Thread: New Build

reynoldsfamily3

New Build

I am in the middle of my first bolt gun build. I am using a Stevens 200 long action, it will be getting a 25-06 barrel first, maybe share duties with a 7mm mag in the future. That said, I need to pick out a scope and mount. I live in west Texas so I have long ranges to test my skill; is there a potential downside to choosing a 20 MOA base? I dont mind spending money on a good base, but I would hate to have to replace it soon because I picked the wrong one. What bases are the favorites out there.

Thanks for the help
    Bill

Basic Member
    Most likely not necessary, if your shots are limited to 600 -700 yards. Also depends on the scope's vertical range.

You might start with Burris SIGNATURE rings. Their offset inserts can create a cant it if necessary. I would think EGW standard picatinny would work fine for 25-06.

Only downside I have heard is you might not get 100yard zero with 20 MOA base.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-29-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Only downside I have heard is you might not get 100yard zero with 20 MOA base.
    ^^^^^^ This

What is long range and what will you be using the rifle for?

You could still use the Burris Signature rings with inserts, as mentioned, to create offset instead of a canted base.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

reynoldsfamily3
    I can safely shoot paper and steel over 1000 meters. Hunting will be Mule Deer, Aoudad, Hogs, Javilina, Coyote, and Antelope. I won't be shooting living things over 200 yards or so until I am sure of my rifle and my skill set.