Thread: IMR 8208 XBR .223 68gr load data

Basic Member

IMR 8208 XBR .223 68gr load data

I cannot find a load for this. It is going in a Savage 11/111 XP with 22" barrel and 1:9 twist. This is a Hornady 68gr match bullet.
    My Hornady manual lists 68gr service rifle data, and doesn't include this powder. Neither my Lee manual nor the Hodgdon website list 68gr bullets. A search on Loaddata.com for 68gr came up empty. The bullet is quite similar to Nosler 69gr cc but is a little longer. Should I start at the low-end of 69gr data and work up?

Suggestions, or loads you have used for this combo would be appreciated

Here is data for a 69gr that lists that powder

Look under 223 rem and 69gr bullet.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Try this site, he lists just about everything you can think of as far as loads go.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I have loads from the Hodgon site. I would like to hear from someone with experience that I should be safe using data for 69gr with a 68gr bullet. Considering the bullets are very similar.

Basic Member
    I have not used that powder with that bullet. I have "bent the rules" and carefully done what you are asking to do. I have done it with 8208XBR in a 6BR. I started low and worked my way up. Everything worked out okay. However, I was using a crono (which I rarely bother with) and my STARTING load recorded speeds in excess of 10% HIGHER than all my subsequent loads. At first I thought the chrono was in error (windy day, wasn't mounted sturdy), but later considered the possibility that my starting load was too low and caused a pressure spike. So... IF you decide to do this, PLEASE do NOT make the mistake thinking that you are being "extra safe" by starting real low. It could be just as badd as too high. do I regret it? No. Do I "respect" the "rules" more than before? Yes. Also, I had less info to base my starting load on than you do. I used a lot more speculation. I was not comparing bullets as close as you seem to be doing. Does any of that help?

Note: I do not remember the exact speeds, but the low load (5 shots) was a LOT higher than my next load of only a .5 grain higher. After that, the speeds gradually increased as I increased my loads. They never came close to the first (lowest) load's speed. I'm thinking it was something like 500 fps difference.
    Last edited by foxx; 09-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I have not used that powder with that bullet. I have "bent the rules" and carefully done what you are asking to do. I have done it with 8208XBR in a 6BR. I started low and worked my way up. Everything worked out okay. However, I was using a crono (which I rarely bother with) and my STARTING load recorded speeds in excess of 10% HIGHER than all my subsequent loads. At first I thought the chrono was in error (windy day, wasn't mounted sturdy), but later considered the possibility that my starting load was too low and caused a pressure spike. So... IF you decide to do this, PLEASE do NOT make the mistake thinking that you are being "extra safe" by starting real low. It could be just as badd as too high. do I regret it? No. Do I "respect" the "rules" more than before? Yes. Also, I had less info to base my starting load on than you do. I used a lot more speculation. I was not comparing bullets as close as you seem to be doing. Does any of that help?

Note: I do not remember the exact speeds, but the low load (5 shots) was a LOT higher than my next load of only a .5 grain higher. After that, the speeds gradually increased as I increased my loads. They never came close to the first (lowest) load's speed. I'm thinking it was something like 500 fps difference.
    Yowza! what did the cases/primer pockets look like?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    They looked good, Therm. I don't know for sure there was a pressure spike. The chrono wiggled on the tripod. But I did get very consistent readings from each (different) load. Maybe I just got lucky with all 5 of those first ones. Better lucky than good, they say. :0

cranebird
    Today I was looking through my old .223 test data, thinking I might have some data for the 69 smk but didn't find any. I found 53 V Max,25.8 gr IMR 8208 XBR with a red asterisk in front of the listing. I don't remember using a red asterisk and thought I noted it for a reason, maybe accuracy ? so I load the .223 AI starting at 23.5 gr with the 53 gr V Max and worked it up going smaller steps as I got to 25.8 and then I noticed the primer was starting to flatten out but no stiff bolt opening or nothing so I bumped it up to an even 26.0gr, thinking the .223Ai would be good to go beyond the standard .223. I fired a round and as I was waiting in between sending the next round out I looked at the primer in the fired case and the primer was blanked through .No stiff bolt opening, nothing else but I quit and pulled the other two rounds apart. Lol. I'll remember if I see a red asterisk again.....

Basic Member
    Geez, CRANE!!! How 'bout RED BOLD LETTERS?! Like STOP! TOO HOT! lol

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Geez, CRANE!!! How 'bout RED BOLD LETTERS?! Like STOP! TOO HOT! lol
    Apparently, I am still learning or flying by the seat of my pants.......I don't normally list the loads that produce pressure signs, the difference between the old and the new is not always a given. if you see primers looking like this, you might want to stop like I did.......

Basic Member
    So I loaded 3 groups: 21.5, 22.2, 23.1. I will shoot them in order and watch for any signs of pressure.

Basic Member
    I'd rather see ya go about .3 grain increments.

also, in all likelihood, 68 g bullet will allow/require slightly more powder than 69, all else being equal. (which it's not, we know.)
    Last edited by foxx; 09-06-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Basic Member
    Does 0.3 really make that much of a difference?

Basic Member
    I think it does with that small of a cartridge/load.

Basic Member
    Well, that's why I'm here...to leArn from people with experience.
    I'll keep a close eye for signs of pressure as I move through these.

Basic Member
    Got to go to the range today. Shot all 3 loads, plus a low end H4895 load (24.2 gr). No signs of high pressure from any of the loads. I have not looked closely at, or measured the groups yet.

What was interesting is the H4895 seemed to group well, but each time was about 2" high, and a little right.

Basic Member
    2" high a little right of what? A different load? That's not an issue. It's to be expected. Just find a good 1/2 inch load that is consistent and shoot it.

That's what those nobs on the top and side of your scope are for. :)