Thread: First Reloads in Savage TH XP .308

Clint

First Reloads in Savage TH XP .308

Put my first hand loads through my savage trophy hunter.

First is 150 gr SMK with 46.5 grains of BL-C (2) at 100 yards

Second is 150 gr TSX with 46.5 grains of BL-C (2) at 100 yards.

Third is the same SMK load at 200 yards.

I'm really needing to work on my shooting discipline. I know this rifle is more accurate than I am. Just not sure what to do or where to start.

Bearguide444
    as far as your shooting discipline all I can say is practice practice and more practice trigger time is a good thing.

6.5 Guy
    Your vertical spread is good. That tells me that you are in an accuracy node your gun likes with those two loads. I would almost be willing to bet wind was the culprit for your large groups.

Clint
    Thanks guys. I bought some snap caps to practice slow and consistent trigger pull.

Wind may be the issue. According to target calculator my 200 yard group is sub moa. All of my other groups including previous range trips with factory loads are 1.5 to 2 moa. I currently have no way of judging wind speed. That very well could be an issue.

Plan on heading back out tomorrow with the same hand loads to get more practice behind the trigger.

I'm also going to run some tests with the perfecta ammo from Walmart. Cheap plinking ammo and I can reload with better bullets once they're empty.

Clint
    I've also got some varget on the way. Be here in a week or so. Wanting to test out some 168 and 175 grain projectiles as well.

You are shooting as well with the SMK at 200 as at 100. Nothing wrong with that. Would be interested in knowing the shot order....where in the order is the flyer?

Basic Member
    Yeah, to all of above, but I bet you're doing something that is making you pull your shots left/right. I am not an instructor or expert, by any means, but, because your vertical is so good, I gotta ask... Are you using sand bags for a front and rear rest? Looks to me like you are not using a rear rest and/or you are squeezing/choking the grip. Relax your grip and press the trigger straight back with good follow through and be sure to breathe well, holding maybe just half a breath on the exhale for a few seconds at most. Any more and your vision starts to go south.

Clint
    In the 100 yard groups the first shot was the left hole. Not sure about the 200.

As far as rests I used a caldwell xla 9-13 bipod for the first time today and a homemade rice rear bag.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the tight grip and not following through. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far. Keep the constructive criticism coming please.

Basic Member
    Also, seating depth can have a big effect on horizontal stringing. I generally start at the lands and work back in .005 increments. You should find a sweet spot that holds tighter and then opens again past that amount.

Easiest way I know to test for it is to load up a bunch at your max (lands or little more) and the take a Lee hand press and gauges to the range. Keep track of where you're at and shoot 3-shot groups before seating them a little deeper... see what happens.

I think I got my Lee on sale for $25-30. Slicker than goose

snot.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-26-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Clint
    Thanks Foxx. I actually am using a lee hand press for reloading. I will mess with my seating depth but for now I think my main thing is fundamentals. I think trigger follow through and recoil management are where I need to spend some time first.

Clint
    Pink dots are 223. Orange dots are first 3 SMK shots. Holes are second 3 round SMK group.

Watched some videos last night. Just trying to apply fundamentals and follow through on trigger pull. It's pretty windy but I'm happy with that 3 shot group.

Basic Member
    Nice. Quite the improvement.

That was 300 yards? or maybe 500?

Clint
    Haha in time foxx. I should probably try 300. Seeing how my groups from yesterday 200 yards was my best one.

Today may have been a fluke but I'll keep practicing.

Basic Member
    I rarely get to shoot beyond 100 yards.

Clint
    Luckily I have a pasture I can shoot in now. Longest range finder would pick up was 420 yards for some reason. I know I can get to at least 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Pink dots are 223. Orange dots are first 3 SMK shots. Holes are second 3 round SMK group.

Watched some videos last night. Just trying to apply fundamentals and follow through on trigger pull. It's pretty windy but I'm happy with that 3 shot group.

Looking much better!

Clint
    Went out and set up my 10" steel plate today. Took a few quick shots. 5 at 200 yards and 3 at 300 yards.

I love shooting this thing so far but I need to get some chain to hang it. The splatter was eating the nylon rope. That's the reason I backed out to 300 and then left so quick.

That instant gratification is awesome.

Apex-Predator
    44.5gr of Varget and a 150gr Speer BTSP, without a doubt the most accurate load in my 308, I only load hunting bullets but I could easily keep it in the X ring all day at 100.