Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something besides AR's

Basic Member

Something besides AR's

Looking for a semi auto that doesn't look like the pistol grip ar. Maybe Ruger .223 carbine? They used to shoot 6" at 100yrds, any better now-days? The 512 CZ is a compact accurate .22wmr, hard shooter, need some more punch.

The newer Mini-14's from Ruger are better, my uncle has one in SS and synthetic and it does 2" @ 100yds with just the irons.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

If you are ruling out AK's and AR's, then a agree the Ruger Mini-14 is probably a real good choice. Decent ergonomics. Reliable. Reasonably priced. Definitely not match grade accuracy, but you can shoot tin cans at 100yrds once you get comfortable behind it. They were scarce earlier this year, but we were able to get one on our order this week.

Remington style autos will give you punch. I think they are called model 7400 now??

cstone
    IWI Tavor or Kel Tec RFB if you can find one.

I think Palmetto State still has VZ-2008s for $400. With five magazines and accoutrement, it's a good deal on a unique and interesting gun.

m796rider
    I'm intrigued by the Ares Defense SCR: http://www.americanrifleman.org/blog...-all-50-states

Basic Member
    Can't go wrong with a Springfield M1A
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post

^^^^^+1

Awesome rifles.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    The newer Mini-14's from Ruger are better, my uncle has one in SS and synthetic and it does 2" @ 100yds with just the irons.
    I heard they were improved, good short truck gun.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    +2
    Great gun! My son has one and it is great fun shooting and very accurate.

Also, what about the little Ruger 10/22? Great gun, if you can find ammo!

Basic Member
    Shooting the new CZ 512 22wmr, have plenty of ammo to clean the grund hogs and mud turtles up. What a great little gun, looking for 10rnd mags, no luck. Accurate open sights, that's what got me started on the .223 simi auto bent. Gonna stick to the .223 as I load for it all ready. I looked at Springfield's site, didn't see it in .223.

Any particular reason for the aversion to the AR platform? They are very accurate, dependable and versatile with tons of aftermarket for everything from mild to wild. Since several states have passed more restrictive laws on modern sporting rifles, there have been some creative souls at work with new stock designs eliminating the "pistol grip" feature. Just my opinion but most of these designs look pretty ridiculous. The flat top ARs, though they do retain the pistol grip feature, in my opinion have graceful clean lines and embody a beautiful modern sporting rifle. Other than the tall profile of an AR, What's not to love? Though I'm not a big fan of kel tec for the most part the SU16 may fit your criteria.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 07-25-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

sav250
    I have 3 ARs and one Mini 14 Ranch Rifle that I picked up very recently. I like the Ranch Rifle and put a Trijicon Accupoint (red) 3-9X using the rail mount Ruger included (in case you don't like the heavy huge rings they also have to integrate in the receiver). I can see why going non AR can be exceptionally intriguing and fun.

Basic Member
    Just don't like the looks of the AR's, they shoot well, have several++ available to play with, just sold a Kel Tec pistol. Always been a fan of the Ruger mini, my favorite uncle introdued them to me 50 years ago, his was a 44mag carbine with international stock...don't know which lucky nephew got that one.

Basic Member
    Searched a "local" news/gossip web site (and local is a polite description). Several mini 14/30's for sale. Checked my favorite gun shop in a nearby town, they were only $180 more for a new rifle. Everybody here is stuck at $500.00 used.

Have to add state sales tax, but a better rifle with a factory warranty. And I hope the new rifles are more accurate than the oldies.

What's involved to re-barrel a Ruger mini?

I had a mini14 and it was a darn good rifle. Ex police issue so maybe the quality was a little better than some. Also had a new manufacture M1Carbine. Lots of fun to shoot and could hit paper at 100 yards. Sold them both to build an AR15 and never looked back.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

good question. I too owned one but I oppted to sell it instead of a rebarrel. the barrel on mine was worn to say the least. IMO, the mini is better suited for a ranch hand to shoot open sight if needed. tack driver there not. Scope attachment is a real pain as well.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Been doing some reading and shoping, this may not be the best site to ask these questions, but it's the one I trust the member's input. I get to shoot a friends ar style rifles and found a difference in the recoil I'm guessing due to the stocks or gas venting? His full size remington hunting rifle shoots harder than the short carry carbine. They both are accurate 1-2" at 100yrds with 55gr factory loads.
    Expect to go with .223 because I load for it to varmint and target shoot. Will never compete in matches other than from the farm bench out front, 100yrd-350yrds but like to see small groups.

Can go with the Ruger mini 14 and maybe have it accurized later (same total price), or get an ar style and buy or build it to shoot. Not sure if the mini 14 likes reloads as do the others. That's the only reason I might not use the mini-14.

If I understand, the upper on an ar is the barrel, gas lug and forearm, and the lower is the trigger and mag assembly? So if the barrel is say 8 twist good quality 18-20" and free floated, that's a good place to start? Second, triggers are very important but don't know why a two stage is used. I had the set trigger on my CZ and disabled it, didn't like it. Why not use a good trigger assembly instead? On a two stage, does the trigger have to be released back to cock it even in rapid fire?

Basic Member
    My dad has Browning BARs in 300 win mag and 30-06 and both are very accurate. The BOSS system is pretty cool and actually works. That would be a good option if you're looking for a more traditional style rifle and don't care as much about magazine capacity.

Also, I'd love to have an M1A.... that's the real deal right there. A mini 14 might as well be the snaggle-toothed step cousin (in my humble opinion).

Basic Member
    Sks lol

Basic Member
    .223, .223...did I stutter

Well--I'm going to suggest something so far out you will laugh--but bear with me.

Now I know you want 223 but it seems to me like you like the carbine style but not wed to the idea of an AR. I just got a 16" Rossi M92 SS carbine in 44 mag--and it is by far the most fun and stylish weapon I have ever fired! I believe it is lighter than any semi-auto carbine out there--and it really tames the 44 mag cartridge for those of us who are willing to admit that after a while pounding your hands with a wheel gun hand cannon is not all that fun. I would argue that the the win model 92 lever gun IS the original AR : ) The traditional cowboy action type weapon--coupled with the challenge of shooting irons (the stock ones suck, but can be inexpensively replaced) opens a whole new world of shooting fun and challenges if you are getting jaded with the tacticool scene. And within 100 yards--with the right cartridge and shooter--can probably drop most any game on the planet.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    Been doing some reading and shoping, this may not be the best site to ask these questions, but it's the one I trust the member's input. I get to shoot a friends ar style rifles and found a difference in the recoil I'm guessing due to the stocks or gas venting? His full size remington hunting rifle shoots harder than the short carry carbine. They both are accurate 1-2" at 100yrds with 55gr factory loads.
    Expect to go with .223 because I load for it to varmint and target shoot. Will never compete in matches other than from the farm bench out front, 100yrd-350yrds but like to see small groups.

Can go with the Ruger mini 14 and maybe have it accurized later (same total price), or get an ar style and buy or build it to shoot. Not sure if the mini 14 likes reloads as do the others. That's the only reason I might not use the mini-14.

If I understand, the upper on an ar is the barrel, gas lug and forearm, and the lower is the trigger and mag assembly? So if the barrel is say 8 twist good quality 18-20" and free floated, that's a good place to start? Second, triggers are very important but don't know why a two stage is used. I had the set trigger on my CZ and disabled it, didn't like it. Why not use a good trigger assembly instead? On a two stage, does the trigger have to be released back to cock it even in rapid fire?
    2 stages are an acquired taste kind of thing but also have a certain safety aspect to them. I've built and modified AR's with both 2 and single stage triggers. My basic reason reason for using 2 stage is that you do not always want a hair-trigger light pull single stage--like hunting in the woods--where an AD is possible with a light pull single stage. Because the pressure is built up gradually (with a good 2 stage) you arrive at the trigger break with a steady pressure that makes the second stage release much more controlled than you would have with a single stage with heavy pull. Kinda like the "let-off" on a compound bow. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Thanks Thermaler, went looking yesterday. The guy that hunts the farm is a class III smith and builds these rifles. Was able to sample 6 or so barrel/uppers and lowers in the shop. I had never paid enough attention to these rifles.

If the single stage trigger is set to 3lbs, about like the accu-trigger, is it safer? Leaning to the dpms or rock river lowers, have a barrel maker that does good work just south of here. Go with the wylde? Loading for .223 but want to shoot the "cheap" surplus too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast