Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frontal wind, veritical poi change

Cat 64

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I think it's almost amazing how much better low-cost rifles can shoot these day. It's kinda good, kinda bad. I wonder if high quality rifles will soon become a thing of the past. (like a fine Swiss pocket watch that can't keep better time than a $5 drug store digital)
    Look at the cars...the KIA's and Hyundai’s of the world are so versatile and well made this days. Once upon a time only “well known manufacturers” were producing good/long lasting vehicles…not any more. Same with the rifles…

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Therm I had a guy at the range last year with a bush. and after the second shot the cross hairs actually disappeared, gone nothing left in there. This was on a 30/06 package deal. He ended up with a BSA (not my favorite) and absolutely loves it.Cost around $150.
    Me I like the fixed power SWFA'S and the Mueller variables decent scopes for the money. I have a 6-25 Mueller that I like more than my Weaver T36, to my eye it is just as clear for half the price.
    Preaching to the choir my friend--I have several fixed mag SWFAs--my favorite scope at almost any price. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

OK--untill the thread police bust me--here is a quick list of my impressions about the American:

1. It has an honest-to-God stiff plastic stock--so far I don't see any need to reinforce or bed it.
    2. It features a very nifty steel v "power bedding" which performs the function of pillar bedding and eliminates the need for a lug at the same time. Mating of top receiver to stock is very positive and achieves the same position without "bolt tightening voodoo."
    3. The bolt has a small-angle throw for cocking--meaning the handle will easily clear the lowest-lieing scope objective.
    4. Cold-hammer forged barrel secured with barrel nut-- like a Savage.

Things that I don't like so much, but minor quips:

1. Many reviews compare the trigger to being as good or better than an accutrigger. My opinion--not even close to an accutrigger; both functionally and adjustable-wise--though is "passable" for a marginally adjustable triggerpull. The trigger has no travel at all--it's simply a wall you push and then it breaks. This might change a bit as the trigger wears in.

2. I like to hand-feed my cartridges directly into the chamber--there appears to be a ledge or lip prior to the chamber that hangs the bullet making a hand-feed a bit of a chore--unlike a savage which generally slides right on in.

3. Magazine tends to rattle a bit--I have worries of one of them loaded deciding to part company with the rifle while out bashing around in the woods.

4. I can't say for sure--but the rifle feels a bit heavier than an axis; and doesn't have quite the same "handiness" or ability to come quickly to bear as I have with my axis rifles--but this may be just a question of getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Therm I had a guy at the range last year with a bush. and after the second shot the cross hairs actually disappeared, gone nothing left in there. This was on a 30/06 package deal. He ended up with a BSA (not my favorite) and absolutely loves it.Cost around $150.
    Me I like the fixed power SWFA'S and the Mueller variables decent scopes for the money. I have a 6-25 Mueller that I like more than my Weaver T36, to my eye it is just as clear for half the price.
    Ill step up to the plate on this one.
    I own 3 BSA Tactical 6x24x44 and love them as well...Have never failed me. Lifetime warranty. Cant beat it. Im keeping pace with shooters who sport Leos/Swav/Nikons/NF and alike. I paid 149.99 each at that time. I believe there on sale at 129.99 now at Midway (exclusively)
    I recently looked thru the glass on a Mueller and liked what i saw......
    if I had deeper pockets?.....Id defently get a bad a$$ scope, but the fact of the matter is?....all the components I buy to feed all my children take a toll.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Ill step up to the plate on this one.
    I own 3 BSA Tactical 6x24x44 and love them as well...Have never failed me. Lifetime warranty. Cant beat it. Im keeping pace with shooters who sport Leos/Swav/Nikons/NF and alike. I paid 149.99 each at that time. I believe there on sale at 129.99 now at Midway (exclusively)
    I recently looked thru the glass on a Mueller and liked what i saw......
    if I had deeper pockets?.....Id defently get a bad a$$ scope, but the fact of the matter is?....all the components I buy to feed all my children take a toll.
    I've never bought a scope that was made in China that I didn't regret spending the money on--though I have considered the BSA milrad model that comes with side focus and first-focal plane at around $250. Been burned once too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I've never bought a scope that was made in China that I didn't regret spending the money on--though I have considered the BSA milrad model that comes with side focus and first-focal plane at around $250. Been burned once too many times.
    roger that...been burned as well.
    The main reason I went with BSA,s Tactical model was because of the positive write ups on Midways site.
    I was pleasently suprised how well the BSA Tactical has done for me.
    Curious as to how the glass looks thru the Milrad model....
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123