I have a new 116 FLHSS in .270. I am new to firearms so please excuse my ignorance.

I have read and found a wide range of opinions about how to break in a barrel. Some say just shoot, others say do multiple one shot and clean cycles. Some have you shooting upwards of 50 - 100 rounds, others about 20. Some have commented that it's a ploy to sell more barrels. I have read the FAQ on the savage site about barrel break-in, and the wording is very particular. It does not say Savage Arms recommends a specific break-in, but just quotes the procedure from the magazine. Regarding that, the last step states, "They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore." Many other procedures I've read say to make sure the bore is dry and not oiled. Can anyone offer any definitive info on this topic?

Also, regarding cleaning, I have read a lot about the proper way to clean a rifle and one thing I have found is much talk about keeping chemicals, solvents, oil, etc out of the action. I have not found anything on how to actually clean the action, nor what to do if you accidentally get any of these chemicals into the action.