Thread: Muzzle break

loiblb

Muzzle break

What to look for or avoid in buying a muzzle break? Where is a good place to buy one?

I think my latest build has a 5/8 24 thread, but not measured it yet.

Thanks

Radial type brakes kick up dust if you shoot prone. Side discharge brakes (or fish-gill type brakes) are more efficient and soak up more recoil, but often require timing to the barrel or require the use of a built in clamp on the brake, a jam nut, or a crush washer to get proper timing.

Muscle Brakes (not a misspelling that's the brand name) are often popular and work quite well I am told. Their design style is one of the more efficient ones out there from the research I have done.

What chambering is your barrel in and what type of shooting do you want to do?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

loiblb
    They are bench rest builds ones a 243 heavy barrel. The other is a 6.5x284 that does have more kick to it.

Brownells sells a shrewd brake for $60 and they look nice and work quite well. I put one on a 270 that really helped a lot. There is another place called harrels precision that sells a few different styles starting at $30 that I have not tried yet but am going to.

Ross makes the best muzzle brake I have ever used bar none! Have had several Shrewd brakes from Brownells and they also are good brakes.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr.../muzzle-brakes

Have one of Harrell's spirals on my 7mm Magnum and it is a very effective brake.

Basic Member
    If you ever plan on getting a suppressor, decide if you will need a proprietary brake for it. I stock up on silcerco specwar brakes for a few different rifles and now finally have a specwar 762 can waiting on the ATF. I wasn't too serious about it at first, but when I did become serious I was wishing I would have stuck with the silcerco brakes on all my rifles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Radial type brakes kick up dust if you shoot prone. Side discharge brakes (or fish-gill type brakes) are more efficient and soak up more recoil, but often require timing to the barrel or require the use of a built in clamp on the brake, a jam nut, or a crush washer to get proper timing.

Muscle Brakes (not a misspelling that's the brand name) are often popular and work quite well I am told. Their design style is one of the more efficient ones out there from the research I have done.

What chambering is your barrel in and what type of shooting do you want to do?
    Benchmark (http://benchmark-barrels.com/Benchma...le_Brakes.html) now have their version of Jim See's (http://centershotrifles.com/) muscle brake.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Ross makes the best muzzle brake I have ever used bar none! Have had several Shrewd brakes from Brownells and they also are good brakes.
    +1 on Ross MB; he's friend also makes a similar brake >>> http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/

loiblb
    I went with the Ross break. He made it so it fit the dia. of my barrel. It was installed by my gunsmith to get it timed to TDC on my barrel. Took him 5 min. It looks great, was an easy process with 0 issues. And at such a great price. Thanks Ross