Thread: Replicating Factory Loads

Basic Member

Replicating Factory Loads

Since we know or at least think we know some factory recipes could we put up a listing?

Like the following which I believe to be a very good clone is above max load according to most currently published loads for 175gr bullets. Even Nosler shows 63.5 7828 as max for a 175gr bullet which really is mild if I stopped at 63.5 I may as well be shooting a 7-08 as thats about the velocity I would expect to see. Of course at 63.5 primers look absolutely round with a light strike mark.

Clone 7mm RM 175gr Core-Lokt

175gr psp cl
    66.4 gr IMR 7828
    RP brass
    Primer Remington #9 1/2
    2850fps 24" barrel

The above is above most published max load data. As always start low and work up.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Factory ammo makers do not load canister grade powder. Canister grade stuff that the reloader can purchase, is the waste market. When Ford needs new window switches, they don't call Napa....

Also no factory loads cases by grains, they load volume as in Cc's.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I get the differences. No argument from me there. Also explains the 110 ES we recently logged from factory ammo. A clone.recipe does give a point of.reference. I happened to be working up some 175gr loads and when the numbers published didn't seem to correlate with my results in 4 different rifles with 3 cases commonly available. So it occured to me others might save a few rounds with a more realistic baseline to compare with. This just happened to be the most available powder for me with an exceptable temperature deviation. If not for that I'd pack some magpro in there n call er done. Also 7828 is frequently referred to as "The Remington Load" for the big 7.

acemisser
    it is impossible to duplicate factory loads..You don't have the same rifle or so called
    universail receiver...And you don't have a controled invirament.....It aint possible..
    and mostly you have not got the same powder as they use..

While I agree that it might be impossible to duplicate factory loads. It is not impossible to replicate a factory loads performance in a given firearm. I will give for example my Savage 10 BA. It shoots FGMM with great accuracy. Averaging at 100 yards .3 to .5 five shot groups. That is with me doing my part as the shooter. I tried various loads during my reload work up. Nothing would come as close as the factory ammo. Now part of this was certainly my fault as I was using .5 grain steps in my load work up. Several months ago I spoke to a long range shooting instructor and he said try this particular load. In his opinion it was a spot on for the factory FGMM. I tried this load over several different days. Speed and accuracy were almost an exact match out of my rifle. I used 42.8 grains 4064, GM210M primers, 168 grain SMK and the prepped FGMM brass, COAL was 2.81 reload and factory ammo velocities were within 15 fps of each other. So for me replication of factory performance was achievable.

Basic Member

Musing Thoughts

I just find it helpful to have a reference point. The best 308 loads aren't necessarily the max load by any stretch and it helps to know that.

Sometimes the book loads can be deceptive. The web can be helpful but often old info hasn't kept up with changes in components ect. Sometimes old standards hold true.

I tried one Pet Load and the only component change was the primer. I used a standard cci instead of a br-4. The load was so close to the hot end once the barrel warmed up primers started popping.

Clearly my rifles faster twist rate (info not posted with said load) pushed the pressure to high. Had I used a 1:12 the load would probably shot fine.

Usually factory loads can be used in in any rifle without many issues. Replicated loads aren't necessarily optimized. But usually what goes bang and produces a given known velocity with known components will perform simularly in barrels of the same length regardless of manufacturers.

Especially factory sammi spec barrels. 223 might be the widest exception where manufacturers have deviated.from spec often and Savage is a shining example of that.

Custom barrels aren't necessarily going to behave as well. But chances are by the time a handloader is buying custom chambered barrels they have progressed their process and practices too.

Basic Member
    If you work up an OCW load. http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/
    It should work in different rifles. I have tested it myself, and it does work.

Basic Member
    It does remove a lot of the voodoo and mystique of handloading.