Thread: Muzzle Brakes?

rob.dizz.89

Muzzle Brakes?

Hey everyone, putting together a long range .308 build and the opportunity has arisen for me to have the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. It'll have 5/8"-24 threads....I guess I was just curious if anyone had any experience with muzzle brakes and could recommend a good one? I went on Midway's site and looked some up, but the list went on and on until I couldn't discern one from another so my search seemed pointless. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Had the DPMS brake from Midway on my heavy barrel 308. Like it a lot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910...eel-parkerized

michaelnel
    I find the .308 recoil to be very mild. I cannot see a reason I would want a muzzle brake on it. A .338 Lapua, sure, but not a .308.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    I find the .308 recoil to be very mild. I cannot see a reason I would want a muzzle brake on it. A .338 Lapua, sure, but not a .308.
    This was how I thought for a long time. Still would but since trying one on a 260 rem and it goes.from mild recoil to the point muzzle jump is so minimal I can see hits instantly. The sideways blast is not as much of an annoyance as with big bangers. (Everyone wears safety glasses and hearing protection true?) The 260 rem honestly has less recoil then my 223. Granted it weighs 5lbs more but it's absolutely a thing of beauty from a bi-pod.

I say go for it.

Basic Member
    Last fall I shot a 25-06 with a muzzle brake. :)
    It belonged to an elderly deer hunter. It was awesome. Totally unnecessary, but a joy just the same.

Vince
    My 6.5x284 has a brake, as does my .338 Win Mag.
    If you're going to purchase a brake, and not use one made by a Gunsmith, I'd recommend the Vias brake. My hunting partner has them on all of his rifles. The one on my 6.5x284 came with the brake installed by Savage and a Gunsmith made the one for my .338 Win Mag.

Ross brakes are about as good as it gets with a great price.
    http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooter...zzleBrakes.htm

Basic Member
    I had an experience with a friend a while back that completely sold me on the JP Enterprises Howitzer muzzle brake. I chuckled because it sure isn't pretty. Buddy has a Savage 300WM very similar to mine except his has one of these brakes and mine has none. We each shot them both side by side. I can honestly say the recoil was no more than my 223 that I was also shooting. I could easily shoot his 300 all day with zero fatigue. He also has this same brake on a JP Custom AR target rifle I shot. It is like shooting a 22lr. The barrel simply does not move and there is no recoil. This is not the prettiest brakes out there but it is the most effective I have ever shot. I am sold, if I ever do get a brake, this will be the one. As with most any brake, you better be wearing ear protection!

Jetpig, you have convinced me to try the JP brake next time I need one. I almost bought one the last time, but have been so happy with my Ross brakes. Guess it is time for a change.

D.ID
    I am running Ross brakes on so many I am not sure how many anymore. Great at any price but for what he sells them for I feel a little guilty every-time I thread one on. Great guy and product at a steel of a price.
    I shot my 308 without for a long time but threaded one on out of curiosity and I love watching the bullet impact so much that I can not bring myself to remove it. Besides it just did not seem right to switch from a full tilt 338 edge down to a 308 and at the same time be stepping up in recoil.

I'll vote for the Ross brake. Best brake for the money. Cheap install's a well.

But, I'm going away from brakes on my rifles to suppressors. Just finished a Form 1 22lr can build. Also just picked up my 30 cal YHM SS Phantom QD.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    I shoot a 260 with a brake and it a dream to shoot all day. Best part is calling my own corrections. Mine is just a cheap ebay 3port brake but it works really well.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxn316 View Post
    Best part is calling my own corrections. Mine is just a cheap ebay 3port brake but it works really well.
    I have an inexpensive three port brake from ebay also, it's very effective. It was less than $55 delivered, you can install it yourself, and you can spot your own hits all day long.
    Last edited by 390fe; 08-26-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more info

BW64
    I shoot 1000 yard bench rest with a Rem 700SPS 26". Bought a clamp on, yes I said clamp on brake from Witt Machine in Colorado. What a joy to shoot. Guys at the range were all over it. 3 of them bought one for their rifles.

BW

Basic Member
    I have the JP Beenie Cooley on my .270 AI >>>

Last edited by FEENIX; 08-26-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Second that for Bennie Coolie by JP Enterprises. .. have it on my aught six... just naaaasty!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    The reason I use one is that
    1. It comes std on my Savage 10 FLCPK
    2. Reduced flinch at extended range sessions.
    3. Reduced fatigue after shooting for several hours
    4. Less muzzle jump which allows faster target engagement for faster follow up shots
    5. Less muzzle jump which allows you to see target misses and adjust accordingly for holdover etc.

Basic Member
    is there any way to calculate how much a brake will reduce recoil?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    is there any way to calculate how much a brake will reduce recoil?
    I have not seen any (yet) but most of the claims are in percentage ... too many variables. Jerry from JE Customs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfPrlE5SX0) and Dean Maisey of DF Maisey Muzzle Brakes from New Zealand (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsOQWA3-NLY NOTE: multiple parts video) did one of the best IMHHO muzzle brakes video test comparison.

Cheers!

Ed
    Last edited by FEENIX; 09-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.