Thread: Savage Scout conversion to 6.5 Grendel

Bravojmc

Savage Scout conversion to 6.5 Grendel

Hi guys, I've been a long time snooper but thought I'd sign up to show you my conversion project.
    reasoning behind why I chose the Grendel is I have ample amount of ammo stowed away and I have the dies for reloading already. So I started my project with a Savage Scout because of the bolt face and magazine works perfect with my cartridge. Barrel is a Shilen 26" super match stainless. My scout had a accustock so I purchased a comp recoil lug to convert the stock to a HS precision tactical stock. For optic Im running a Vortex Viper PST 4.5-16x50 with a weaver 20 moa base and EGW lightweight rings. I'm still waiting on my timeny trigger... Also I went with a Ptg fluted bolt body. I should beagle to put it on paper this next weekend. Here are some pictures.

Bravojmc

Bravojmc

Bravojmc

Bravojmc

Bravojmc

Bravojmc

Bravojmc
    Shilen select match sorry

Basic Member
    Very nice. Thinking about build one myself.

Bravojmc
    You should. It went together nicely! Just can't wait to see what she can do.

rob.dizz.89
    Very nice. Kinda reminds me of my build. Similar caliber (went with 6.5 Creedmoor). Once I get it put together I'll post it up so we can compare aftermarket parts, hope mine turns out as good looking as yours.

Bravojmc
    Thanks! I'll post pics when I hit my range.

Very nice!

My Grendel is on the TC Encore but my .20 Grendel is on the Savage Model 16. Main difference in effort your project is that I had to swap the .473" bolt face for the PPC bolt face.

Good lookin rig!

Bravojmc
    [QUOTE=JASmith;266750]Very nice!

My Grendel is on the TC Encore but my .20 Grendel is on the Savage Model 16. Main difference in effort your project is that I had to swap the .473" bolt face for the PPC bolt face.[/QUOTE

Hey aren't you on 65GrendelForum.com? If so I've looks through your posts. Cool rifle! I have an account over there and for some reason they would let me post. I've never been able to post there....
    Last edited by Bravojmc; 06-14-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravojmc View Post
    ...Hey aren't you on 65GrendelForum.com? If so I've looks through your posts. Cool rifle! I have an account over there and for some reason they would let me post. I've never been able to post there....
    Guilty!

Send me a PM about posting on the Grendel forum. I'd like to see more discussions about bolt guns and the Grendel.

I'm curious what kind of velocity a 26" bolt action Grendel can get...

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I'm curious what kind of velocity a 26" bolt action Grendel can get...
    That is a rather open-ended question because we might want to discuss how one plans to use the rifle.

Here are a few generic points to get the conversation going:
    • The factory MV for the 123 gr SST is 2580 fps from a 24" barrel. The 26" barrel would give one about 2630 fps.
    • Handloading with lighter bullets will get higher velocities and flatter trajectories over the first few hundred yards.
    • A bolt-action rifle may have a bolt and receiver that would allow the cartridge to be loaded a tad hotter but one will not likely compete with a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor even with the hottest loads. Further the gains in drop and drift are not particularly large unless one is going for really long ranges.

That said, I would buy a bolt-action Grendel except that I already have one in the TC Encore, a 20 Grendel wildcat on the Model 16, and my youngest son has 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15 with a 24" barrel. The Encore has an 18" barrel because it is good enough to get into the boiler room out to past about 225 yards with no changes in sight picture and at 300 with the crosshair held at the spine of a standing deer.

Basic Member
    Would you please post some targets when you get to shooting the rig! I have been mulling over a 6.5 rig. preference would be a 6.5 or 260 instead. Good luck

Bravojmc
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    Would you please post some targets when you get to shooting the rig! I have been mulling over a 6.5 rig. preference would be a 6.5 or 260 instead. Good luck
    I will for sure. I think I'm going to head to the range today! I'll try and get velocitys at a later date. Today will be for break-in and getting on paper .

Bravojmc
    Hey guys I was going to head to the range today but got sidetracked... I went ahead and glass bed the recoil lug and lapped my rings. The bed job will be done at 2:30 tomorrow. My EGW rings needed the lapping!

Bravojmc

Waiting.....

Basic Member
    That's a nice rig you got there. I've thought about doing the same since I've got two gas guns in that caliber. Interested to see how she runs.

1976dgs
    What did you have to do to the mag to get it to work for you?