Thread: Trying my new ER Shaw 7mm-08 barrel....

deerandduck

Trying my new ER Shaw 7mm-08 barrel....

Recently picked up one of those ER Shaw barrel kits from Midway in 7mm-08 & put that barrel on my model 11 308.
    Before mounting it, I gave it a REAL good cleaning, including some patches of FITIZ to help smooth any rough edges. (or whatever that stuff is called)
    When taking it out, I shot it a couple of times, then cleaned. Did this for the first 10 rounds.
    I did have one group of 140 GK shoot into a 1.3" group so I'll start from there. This may work out to be a good shooter.
    More updates as it progresses.....
    Deerandduck

Basic Member
    d and d - Thanks for the report! I have a couple ER Shaw barrels and they are about the same as you report. Broke them in using similar methods and also the FLITZ treatment. One doesn't seem to collect copper at all, the other does a little. They both are more accurate than I am - old eyes. :-)
    Last edited by shagerott; 08-18-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

acemisser
    I would like to hear more about these barrels.I have looked at them but been afraid to order one of them
    as I have heard terrible reports on them...I wonder how the target barrels are...But I see they are only in
    varmint weight...My plan was to buy a 6mmbr..But went with a name brand instead..

I own two ER Shaw barrels. The 300 win mag heavy barrel groups about .75 moa. The 7mm08 sporter groups .375 moa. Both bought from Brownells. I also own a Criterion that groups .375 moa also. Of course these are all reloads.
    GLC

All the E.R. Shaw barrels I have had have shot great.

Basic Member
    I have 3 of the ershaw midwayusa barrel kits, 2 in .223 and a .243.
    The .243 runs at an average of .700" @ 100 yds, smallest is .340 so far w/my 55g coyote load. Both .223s run in the .500" on average with the smallest at .280"
    This is with my handloads.
    None mine copper at all and clean darn easy.

6.5 Guy
    I had a shaw 6.5-284 built on a 1500 action. It was a shooter for sure. I shot several .5moa groups at 300 with it. The only difference between shaw barrels and the bigger brands is that shaw dosnt lap their barrels. I broke mine in with the abrasive bullets. After that, it was GTG. Shot a 16" 10 shot group at 1k the first and only time I ever tried. I was happy with that.

Basic Member
    My Shaw 7mm-08 barrel doesn't like to shoot bullets lighter than 150 gr,but it shoots the 150 gr and up really well. I've tried many different bullets and powder combinations,and I just don't try anything lighter than 150 gr bullets anymore.

deerandduck
    Here's an update.... still working on it, but took out 2 loads with Varget and 2 with IMR4350. All using those 140 SPT from sierra.
    The Varget loads was just OK, but the IMR loads having some better looks. Some was my errors ( which is normal) but I think about 46 grns is looking promising.
    Really need it to cool off some and get a better shooting table. Went to one place today but it was PACKED, so went to my second place whose tables are not as good.

thanks,
    Deerandduck

Basic Member
    IMR4350 has been good to me in a few rifles. I get an ES consistently 20-30 from it. Pretty much the easiest way to find accuracy nodes get to around 30 and ya gotta be close.