but I put it straight away into a Savage laminate stock that came with a .22 bv. (now in a Boyd's). Although the 93 is a standard barrel, it seemed to drop right into the laminate stock and the bottom "metal" also fits fine on the 93. The barrel is fully floated as the channel was cut out for a bull barrel.

Working on sighting it in at 35 and 50 yards and after a half a box of shells, the shots are pretty random around the bulls eye and within about 5" diameter. I know this is not a target gun, but it must do do much better than this. Scope is a Tasco 2-10AO (mainly because I happen to have one not being used) and it seems to be mounted solid. It was doing the same thing with a Bushnell Banner 6-18 AO. All shooting was done off a Caldwell Matrix rest from a bench at at range.

I've never felt the need to bed any of my rifles but this is one option. Can't get the DIP metal shipped into Canada but perhaps machining a magazine plate out of 1/8" metal is another option. I'm guessing at torque re the action screws and perhaps this may be more important with the WMR than with a .22 LR.

Any thoughts from 93 owners who found one/a few helpers to get their rifle shooting a little better. Not into doing a trigger change at this point - it shouldn't really be necessary to get groups within a 1.5 " diameter.
    Last edited by 22BVGord; 08-31-2014 at 02:49 PM.

bremereric
    Pictures?

22BVGord

22 mag

Not techy enough for pics yet (: I found a box of Hornady V-Max 30 grain and also a box of CCI V-Max 30 grain. Shot them today and what an improvement in accuracy over the random placings using Winchester Dynapoint 45 grain. I was getting some side-by-sides where wanted at 25 yrds so on to the 50yd and then the 100yd. Like many have said before - just keep changing ammo until you find what your rifle likes.

savagetoter
    I have a friend who has the 93 in .22WMR and .17HMR both, and that is what prompted me to buy the 93 in .17HMR. I shot both of his rifle a while back, and was able to consistently do better with the .17 over the .22. Now, he did not have any good luck with the 45 grain loads either, and did better with a lighter bullet in the .22WMR. I think your going in the right direction with the lighter bullets for that caliber. I have to admit though, the .22 most certainly bucks the wind better than a .17! Lol.

Downunderimfire
    I have the opposite problem. My 93FSS in .22 WMR hates the fast, light weight rounds but does not too badly using CCI MAXI - MAG or the Remington equivalent.

I tried 4 different brands of ammo and finally i got some cci maxi mag + v 30 gr and now keep a 1" group at 50 yards and am happy with that.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.