After searching and finding
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19971.0.html

This was discussed, but not addressed or finalized, really.

Savage 16FHLSS 7-mm-08 Twist Rate
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
In early December I bought a brand new 16FHLSS (Hinged floor plate, left handed) in 7mm-08 Remington. After I ordered it, I got around to reading the 2008 Savage catalog in detail and found the published twist rate was 1 in 11.5" However, the web site claims 1-9.5".

Now a twist rate 1-9 or 1-9.5" is almost universal for any 7 mm. Remington, Browning and Winchester use 1-9.25" for every 7 mm they sell (7mm-08, 7mm WSM and 7mm Rem Mag.) and even Savage uses 1-9.5 for their 7 mm Rem Mag and 1-10" for the 7 mm WSM.

A twist of 1-11.5 seems abnormally slow for a 7mm, particularly a relatively low velocity round like the 7-08. I'm concerned it may not stabilize anything above 140 gr, if that.

So, I called Savage to see which twist was correct, 1-11.5" or 1-9.5", hoping it was the later. I called on three occasions and each time I was told it was 1-11.5" but no one seemed to know how they choose it.

I've tried to measure the twist using a tight patch on a cleaning rod and seeing how far the rod traveled for one rotation but the results have been ambiguous.
I posted there but hit this: Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 45 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

So, here goes a first post. What is the twist rate for the Savage's 7mm-08 ? My concern comes from the Berger bullets website where they recommend a 1:10 twist for their target bullets 140g or over. Thanks !!

Is anyone shooting the Berger or SMK >140 gr target or VLD match bullets with any success ?