Thread: What's left of my brand new Savage Axis rifle .270 win.

Edzzed

What's left of my brand new Savage Axis rifle .270 win.

Bought this rifle at the end of June 2014 from wholesale sports. I had never fired it. 1st to go was the black plastic stock, I put a Boyd's stock on for 116.00 Then the scope, that had to go. New they sell on US Ebay for 40.00 bucks. I tried getting them to delete the scope and price it accordingly. Oh well, I put the scope on my .22 the new scope is a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 for 188.00 Then we put a 23.00 bipod on and 15.00 sling. Sold my old stock for 60.00 so I have a total of about 620.00 into it. That said I then fired it. OMG, I don't flinch at the recoil. But the BOOM. I was up in the mountains overlooking Alouette lake in BC and there were boaters probably looking for the thunder clouds. That BOOM went around the lake and back. Lesson learned lay down on the ground and fire it, Not from the bed of a truck with a canopy, And earplugs, Don't forget them again. I had only ever fired a .22 so I know to squeeze the trigger and not pull it but that BOOM from the .270 geez. Never been around guns except .22's. That said I also have a riflebasix trigger on it's way. add 100 for that so am at 720.00 and then there is a 20.00 scope rail rounding it up to 740.00 which is an educated overall guestimate. I also have 20 lbs of shockwave I get to shoot in less than a month. We take our vacation after kids go back to school. For what I have, Could I have bought better stuff in used merchandise or did I do better buying all new.
    Last edited by Edzzed; 08-23-2014 at 12:59 AM.

jasta
    nice rifle

Basic Member
    Eddzed, the answer to your question really depends upon what you were looking for when you got the rifle. In practical terms, if you were looking for the type of rifle you have ended up with then you probably could have done better for less, or at least no more, money. I love the Axis rifles, and I own two of them, but to me they are at their very best when taken for what they are -- practical, lightweight, accurate, very inexpensive hunting rifles; sure, clean up the trigger a bit and add a decent scope, but let it go at that. Looked at in those terms, someone like me might argue that you haven't improved what you bought at all; rather, you have done away with most of the characteristics that make the Axis so appealing in the first place.

But then, not everyone is like me. I have done my share of tinkering and modifying on rifles through the years and there is no doubt that there is something very satisfying in taking a basic item and turning it in to something uniquely "yours", even if you end up with something that costs you more than you would have spent if you had chosen the type of rifle you wanted in the first place. Whether you look on your rifle as your pride and joy or a tarted-up white elephant that you wasted money on is entirely up to you to decide.

Basic Member
    I like it. I think.the stock just makes it that much better!

I have 1-Bone stock Axis 223 my only complaint is the matte finish is so thin its really susceptible to rust. I see a cerakote job in its.future. Had it out yesterday to sight in with a different scope I'd bore sighted on a pop can. 3-shots and.it was within an inch of the bullseye @100 yards shooting 50gr varmit grenades over 25.3 grains of 4064 without a doubt I never have a bad day shooting this thing.
    No load.work up just a throw and go shooting job.

I have another Axis rebarred, stocked.ect in 260 rem thats even more stupid accurate. It just takes shooting to another level.

My girls have 308 Axis's bone stock in Boyds Prairie Hunter stocks which are great rifles. Accuracy can go as low as .3 and is consistently 1" or better.

Don't have a 270 but I have to believe your results will be a flat shooting crazy accurate hunting rifle.

Dirtydeeds
    Edzzed, I've done something similar with my .270 Axis and like pisgah said, the AXIS is an inexpensive rifle. It just so happens also that it shoots very well and once the scope and stock are upgraded you should have a hunting rifle that will not only last you a long time but also be something you are proud of.

The reason I upgraded my AXIS instead of my weather warrior as an example was the low cost of the Axis. Worst case scenario I mess up so severe I have to junk the rifle. Highly unlikely but if it came to that at least it wasn't a 1000 browning. As it turned out, I put a boyds stock on, limbsaver recoil pad, did a spring mod, shaved my bolt so I could get my scope closer to the action then media blasted back to a matte ss finish, switched the action screws to ones with larger allen keys, installed pillars, bedded the action and put a Nikon Monarch 3, 2.5x10 on it. I also reload my own rounds and I will say that I am proud to show of my AXIS when I'm at the range and I shoot a sub-moa group. Sure it's just an AXIS but it can also be a good looking sub-moa rifle which some guys who pay 1000 or more still don't have.

As for your question, could you have gotten more for less... sure anythings possible but then you'd just have a used rifle. Half the enjoyment for an AXIS project is trying something new, getting to know your rifle, personalizing it and making it your own. So sure, while it's possible to have gotten more for less financially, you would have missed out on the fun you had and I don't know about you but for me there is a certain pride of ownership when guys admire my rifle at the range. lol my favorite question is, wow that's nice, what kind of rifle is that... that's when you know you've created something unique and you don't own just another another tika, reminigtion or browning.

Team Savage
    Looks great

savagetoter
    Looks pretty good to me. That new stock really does the trick.

Edzzed
    Thanks for the comments, They are appreciated. The Riflebasix trigger arrived today. What a change in trigger pull. I have it set to about 2.5 lbs. And made darn sure I can't slam fire it. I had some issues installing it. At one point I questioned if I had the correct trigger. Even went to the web site and input the rifle and yep, I got the right trigger. I was trying to put the spring on the wrong part lol. Figured that out after reading the directions. Lesson learned. I guess at the end of the day, I know I have MY rifle. And not a rifle that belonged to someone else. I know the full history on it which I suppose is important to me. My reason for asking is my wife was questioning all these upgrades on a brand new rifle. She looks at it as she still has the original new car she bought.

I think your rifle is outstanding. You made it unique to your own tastes. I did the same with a bunch of parts I had laying around and in the end the factory offering would have been alittle cheaper but mine is pillar bedded by me with an accutrigger and the 1 in 11 7-08 barrel that I shoot 120 class bullets out of with really good accuracy. I also upgraded the recoil lug as the original wasn't flat. I also had the bolt threaded for a longer knob and it looks and feels way better than some I have handled. I put a boyds thumbhole on in royal jacaranda and have had many compliments as to the stock. I am hoping to buy an axis next year to experiment with one of those as most really like them.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

handsome weapon.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

I'd say you dressed that rifle up nicely!

Nice set up!

Team Savage
    Looks great

Basic Member
    Edzzed, I think you did a great job on your gun. it's your build the way you want it and it looks great! keep us posted on how it shoots. by the way, are you anywhere around Newwestminster? I have a friend there that is a big time shooter.

Bruce

Edzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    Edzzed, I think you did a great job on your gun. it's your build the way you want it and it looks great! keep us posted on how it shoots. by the way, are you anywhere around Newwestminster? I have a friend there that is a big time shooter.

Bruce
    New Westminster is about a 20 minute drive. I had taken the rifle into the back country a month ago to sight it with that new scope. Biggest problem I had was zeroing it. Kept missing my 8x10 target that I printed off the net. Went camping and took factory made targets with me along with a large sheet of corrugated plastic. Turns out I was shooting 3 inches above the paper and a good 8 inches to the right But never knew where the bullet was hitting when I first tried zeroing it. Took a few shots and got it nicely zeroed. I also took some shockwave exploding targets with me. watch the video and you can see some stuff come close to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcEN...ature=youtu.be

That looks like some fun stuff....
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]