Thread: Barrel cleaning

Basic Member

Barrel cleaning

Do you guys oil your barrels after cleaning or do you shoot it dry

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshawg42 View Post
    Do you guys oil your barrels after cleaning or do you shoot it dry

I'll run a patch though the bore and mop the chamber with Break-Free. Before shooting them I patch out the bore and mop the chamber with denatured alcohol then run a patch or two with Lock-Ease through the bore only, nothing in the chamber.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Fenrir
    From a target shooting standpoint, I leave oil in my bores after cleaning but I remove it prior to shooting. For several years I cleaned my bores and then left a thin film of Kroil or Hoppe’s #9 in them for corrosion protection. I have since discovered EEZOX, a synthetic oil, and use it exclusively after bore cleaning. It is an excellent rust preventative. I leave a thin film in the bore during storage and then remove it by running a dry patch or two down the bore prior to shooting. So I effectively shoot my barrels “dry”. All of these chemicals are very thin and chances are you will not cause any damage if you fire a shot down a bore containing a film of it, I have forgotten to remove it on several occasions without suffering any damage. I have also found that the first shot out of a clean and dry barrel will stand a better chance of going into the group than will a shot fired through a clean and oily barrel.

Basic Member
    I shoot 10 foulers immediately after cleaning. I only oil the bore for long term storage (more than 8-10 months.) Everyone has a method they're most comfortable with, if your method works for you, go with it. You can't care for your guns or your kids too much.

Basic Member
    I live in a very dry climate so I don't worry much about rust. Because of this I shoot em dry
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    I store them lightly oiled, but patch them dry and fire a fouler or 2 prior to beginning the hunting season. If I happen to be out on a rainy day, a bit of electrical tape from a partial roll I carry in my daypack gets stuck over the muzzle for protection.

After cleaning I put a very light coat in the bore, then wipe it out before I shoot it with a couple of patches. That way if I dont get to shoot for a while my barrel is protected and if I get to shoot soon, its no problem to wipe it out.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

seanhagerty
    I dont clean my barrel often. It shoots fine. I use a stainless steel barrel, so I am not worried about rust. I figure why clean it, because I am just going to have to foul it again.