Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frontal wind, veritical poi change

Basic Member

It all depends on the angle the wind hits the bullet. If the bullet flys thru a wind that is going up the bullet will go up and if the wind is coming down the bullet will drop. Same goes for the direction the bullet is going. In a straight and level head or tail wind if the bullet is rising in its arc in a head wind the bullet will rise more. If it is falling in a head wind it will fall faster. In a tail wind it is not as pronounced but it does just the opposite. You just have to experience it to believe it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    It all depends on the angle the wind hits the bullet. If the bullet flys thru a wind that is going up the bullet will go up and if the wind is coming down the bullet will drop. Same goes for the direction the bullet is going. In a straight and level head or tail wind if the bullet is rising in its arc in a head wind the bullet will rise more. If it is falling in a head wind it will fall faster. In a tail wind it is not as pronounced but it does just the opposite. You just have to experience it to believe it.
    That's gotta be it!!! Thanks. :)

Basic Member
    I've been shooting competitions for the last 30 yrs, and I would take a tail wind anytime over a head wind.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

You guys with practical long distance shooting know far more than I do--but I'm going to go way out on a limb and throw some ideas out for the sake of discussion ; ).

If you consider a bullet's basic design--it is optimized to reduce friction--and lift induces friction (actually--it produces what's called "boundary layer separation"; in the case of a bullet the vortices produced by this separation "meet" at the trailing surface, just as they do off an aircraft's wing--a reason the popular boat-tail design helps reduce the effect of this trailing vortices). An aircraft flying through the air basically doesn't "see" a crosswind component as long as it's speed is greater than the velocity of the wind hitting it. In practical terms--the velocity of a bullet so vastly exceeds the speeds of random winds that it is virtually inconceivable that it could actually cause a bullet to go up or down as a result of the wind "hitting" the bullet surface. If this were true, than we would likely see instability in the bullet's flight--and the bullet would be "pushed" into yawing/tumbling.

Here is the somewhat "cosmic" part that's a bit hard to explain. Air itself can have tremendous mass when it moves in large areas. That is what I mean when I say the actual bullet trajectory changes little if at all as a result of wind velocity alone--it's the over-all "big box" of the ambient air parcel the bullet is traveling in that "moves" the bullet's path.

The area closest to the ground is the area that experiences the greatest friction of the wind upon the surface of the earth. This results in mechanical mixing of air-masses and to further complicate things the ground itself is convectively heating (heating by the sun). What you have is a pretty dynamic smorgasbord of airmasses doing all kinds of movement. In terms of a head or tailwind, I suspect the greatest effect on the bullet's path is not so much the direction/velocity of the wind as it is an increase or decrease in air density (drag).

Just food for thought!~ LOL
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    You guys with practical long distance shooting know far more than I do--but I'm going to go way out on a limb and throw some ideas out for the sake of discussion ; ).

If you consider a bullet's basic design--it is optimized to reduce friction--and lift induces friction (actually--it produces what's called "boundary layer separation"; in the case of a bullet the vortices produced by this separation "meet" at the trailing surface, just as they do off an aircraft's wing--a reason the popular boat-tail design helps reduce the effect of this trailing vortices). An aircraft flying through the air basically doesn't "see" a crosswind component as long as it's speed is greater than the velocity of the wind hitting it. In practical terms--the velocity of a bullet so vastly exceeds the speeds of random winds that it is virtually inconceivable that it could actually cause a bullet to go up or down as a result of the wind "hitting" the bullet surface. If this were true, than we would likely see instability in the bullet's flight--and the bullet would be "pushed" into yawing/tumbling.

Here is the somewhat "cosmic" part that's a bit hard to explain. Air itself can have tremendous mass when it moves in large areas. That is what I mean when I say the actual bullet trajectory changes little if at all as a result of wind velocity alone--it's the over-all "big box" of the ambient air parcel the bullet is traveling in that "moves" the bullet's path.

The area closest to the ground is the area that experiences the greatest friction of the wind upon the surface of the earth. This results in mechanical mixing of air-masses and to further complicate things the ground itself is convectively heating (heating by the sun). What you have is a pretty dynamic smorgasbord of airmasses doing all kinds of movement. In terms of a head or tailwind, I suspect the greatest effect on the bullet's path is not so much the direction/velocity of the wind as it is an increase or decrease in air density (drag).

Just food for thought!~ LOL
    That is fine thinking but saying the air really has that small an effect leaves you open to attack with "well how do you explain a bullet being pushed sideways with a crosswind" type of question. One must remember that air has mass and as such will affect things it touches no matter how small or fast they might be. Without air the bullet would only be affected by gravity and would impact at almost the same velocity it started at.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    That is fine thinking but saying the air really has that small an effect leaves you open to attack with "well how do you explain a bullet being pushed sideways with a crosswind" type of question. One must remember that air has mass and as such will affect things it touches no matter how small or fast they might be. Without air the bullet would only be affected by gravity and would impact at almost the same velocity it started at.
    It's the air's mass that affects the bullet's flight mostly--not the actual wind velocity per sae... is my argument. In the case of a head or tailwind--it's not the additional or "subtractional" wind component that is going to "push" the bullet around aerodynamically (as if the bullet had "control surfaces" that caused it to rise or fall as the result of a very slight change in apparent wind) so much as the air mass density increasing or decreasing the effects of drag upon the bullet--and the over-all entire air mass movement that "drifts" a bullet's path in the case of a crosswind.

When you think about it--if these slight changes in wind really did push a bullet around--it would be almost impossible to reliably predict where a bullet's path would go.

Basic Member
    Okay, Them, I gotta believe what you say is true, but it's a matter of degree or significance. Clearly a bullet does not have wings, so it will not be affected by a head wind like a plane is, but there's got to be some affect. It's conical shape obviously helps, but it's there nonetheless. Consider a bullet "flying" through water... if it's traveling 500 yards upstream, it will be slower at its final destination than if it's "flying" downstream. Whatever the difference, however slight, will allow gravity a bit more time to affect it's path. Also, if the bullet is angled a bit up or down, the headwind will push against it a little differently than if there was no wind. If there's a difference, then the bullet's path will be affected, if only a little bit. Again, it's a matter of degree. Is it perceptible to the average shooter such as myself? Probably not. To the top shooters at 500-1000 yards? I gotta think so.

BTW, just in case there's any doubt... I am enjoying this :)

Basic Member
    Here's my best example of my point: Consider a football. A perfectly thrown spiral pass into a headwind will travel a different path then the same pass would travel without a head-wind. Yes? No?

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Here's my best example of my point: Consider a football. A perfectly thrown spiral pass into a headwind will travel a different path then the same pass would travel without a head-wind. Yes? No?
    A football is traveling a bit slower than a bullet : ) so it will in fact be subject to "pushing" by a significant head or tailwind--in addition to being "floated" by the general airmass drift. At the speeds a bullet is traveling, the relative density change of the airmass (hence change in drag) is likely going to have far more effect than any change in the apparent wind. Apparent wind is a reference to the "felt" wind the object encounters as a result of it's movement--so if you are walking 2 miles an hour into a 10 mile an hour headwind--then the apparent wind you are "feeling" is 12 mph. Point being--as the projectile's velocity approaches that of the head/tail/cross wind--the more vulnerable it will be to the direct force of the wind acting upon it. In terms of a flying aircraft, going slowly makes it more vulnerable to stall and consequently inability to fly--inn terms of a bullet a loss in stability means yaw/tumble or worse.

BTW--this is all just hypothetical conjecture on my part as it relates to my understanding of flight--so I'm not claiming this is necessarily the gospel truth. But I have trouble seeing why these basic concepts of flight would not also apply to a bullet's flight. : )
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Basic Member
    BTW--this is all just hypothetical conjecture on my part as it relates to my understanding of flight--so I'm not claiming this is necessarily the gospel truth. But I have trouble seeing why these basic concepts of flight would not also apply to a bullet's flight. : )[/QUOTE]

I am no expert on either subject, so everyone has to put up with me more so!

If I dare say you are having trouble with what I believe to be true, it is because your practical and scientific knowledge of flight is interfering. Bullets do not fly. A plane FLIES due to its wings that are airfoils. Airfoils produce lift. therefore a plane has features/virtues that allow it to overcome minor, almost insignificant forces like the gentle push of a breeze. Those virtues are, primarily, an engine and wings. My football example shows that a football must be thrown harder if it is to reach its intended target if thrown into the wind because the wind will act as a force against it. That force will slow it down. That same force is present and affects the path of a bullet for the same reasons, but to an obviously lesser extent. Practically speaking, it won't matter much. But if you're trying to hit a dime at 500 or 1000 yards, it will make a difference. I am guessing 15-20 mph head wind at 1,000 yards will make quite a bit of difference. Maybe a few inches. Certainly that is only a fraction of what a cross wind will do, but a difference nonetheless.

If anything--an aircraft would be FAR more vulnerable to crosswinds/headwinds etc because in general they are flying slower than a bullet and present far more surface area to generate drag. A modern bullet is truly a work of aeronautical art--and it is because of it's remarkable design and performance that enable them to largely "evade" the environmental effects of winds.

I think now would be a good time for a true bullet ballistician to step in--somebody who actually designs bullets for hornady, sierra, berger etc. I'm saying that the majority of the effect on a bullet's trajectory in a head or tailwind is due to increase or decrease in drag in the ambient airmass--not a mere increase or decrease in winds physically exerting enough force to alter the bullet's path. I would love to be told my illusion is wrong--if it is! : )

Cat 64
    BTW--this is all just hypothetical conjecture on my part as it relates to my understanding of flight--so I'm not claiming this is necessarily the gospel truth. But I have trouble seeing why these basic concepts of flight would not also apply to a bullet's flight. : )
    I am no expert on either subject, so everyone has to put up with me more so!

If I dare say you are having trouble with what I believe to be true, it is because your practical and scientific knowledge of flight is interfering. Bullets do not fly. A plane FLIES due to its wings that are airfoils. Airfoils produce lift. therefore a plane has features/virtues that allow it to overcome minor, almost insignificant forces like the gentle push of a breeze. Those virtues are, primarily, an engine and wings. My football example shows that a football must be thrown harder if it is to reach its intended target if thrown into the wind because the wind will act as a force against it. That force will slow it down. That same force is present and affects the path of a bullet for the same reasons, but to an obviously lesser extent. Practically speaking, it won't matter much. But if you're trying to hit a dime at 500 or 1000 yards, it will make a difference. I am guessing 15-20 mph head wind at 1,000 yards will make quite a bit of difference. Maybe a few inches. Certainly that is only a fraction of what a cross wind will do, but a difference nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Foxx and Therm,

I truly believe that you both bring very practical/logical/supported conjectures as to our debate. Could we, for the sake of somewhat arriving to an unanimous conclusion, draw a line and sum up our findings? What do we believe/agree to be true…what is the effect of the wind (cross, head, and tail) to a bullet in flight? What does a shooter need to be aware and make amends for when pulling the trigger? What is he looking for when the information down range is telling him that the wind is increasing/decreasing in intensity either form the front or rear (or sideways)?

Basic Member
    Cat 64, to answer your question: No, I can't !!! LOL

I think, as Therm said, we need more help from a ballistics expert. Personally, I think Sharpshooter and Earl have answered your question, but Therm doesn't agree and I am just goofing around trying to explain what I believe is the basis for their opinions. Apparently they have better things to do or just aren't gonna try to explain what they believe (know?) to be true. :)

It's been fun, but I've exhausted my arguments/reasoning and I am not capable of understanding everything Therm is using for his reasoning.

Seriously, I'm just a "wannabe" long range shooter that likes to argue, debate things. I would really like to see a ballistic expert get in here, for sure. Until then, I'm right, Therm is wrong. JUST KIDDING!

Basic Member
    You guys have to remember that except for a very small fraction of a bullets flight when fired at extended (read 600+ yards) range a bullet is pointed either up or down and is not flying a level path. If you were to the side and could see it in relation to the line of sight is what i am saying. As such you have a surfboard type action of the bullet riding the air. You have to make minute adjustments for mirage which is also a type of air movement where the moving air moves the light around making your target swim.

Therm if you take your plane and get it flying in a perfectly straight and level path in a no wind situation and lock the controls and hit a headwind odds are the plane will fall or rise. A cross wind will blow it off course. Now i don't fly unless someone else is driving but i am just trying to put it in terms you will understand. To use the bullets path in a plane you have a slight nose up with lets say a 100 ft per minute climb at 200 knots and hit a head wind and the only change is to increase power to maintain the 200 knots. You should find yourself at a faster rate of climb due to the added lift. If you make no changes to the controls you will find yourself not only going slower (ground speed) but your climb rate will change also and not always in a predictable way. Updrafts and downdrafts play a big part in all this. Wind coming up a mountain or dropping down over the crest of a mountain is a good example.
    Like i said earlier you just have to get out on the same range and shoot in a no wind, a head wind and a tail wind to see the difference and something like a 223 or 308 at 1000 yards will show the effects pretty dog gone good. Sometimes book learning doesn't jive with practical application.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Earl. I did find this online that corrects some of my misconceptions. (but confirms there is an effect.) :)

To summarize this subsection: A wind from any direction can be resolved into at most three components, a horizontal headwind (or tailwind) component blowing along the line of sight between the shooter and the target, a cross-wind component blowing in a horizontal direction across the shooter’s line of sight to the target, and a vertical wind component blowing upward or downward across the shooter’s line of sight to the target. Headwinds or tailwinds generally have a quite small effect on bullet trajectories, unless the wind is very strong and the range is very long. Crosswinds and vertical winds, however, have serious effects on bullet trajectories. The effect of each component wind can be analyzed separately, and this approach gives insight into wind effects. However, to get accurate calculations of the wind’s effects from any direction, all three components must be analyzed simultaneously, because the wind effects interact, primarily by changing the time of flight of the bullet to the target. Infinity can be used to calculate the effect of any wind component, or to calculate the effects of all components acting simultaneously.

There is a common misconception among shooters that a wind “blows” a bullet off its course as it travels downrange. It is very important to realize that a wind does not “blow” a spin-stabilized bullet off its course. Rather, because of its spin stabilization a bullet turns to follow the wind if the wind direction is perpendicular to the line of sight between the firing point and the target. This will be described in greater detail in Section 4. In the case of a headwind or tailwind, the moving air simply changes the drag on a bullet, because drag depends on the speed of the bullet relative to the air and not the ground. A headwind will increase the drag a small amount, in turn increasing the time of flight and causing the bullet to shoot low. A tailwind will decrease the drag a small amount, in turn decreasing the time of flight and causing the bullet to shoot high.

There is a common misconception among shooters that a wind “blows” a bullet off its course as it travels downrange. It is very important to realize that a wind does not “blow” a spin-stabilized bullet off its course. Rather, because of its spin stabilization a bullet turns to follow the wind if the wind direction is perpendicular to the line of sight between the firing point and the target. This will be described in greater detail in Section 4. In the case of a headwind or tailwind, the moving air simply changes the drag on a bullet, because drag depends on the speed of the bullet relative to the air and not the ground. A headwind will increase the drag a small amount, in turn increasing the time of flight and causing the bullet to shoot low. A tailwind will decrease the drag a small amount, in turn decreasing the time of flight and causing the bullet to shoot high.
    This is pretty much what I've been saying--though maybe stated a little more succinctly. : )--Oh I do draw exception to the notion that a bullet "turns"-- I think "drifts" is a better description. Turn in an aeronautical sense involves yaw and/or roll

But today I couldn't even shoot straight at 100 yds--it was gusty from every direction! LOL (crappy scope actually : ) )
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-04-2014 at 08:32 PM.

But today I couldn't even shoot straight at 100 yds--it was gusty from every direction! LOL (crappy scope actually : ) )[/QUOTE]

" It is a piss poor mechanic that blames his tools".
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    You guys haven't considered "spin drift" & "earths rotation" into the equation yet?

Just Sayin.........:-))

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    But today I couldn't even shoot straight at 100 yds--it was gusty from every direction! LOL (crappy scope actually : ) )

" It is a piss poor mechanic that blames his tools".
    True (and I am not an especially good mechanic--or shooter, for that matter)--but in this case--the eye objective on my Bushnell package scope is so loose it rattles around--there was no way to keep it from shaking around and the lock ring only torqued it to the side. Ya get what ya pays for.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    You guys haven't considered "spin drift" & "earths rotation" into the equation yet?

Just Sayin.........:-))
    I was thinking about that yesterday, but was afraid to bring it up, Conch. :)

I like the rotation of the earth deal. Imagine that... your target is so far away that by the time the bullet arrives, the target has actually moved to the right due to the rotation of the earth!
    Or did it move down?
    East?
    Left ?
    Ah, Crap! :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    True (and I am not an especially good mechanic--or shooter, for that matter)--but in this case--the eye objective on my Bushnell package scope is so loose it rattles around--there was no way to keep it from shaking around and the lock ring only torqued it to the side. Ya get what ya pays for.
    Okay, Therm, but WHY was it rattling? Was the wind blowing it? :)

Cat 64
    Okay, Therm, but WHY was it rattling? Was the wind blowing it? :)
    ...from what direction and what intensity....should we brake it down in three components and analyze it?....lol. Or perhaps the rotation of the earth came into play and span that darn objective...just having fun after some very deep thinking guys...

I just bought a Ruger American--my first non-Savage bolt gun--and simply grabbed the first scope I could find in my box of "package junko scopes" and unfortunately grabbed one of the worst. I gotta tell you that Ruger is very well designed for a budget plasti-stock job. I thought about doing a comparison thread on the Axis list but don't know if it would get "banished" to the "other" lists.

Basic Member
    I think it's almost amazing how much better low-cost rifles can shoot these day. It's kinda good, kinda bad. I wonder if high quality rifles will soon become a thing of the past. (like a fine Swiss pocket watch that can't keep better time than a $5 drug store digital)

Therm I had a guy at the range last year with a bush. and after the second shot the cross hairs actually disappeared, gone nothing left in there. This was on a 30/06 package deal. He ended up with a BSA (not my favorite) and absolutely loves it.Cost around $150.
    Me I like the fixed power SWFA'S and the Mueller variables decent scopes for the money. I have a 6-25 Mueller that I like more than my Weaver T36, to my eye it is just as clear for half the price.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast