Thread: what to do hmmm

JustinNC

what to do hmmm

Just picked up 10 on impulse. Pre-accutrigger 270WSM. Not sure what I want to do. Don't have any particular wants or needs. Bone stock.

New to the savage build world. What are my caliber choices with said boltface and action? How much would I need to change to go over to the 308 family?

In the mean time I'll keep reading and wearing the search function out.

Basic Member
    A sharpshooter trigger would be an improvment. Not sure other changes would improve it much.
    But then i guess changing things can be exciting also.

A standard (308/30-06) bolt face, firing pin, and a 308 Winchester magazine box and follower is all you'll need to convert to the 308 cartridge family. If the action has the standing ejector you'll need to remove it and install a regular ejector, ball, and spring in the new bolt head. Any barrel you purchase will need to be threaded for a large shank action. Without changing the bolt head, your caliber choices are the WSM's and their wildcats, the WSSM's with some work to make them feed properly, the SAUM family, and the 350 or 6.5mm Remington Mags.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

JustinNC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    A standard (308/30-06) bolt face, firing pin, and a 308 Winchester magazine box and follower is all you'll need to convert to the 308 cartridge family. If the action has the standing ejector you'll need to remove it and install a regular ejector, ball, and spring in the new bolt head. Any barrel you purchase will need to be threaded for a large shank action. Without changing the bolt head, your caliber choices are the WSM's and their wildcats, the WSSM's with some work to make them feed properly, the SAUM family, and the 350 or 6.5mm Remington Mags.
    Thanks. Exactlythe kind of info I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    + 1
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

JustinNC
    Back up. Brain storming. Hate to get rid of it. Don't necessarily NEED it though. Dont have access to a good range. Thinking about sending it to the classifieds, although I swore I'd never sell another gun. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

I have lots of guns I don't "need". But I'm not selling any of them either.
    stick it in the back of the safe and when the time comes that you have a need for it, convert it over to something that works for you.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

JustinNC
    That's what I plan on doing. Just moved a few months ago and haven't found a good range close by

Basic Member
    Is it.controlled feed?

JCalhoun
    Where are you located?