Thread: New To the Forum with my new (first) Bolt Gun Model 10P-SR

Maverick9110E

New To the Forum with my new (first) Bolt Gun Model 10P-SR

Hey All!! New to the forum (But not forums in general). Been into mostly handguns, and the AR world but I've always had an itch to get into the long range center-fire bolt game since about 12 years ago. Well finally was able to pull the Trigger (pun intended) and found a Savage Model 10P-SR with a 16" Threaded Heavy Barrel in .308. My usual range is only out to 200 yards but i have several 1000 yard ranges within 20-30 minutes of the house. I was originally going to go with a Ruger American Predator rifle, but i figure the Savage will be a better platform to build on and build up as/and IF my skills progress enough to warrant it.
    Saving up for the scope for next months budget, looking at more than likely a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 x 50 Since i get a great deal on them because I work at my LGS.

As for the gun though I originally wanted to go 18" but this rifle came available and i couldn't pass it by, plus being a savage it will be relatively easy to swap out the barrel down the road from what I've read, plus its just begging for a Suppressor right now.

Anyway, Y'all have a great site going here. I look forward to chatting more with you all and learning a lot. Hell this rifle a lone has a lot to learn, **** thing is impossible to find much info on, its definitely a limited run gun it seems, which is kinda cool, but kind of a PITA all the same i seem to always find others (sparingly) with the 18" or 20" barrels but not the 16". Cheers Folks!

Almost forgot, here are some pics of it while it was still in the shop, haven't done anything to it yet so it still looks the same. Once i get the scope up and everything on it i'll post some more in the appropriate thread.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Welcome......kinda cool rifle..........good close range anything.......I want that bolt handle....

Take a look at the 'HST' Vortex........44mm bell opposed to the PST 50mm bell

The last smooth Savage barrel nut like yours I removed with a Dremel............ ):
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome aboard. That 16 inch barrel will loose a lot of velocity with factory ammunition. If you hand load, faster powders will help keep the velocity up in the short tube AND cut down on muzzle flash.

Maverick9110E
    Definitely hand loading. Researching powders now. Most seem to reccomend IMR4895 but I'm wondering if hodgon supeformance or a faster burning powder would help. That or possibly a 155 grain instead of a 168.

Welcome from NE Michigan.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "