Thread: Staggered Feed 110 Modification for Magnum Length Cartridges?

Chris in Idaho

Staggered Feed 110 Modification for Magnum Length Cartridges?

I want to convert my 110 .30-06 to .375 H&H. I've searched quite a bit and based on threads here I've learned that the action is long enough for the big rounds, and even bigger STW rounds, however the magazine and the hole in the bottom of the receiver are not. Apparently you used to be able to buy an Ultra Mag magazine but it's discontinued.

So my plan is to buy a .300WM magazine, cut the front off of it, cut the front portion off my current magazine and weld/braze/solder/JBweld or otherwise graft the two together to make one SUPERMAGAZINE! Then I plan to mill out the rear of the mag opening in the bottom of the receiver to make it long enough for the new magazine.

My questions are these:

1) Does my 110 have enough bolt travel? With the bolt all the way at the rear there is some unused space between the front of the bolt and back of the magazine. Is this typically enough or do I need to modify for more bolt throw?

2) If I need more bolt throw, can I just mill a notch in the back of the bolt shroud where the stop hits it? Is there anything I need to be especially aware of before modifying the bolt shroud?

3) Once I build my supermagazine, how do I attach the back of it to the receiver that has been milled out? Do I need to cut a new groove in the receiver with a key seat cutter or is there an easier way?

4) Will the RUM/STW follower that is supposedly still available fit through my supermagazine or is there a rib or some other feature that is going to be in the wrong spot from the WinMag magazine?

5) If anybody has pics of a Savage converted to .375 H&H I'd love to see them for motivation!

KRP
    I've sectioned and welded stagger feed magazines to make them longer...don't waste your time. Use a center feed mag and notch the front to let the bullet protrude. Mill the front baffle(I'm assuming that is what you meant by "bolt shroud") as needed to lengthen bolt throw. I just bed the mag box into the stock but if you really wanted I'm sure you could use the clip that the factory uses for the center feed magazine.

Chris in Idaho
    You're right I meant to say baffle... Once you notch the front of the center feed magazine do the stored rounds have a tendency to migrate forward under recoil? Unless I'm picturing it wrong it seems like the nose of a bullet could get hung up underneath the feed ramp area of the receiver? I'm half toying with the idea of getting a laminated stock, should I order one for a centerfeed? Will I be running the magazine further back than normal for the extra length?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    The factory H&H magazines were actually 2 that were tig welded together for an increased length of .220". The weld is 1.625" from the front of the magazine, and the total length is 3.755".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Chris in Idaho
    That is wonderful info, very helpful thanks!