Thread: Scope bedding

Basic Member

Scope bedding

How many of you bed your scope rails.

highorder
    I considered it, but the 1913 Weaver base I mounted fit so well I didn't think it was necessary.

Basic Member
    Yes I've bedded two but I couldnt offer much insight into the benefits of it, but yea I've bedded two.
    The one thing I did notice while fitting the base was that it did not fit correctly, the back of the base floated above the action. It did not require much force to seat it but it still.... So I guess one reason to bed a scope base is to relieve stress between the base and action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    . So I guess one reason to bed a scope base is to relieve stress between the base and action.
    I think that's the only point to it. If you found a gap before bedding it, there's stress somewhere if you don't.
    Next question would maybe be: Does it matter? :)

Basic Member
    Ok thanks I have a browning A bolt 270 with a leupold that doesn't stay set I will have to check it on that rifle. It will probably never be used again since I got my new one

I bedded mine. A Night Force rail onto a Savage Model 12 .308 Palma. It didn't need much. I watched a few videos on You-Tube and went from there. I was going to lap the NF rings, however NF doesn't recommend that. Does it make a difference? If you're trying to squeeze everything out of the package it probably does if your that caliber of shooter. That's what I understand. In the end I did it because I could and I wanted to.

D.ID
    I once fought a "mystery failure" in my system, fought it for a couple weekends before determining it to be an issue with the base.
    Now days I am so paranoid about it that I not only bed every base but I bond them on at the same time.
    Never have to worry about unsupported or stressed rails and never have to worry about them coming loose.