Thread: Barrel choice?

cro789

Barrel choice?

When it comes down to a new barrel which has proven the best? Shilen or McGowen Precision Barrels. I know that both are good, but having to the best is what I am after.

Tokimini
    I have both, a Shilen on a Remington 700 chambered in 204 Ruger and a McGowen on a Savage in 6BR. The Shilen is an excellent barrel and groups as well as I had hoped it would. The McGowen is an excellent barrel and it's accuracy is starting to border on the unbelievable. It is now shooting five shot groups at 100 yards in the .2s on a consistent basis and I have gotten it in the .1s. From my personal experience Shilen makes a great barrel, McGowen makes an astounding barrel. Get the McGowen.

Basic Member
    I don't think either company has made the claim that anyone has proven one of them is better than the other. If they won't make that claim for themselves, neither will I. :) They are both better than I can shoot.

Seriously, as far as I am concerned, the one you install will be the best. Get whichever offers you the better customer service or has it in stock when you contact them. Also, check with jim at Apache Gun Works.
    Last edited by foxx; 09-04-2014 at 10:48 PM.

cro789
    I will be going with the Shilen due to the fact they have it in stock. Thanks for your input on this.

Quote Originally Posted by cro789 View Post
    I will be going with the Shilen due to the fact they have it in stock. Thanks for your input on this.
    I have a few Shilen barrels, they are great barrels!

michaelnel
    You ought to check the Criterion barrels through Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter's Supply

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

I have one of their 28" bull barrels in .308 and couldn't be happier with the barrel or the service Jim and Brenda have provided. NSS sells Shilen barrels too, if that is the way you want to go.

cro789
    Thanks michaelnel I have been talking to Jim and that is who I am ordering the barrel from. He is very helpful and knows what he is talking about. We did talk about the Criterion barrels and the Shilen as well. We decided to go with the Shilen due to the fact they have a blank in stock.