Thread: Savage wins against customs in Columbus, WI Balloon Shoot

LRGoodger

Savage wins against customs in Columbus, WI Balloon Shoot

After qualifying in factory class on Saturday, July 20th, I shot a clean target in the match, albeit involved the wrong target at 440 yds. I still took fifth even with the 440 yard balloons forfeited. Something went wrong with my custom gun, so it did not qualify on Saturday.

Sunday I shot two more cleans with the 6BR Savage to win factory class. At that point, not knowing where my custom gun was zeroed, I decided to shoot the Savage in the custom class. It performed as flawlessly as it had been doing, shooting two more cleans to wind up in a four way tie for first place in custom class. IBS 600 yard targets were posted at 600 yards for the tie-breaker. After unlimited sighters for five minutes, each shooter fired five shots at the target for score. As the target runners were driving out to fetch the targets, I asked those other top shooters from around the Midwest, "Wouldn't it be funny if I beat you guys' custom guns with this factory Savage?"

"No, that wouldn't be funny at all," came a reply.

Well, I won it by two points. It was a day to be remembered for me and one that will not soon be forgotten by the custom rifle shooters. That Savage shoots!

Thanks Terry for a challenging, fun filled weekend in July up in Columbus!

SWEET!! Congratulations.

Team Savage
    LOVE IT LOVE

Outstanding, Way To Go

it

Basic Member
    Very sweet what model where you shooting

LRGoodger
    Quote Originally Posted by basshawg42 View Post
    Very sweet what model where you shooting
    It's a model 12 LRPV 8 twist in 6BR. I was shooting 30.0 grains of Varget behind 105 Berger Hybrids. I can't get up to 31 grains with the Varget in this gun like I do in my custom 6BRs. The barrel looks like a railroad track inside, but it sure shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by LRGoodger View Post
    The barrel looks like a railroad track inside, but it sure shoots.
    That made me chuckle. :-)

Nice shooting!
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    I just bought a model 12 LRP in the 6.5 creedmore and it's shoots great hadn't got to shoot it much yet had to send scope back

mongose
    I need some expert advice. Bought a Savage 6BR 1:12 about 5 years ago for Factory Class benchrest at the local club. Put about 3000 or more rounds through it. Mostly with 28gr H322, Berger 80gr, Reimgton 7 1/2 primer, Lupua Brass. Accuracy was originally good (Good being .5 or less at 100 and .9 or less at 200) but then seemed to suffer. Tried different powders, bullets but no real improvement. Thought I'd try an new barrel from Savage (we have to maintain the same factory components). Got a new fluted, 1:12. Broke it in per specs. After several months it's shooting worse than the original barrel. Lucky to stay 1" at 100 and 2" at 200. Saw in the Savage Catalog they offer the LRPV only in 1:8 twist (at least that's all they list). So they changed from a 1:12 to a 1:8. Now why would they do that? And any ideas how I can improve my accuracy short of buying a Cooper? My buddy has a Cooper 22 and he's kicking my butt big time. He's scoring the way I use to. Are the Savage barrels any good? How can a Cooper with a small barrel shoot so much better than s LRPV with a 1" barrel?
    Last edited by mongose; 09-18-2014 at 10:43 PM.

mongose
    I need some expert advice. Bought a Savage 6BR 1:12 about 5 years ago for Factory Class benchrest at the local club. Put about 3000 or more rounds through it. Mostly with 28gr H322, Berger 80gr, Reimgton 7 1/2 primer, Lupua Brass. Accuracy was originally good (Good being .5 or less at 100 and .9 or less at 200) but then seemed to suffer. Tried different powders, bullets but no real improvement. Thought I'd try an new barrel from Savage (we have to maintain the same factory components). Got a new fluted, 1:12. Broke it in per specs. After several months it's shooting worse than the original barrel. Lucky to stay 1" at 100 and 2" at 200. Saw in the Savage Catalog they offer the LRPV only in 1:8 twist (at least that's all they list). So they changed from a 1:12 to a 1:8. Now why would they do that? And any ideas how I can improve my accuracy short of buying a Cooper? My buddy has a Cooper 22 and he's kicking my butt big time. He's scoring the way I use to. Are the Savage barrels any good? How can a Cooper with a small barrel shoot so much better than s LRPV with a 1" barrel?
    Last edited by mongose; 09-18-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Basic Member
    Sounds like you keeping making the same mistakes over and over. Start from scratch. Very first thing to do is verify that your scope is not the culprit. The best barrel in the world won't shoot coupled with a bad scope.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

mongose
    Heading back to the range with a different scope

LRGoodger

6br lrpv

Quote Originally Posted by mongose View Post
    Hey mongose, I won a local match yesterday with my own 1:12 Savage 6BR LRPV yesterday. This is my other LRPV, not the 1:8 I won the balloon match in Wisconsin with. It has 3000 rounds on it and still shooting like a champ. I won the tie-breaker by hitting three out of four orange paintballs at 200 yards. They are smaller than a dime, measuring 1/2" diameter. The Savages take more work than my custom barrels when cleaning to keep the carbon down in the chamber area (because of the heavy tooling marks). I don't scrub down to bare metal in the first six inches of barrel, but I get most of the carbon out until I can see the copper underneath it that has embedded itself into the tooling grooves with my bore scope.

Darn good shootin!

Basic Member
    Well done !!

Basic Member
    Gotta love them Savage's!! Very nice shootin!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]