Thread: Axis vs Axis 2 with accutrigger and scope

Xero

Axis vs Axis 2 with accutrigger and scope

Hey all-
    New to the forums, and new to purchasing a rifle. I'm going to be deer hunting for the first time ever this coming season, and have decided on a savage axis in 308. I found one at wal-mart for 289, and was happy with that decision. It's got a stock trigger, no scope, just a standard axis.

While looking at a gun shop, I found a axis 2, with the accutrigger and a scope. The scope is a Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40 scope. The setup costs 489.

Previously, I was going to get the axis, do a home trigger job, and buy a scope.

Is the accutrigger and the scope worth the additional 200 bucks?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Basic Member
    I don't think so. The Axis deal seems good, though. Especially if you can do a trigger job or get an aftermarket trigger. Check out the factory $50 rebate on both of those, too.

And welcome to the forum.

Basic Member
    Walmart here just began carrying the Axis II weaver package for $389 really tough call. Scopes hunting quality and.the accu-trigger is a nice safety net. But honestly if you aren't in a hurry model 10/11's often go on sale once or twice a year in the $350-450 range.

I did buy an Axis II there but across the street they had Axis SS models for the same price scoped just no accu-trigger. Might have been a better option as far as holding some resale.value down the road. Sometimes there's too many options.

Basic Member
    Oh, I see it has a Weaver Kaspa scope. I did not pay all that much attention. THought you were talking about a factory package scope that isn;t necessarily worth more than $50... That might be a decent deal, though. I like Accutriggers for hunting. If you are new to hunting, it may serve you well as well. Toss-up, really. But make sure the Axis II is new so you can get the rebate.

Basic Member
    I don't have any personal experience with the Weaver Kaspa scopes, but on MidwayUSA this is only a $100 scope and you generally get what you pay for with scopes (and $100 is about as cheap as it goes). The one review on there says the adjustments didn't work right and that's not a problem I would want to have.

In my experience, Savage combo deal scope rings can be VERY crappy - If you go with the combo, make sure you loctite all base screws and ring screws for before sighting it in, and check them to make sure they haven't moved every time you shoot it after that (a dab of the ol lady's nail polish across each screw head can help give you that peace of mind).

IMHO and through my own experience trying to get by with cheap scopes, the glass can make or break a bolt gun - especially a hunting rifle. I would stick with the Axis and buy a reputable scope and rings that you will feel confident in after you've been banging it around the whole hunting trip and finally get da thirty point buck in your crosshairs. It doesn't need to be a $5000 dollar Swarovkzeiss - just something solid that has been through the ringer with a bunch of other people and come out with good reviews. Check out this one for something economical http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132...ProductFinding - my dad and cousin both have these on their Tikkas and I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my savage - between the three of us we've killed a lot of deer looking through the lower-end Nikon glass. Good luck brother! Have fun with it

Edit: That BDC can be quite handy if you understand its limitations and have a need of shooting beyond 250yrds or so. The Nikon Spot On software is fun to mess around with, too.
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-21-2014 at 11:32 PM.

I now own two Axis'. Regular, not II's. I don't see the Accutrigger being worth it honestly. You can get a decent trigger pull with a spring change and a little polishing if you're comfortable with that. I'm personally no stranger to trigger jobs and now have a solid 1.5lbs on my latest Axis build. For a stock Axis trigger, I'm good with that.

cranebird
    I like the accu- trigger. I had to modify mine to fit because they didn't have that option then and now I have it modified down to a 8 oz. pull now but a lot of fooling around to get it to pull that light. So if you want the accu-trigger, you can modify one to fit as another option to the spring trigger mod.