Thread: Should I purchase a newer 110 or an older 110?

Friedfish3

Should I purchase a newer 110 or an older 110?

I'm considering building a 110 in 30-06. I am choosing the Savage because of the build and repair potential and I am tired of workmanship issues when gunsmiths have performed barrel work on my model 70's. I own and have experience with the PT&G 30-06 Serengeti reamer and I would like to use that if possible.

I can't decide to just purchase a newer 110 type rifle with a round receiver bridge or purchase an older flat-back 110 donor rifle and proceed from there. Is the quality any better/worse with the newer receivers or rifles? Is the newer round receiver bridge more stable for scope base mounting? There seems more scope base options with the round and round combination. I've had excellent experience with Nightforce bases but they only produce a round bridge unit.

When it comes to firearms I have learned to like old school. The older receivers appear to have a matte or parkerized finish which I like.

Thanks for your patience

Basic Member
    Both will work fine but a flat back is usually easier to find in my area so that's all I have. You're right about one piece bases I've been limited to EGW and DNZ gamereaper mounts and most have required bedding in the rear to correct "torque" of the rail.

Function wise they're identical until you get into the new ones with bottom bolt release. If you can stomach not using a NF base on a flat back then I would use whatever you can get your hands on for the best deal.

Basic Member
    One.thing to consider is stagger feed vs center feed. With a 30-06 though it will likely.feed well from both. But all else being equal I prefer the.center feed.

D.ID
    I also prefer the centerfeed as long as it retains the right side bolt release, accutrigger is a plus for me and I prefer the cosmetics of the round back receiver.
    Quality is at least as good and I suspect better with the newer ones as I have several and have had none of the problems most people associate with savage. No off center scope mount holes, No ejection problems, etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    One.thing to consider is stagger feed vs center feed. With a 30-06 though it will likely.feed well from both. But all else being equal I prefer the.center feed.
    +1. I too also prefer the Centerfeed to the Staggerfeed.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM