Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primary Arms 4-14 Review

YOBUCK, settle down & don't let it ruin your day.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Well, Yobuck, I enjoy the banter. No worries there. :) Can't speak for everyone, but I hope they see it for what I do. And I do enjoy hearing about whatever it is that other hunters do and their various hunting strategies in various environments/terrain.

To answer your question about follow-up shots... I am not unwilling to take a second shot at a missed animal, and will AWAYS attempt one if I believe it is only wounded. Truth is, where I hunt, it is almost unheard of. Not entirely, of course, but the opportunity just isn't there due to the heavy cover. Of course, I have wounded deer and had to track them for a second shot, but I don't consider that "follow up" shot, per se, because it is several minutes, if not hours later. In fact, I clearly remember a time when I dropped a buck at 30 yards from a tree stand with a 45-70. Assumed he was dead. Before I climbed down, I called my wife, sent her some pics... Lowered my rifle down to the ground on a rope... "DANG! He just got up! WTF?!" Went to where he laid... no blood. Dang! Started looking for sign, walking in the general direction he ran through the thick cedar swamp... Could not find him or blood. Knew I was in for a long search so I dropped my coat and back pack and pistol and headed out in search. 1/2 hour later I kicked him up again, he was obviously hurtin' but moving good. Threw another shot at him, through the heavy cover, he kept going. anther 1/2 hour, same thing... Dang! Finally catch up with him and get a good clear shot at the back of his head from about 50 yards and drop the hammer. "Click". What the hey? Nothing. Bad round. Now I am outa bullets. 1/2 mile from my pack and coat and pistol and just an empty guide gun in my hands and a knife in my pocket. Longer story short, I called my buddy, told him the situation and he headed my way. I kept an eye on the buck, but he kept moving... I had to stay with him so as to not lose track of him, but did not want to get so close as to spook him further or drive him away... I don't know how long we "walked together", but there were a few times I was so close I could see him turn back and look at me with a pitiful look in his eye (maybe I only imagined that) and there was nothing I could do about it. Eventually my buddy showed up and we finished him off. As it turned out, I hit him with all three shots, but my bullets were too hard they just would not expand at all. It was like all I was doing was driving steel rods through him. Yeah, that sucked. Big time. And I was lucky (if not good) to have recovered him. But it was a tough day and a lot of frustration and agony for me, let alone the buck. He deserved better. Much better. I am not ashamed of all that, but I made a couple mistakes, one being the bullet choice and the other not having my pistol or extra ammo with me. I also did a few things right. One of which was I managed to keep track of the deer in a very heavy, thick, wet, dark and nasty swamp and I did not push him too hard so as to lose him again. Live and learn.

SO what's my point? Yes, crap happens, and we all make mistakes. However, I still make every effort to not take shots I believe are "iffy" or questionable. I ALWAYS believe I will make a clean kill with one shot or I don't shoot. I am often tempted, but simply won't do it. (as stated earlier, though, I feel differently hunting farm country with literally dozens of hunters for every 40-100 acres.) That's just a different kind of hunt in totally different environment. Does that mean I don't miss? Of course not. I just don't want to hope for a good shot. I want to KNOW I have a good shot.

As for bowhunting, I carry three arrows. One is to replace the one I all-too-often drop while in my tree stand. One is for a kill shot, (if necessary) and the other is in case I have the opportunity to continue hunting after taking my first deer. (On morning hunts, I always stay in my stand till I decide it's time to go in whether I have a deer down or not. No reason to stop with just one, is there?)
    Last edited by foxx; 02-08-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Basic Member
    Flylo and Hotolds are right, btw.

I just happen to like this sort of thing.
    Of course, it IS supposed to be a product review. Oops. :)

Style and ethics discussions are welcome here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...-Hunting-Lodge
    Why not start a thread there and carry on with the discussion?

Let's not get this one locked down.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Style and ethics discussions are welcome here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...-Hunting-Lodge
    Why not start a thread there and carry on with the discussion?

Let's not get this one locked down.
    Well thank you for that, sincerally.
    I dont feel any of what i said was of an offensive nature to anyone. and if so seen be assured that was and is not the intention.
    Id like to have the questions i raised answered as i think they are very fair ones.
    I would also appriciate your moving my post to the proper location in order for it to happen.
    Otherwise it would take an hour or more of my one finger typing to reproduce it.
    thanks.

I didn't find it offensive, either. Just annoyed that the thread got derailed and veered off in another direction. Unfortunately I don't have any power in this forum to move it. My fu is weak here. You can click the little triangle in the bottom left of any post in the thread and ask the mods that it be split or moved, they'd be more than happy to get it back on track.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Well, Yobuck, I enjoy the banter.

As for bowhunting, I carry three arrows. One is to replace the one I all-too-often drop while in my tree stand. One is for a kill shot, (if necessary) and the other is in case I have the opportunity to continue hunting after taking my first deer. (On morning hunts, I always stay in my stand till I decide it's time to go in whether I have a deer down or not. No reason to stop with just one, is there?)
    Thanks, my comments were aimed at your archery hunting. I just assumed you dont use follow up shots because they usually dont present themselves?
    Since scopes are very popular on cross bows now, and since we also now have (extreme) cross bow hunting, would this scope be a better choice there also?
    FFP VS SFP and mil/mil for long range crossbows. What can we think of next?

Basic Member
    I'd love to respond, but it's not the proper thread. Start a new one elsewhere and I'll jump all over it! :)

badmutha6
    So anyway, the above listed scope is pretty dang good for the money. Ha!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    One more thing about running mils is - if you run mils you need to run ffp!
    Why? I have mil/mil scopes in SFP and FFP, they both work well. If I'm dialing it doesn't matter which scope I'm using, if I'm holding over/under or windage, I'd rather have my FFP scope.

Since I started the thread, and it appears the active posters don't mind; I suppose I'll answer.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post

And unless theres a significant change in the animals location there wont be another range taken. There would be a better chance of a sighter shot
    as its quicker and offers more information. Especially if the animal is standing in a place where a clear shot isnt available anyway at present.
    We have time, so lets (waste) a shot which shows what the wind is doing, and allows for updating the elevation data also. And as an added bonus it
    could make things happen which would present a shot at the animal. .
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    1) But the bottom line is were killing animals here.
    I cant speak for you or where you come from. But i can speak for me and where i come from.

2) A disgusting bunch who often refer to things as deze and doze and dumz. But thats what some are referring to as (hunting) now days also if you can believe that.

3) As for the (sighter) shot, where did i even hint that it would be taken at the animal?
    4) What did the large group of long range hunters do when there were no scope/reticle choices other than the unertles or the few others like them?
    What did they do when there were no lazer rangfinders or combination lazer/binnoculars?
    5) Can a person even today who dosent own one of these become a long range hunter?
    6) As for the word (sniping) do we determine what that is by how many shots were fired? Or by the manner in which (any) shots were fired?
    7) Were now hearing terms used like (cold bore mapping). Sounds like a really cool catchy thing to me but im not really sure i understand it
    at least fully.

8) If i might ask Darkker, just how do you go about long range hunting?
    Could you furnish a list of the equiptment you would be using for lets say shots at animals that could be say up to 1200 yds?
    All the equiptment, and how you would proceed to use it for finding and (killing) animals.

9) Im not picking on you Foxx or anyone for that matter
    Yobuck,
    I broke your second reply down by numbers, to try and answer in a listed manor.
    I didn't see any of it as being picked-on, but do appreciate a concern for it. So here goes.

1) This view is what prompted my "sniping" comment. Understanding that there are many different situations for hunting deer, some places they are seen as a pest. Not the case here, and why I mentioned albeit perhaps with the wrong connotation, that "If that's what you want to do, so be it".

2) I agree, that bothers the crap out of me.
    3) From the first quoted text. Perhaps incorrectly, but took that as a "sighter" to get animals spooked into view.
    4) This one to me is a logical extreme that isn't applicable anymore. We as a society USED to use lead for water pipes, but realized that was a bad idea; and developed another way. I don't own a laser rangefinder, but use my scope to mil a target, and the fact that I shoot a ton; has me to the point that I am pretty good. Right or wrong, I see it as an evolution of sorts.
    5) This one I think is a bit confusing, in that if you are in a tree-stand area, there really isn't long range(at least what I call long range). So to get into it, you need to begin shooting at the intended distances. Learn to realize what you, and your equipment is or is not capable of.
    6) I used the term for the manor in which the shot was taken. Again I'm sure I had the connotation wrong, as emotion gets lost in print alone. But many of the "Deez" type folks around here, kill game animals simply to kill. They have nothing vested, no confidence in equipment, no time, don't care about meat, no mounting of trophy, just kill it and leave it; typically many. I won't grab my soapbox and play the ethics game, but that bothers me.
    7) That is a very useful tool, if you don't know what your equipment does. I personally don't clean rifles unless the accuracy starts to go away. Each of my rifles is different, some don't mind, some do. I don't have the ability to post photos where I am, but here is a post talking to that issue, I did a few days ago.
    http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-...nce-learn.html
    8) If you go to my original post in this thread you can see pictures of the country I live in. NOTHING is close to anything here :) So learning to shoot farther than many/most was a real need. I just began shooting at long distance. With my 308, I won't take a shot beyond 500 yards and that is far off-hand for me. Staying at sane pressure levels, the 308 will fall below 1,000 lb/ft of energy much beyond 500. More importantly, that is VERY close the minimum operational velocity window for almost any hunting bullet out there. So no 1200 yard shots for me. For target shooting, I've found a few bullets that cross trans-sonic safely and am shooting under MOA to 1760(on a good day mind you) :)
    Painless is a Savage 10FP. Choate US stock, with a Weaver #800363 scope. My Creedmoor is a Marlin XL7 with a Shaw barrel, Boyds stock, and the PA 4-14 on it.

For finding deer, I'm outside any chance I can get. there isn't tons of things to eat around here, so that narrows things down a lot. Tracking and finding migration patterns is vital in this area. Reading the wind so you don't spook them is also critical.

Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Well thanks for your responce Darkker.
    I dont think i alluded to (my) shooting from trees but whatever.
    Fact is im apt to cut some down to open up shooting alleys.
    Anyway it would be pointless to continue with this so i wont.
    At some point i might try to post some pictures which would possibly
    clear a few things up at least for those having an interest in how (others) might do things.
    As for your scope review again i'll say you did a good job.
    As for the ensuing debate that followed regarding (the scope). it
    became a ffp vs sfp argument anyway. Like the hunting issue or any other
    issue we could discuss it comes down to mind over matter.
    Yobuck

Hoodlum
    I have not tried the PA FFP scope, but I do have a Bushnell Elite FFP on a 10 fcp and absolutely love it. On a non ffp scope, especially where the reticle is calibrated in the middle of the mag range, there is always a large margin of error when ranging, calculating holdover, etc. I have a 24x Vortex that calibrates at 24x which works pretty well because you know that when the mag ring hits the end, you're calibrated. I also have a 16x that calibrates at 10x, so there is always that margin of error since there is no stop or index mark other that a number 10 letting you know when you are there, which requires looking over the top to make sure you are in the right spot, and even then you can be off by a bit. Not really an issue out to 200yds or so, but becomes more of a problem the farther out you go. As for the reticle covering the bullseye, the ffp doesn't cover it any more at full power than it does at the lowest power setting. The reticle does grow with zoom, but the target also grows in equal proportion. I am considering giving this scope a try very soon.
    Hoodlum

Are they made in the usa or china or phillipines?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

The last I heard, Marshall was still sourcing them from China.

Basic Member
    They are sourced from multiple plants mainly china some of which share the same as other more common scope manufacturers. Marshall is coming out with a higher mag scope soon. Its a 6-24 ffp i believe were the initial specs. Eta probably within the year. Last i heard its still in manufacturer testing and then dimitri will get his paws on it and test it some more.

badmutha6
    I wish they offered this scope w an illuminated reticle

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badmutha6 View Post
    I wish they offered this scope w an illuminated reticle
    They offer a 4-16x mildot scope with illumination but its not ffp. And they also offer a 4-14x ffp with acss reticle with illumination.

Basic Member
    Looks like a good scope for the money. Thanks for reviewing this!

pickerandsinger
    Nice review

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123