Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms 4-14 Review

Primary Arms 4-14 Review

I pulled the trigger on the FFP, Mil/Mil scope. This scope is a true .1mil click adjustment type, with turrets that are 6mils/revolution; with a side focus for parallax.
    I took this scope out against my Weaver (#800363), which I also had out against the SWFA 3-15x shortly ago. This PA is listed as having 33 mils elevation and windage. Mine tests out at 34.3 mils, this is NightForce BEAST adjustment with a smaller tube.

Clicks:
    Being 6mil/rev, instead of 5; the clicks are closer together than the Weaver or SWFA, stunning I know. The audible click is definitely more defined than my Weaver, or the few SWFA's I've shot. The "feel" is much more defined than the SWFA, which quite honestly, have always felt mushy. Mushy to the point of miss-dialing. The Weaver I would say Feels more defined, you will never mis-dial with the PA. It doesn't have the world most noticeable hard stutters, but aren't spooky.

Glass:
    I haven't done lowlight testing yet, so this is middle of the day. Dialing to 1k and fighting heat waves was interesting. The Weaver is definitely the best at dealing with them. You can see the air movement, but it is like a ghost image. The SWFA gets really hung-up with this. It makes the targets appear to wave and move, making ranging or knowing the exact location difficult. Now the Primary Arms. It really is stunning how clear the image is through this scope. The target is sharp and well defined, perhaps slightly better than the Weaver. But the heat waves are the funny part. They are so crystal clear that my eye tends to want to move off target to follow the movement. It isn't that you can't see, it's a strange knee-jerk reaction for me. Once I got over the comedy of it, you can easily call, dial, shoot, and come back.

This scope is on my Creedmoor, I only have 200 round through it so far. We'll see how it holds up over time. As it stands now, I am VERY impressed. Lots of companies out there with $700-1,000 price tags, that don't offer as much as this scope does. They may want to be concerned.

Last edited by darkker; 04-11-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: **** spelling
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Excellent review. I have two of these scopes, and will be picking up a couple more in the near future.
    My box tests on both scopes weren't exactly 100% accurate, but close enough for me. Both returned to zero exactly. IMO, this scope is the best mil/mil value out there.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I'll be curious to see if it holds up on your rifle. I have one on my rimfire and love it for all the reasons you have listed. But I heard that it might not hold up on a center fire. Give us an update as you get more rounds downrange with it. Thanks for the review Darkker.
    Randy

badmutha6
    I've had one on my 308 for about 7 months and no issues yet. Really a **** good product for the money. If they made an illum reticle in the FFP, that'd be fantastic.

Basic Member
    Thanks, that is good info, badmutha6. I would also like to see and illum reticle! The scope has been flawless for me.

Team Savage
    I have had one on my 308 for about 6 months. I have been impressed with all the features myself. The glass is not the clearest, thats for sure. But Im not going to complain about that for the price. I am more than likely going to buy another one for my 22-250. I doubt that I will put this on anything any bigger that my 308 but you never know. Its pretty heavy rig and has a good brake so recoil is very mild. Thanks for the review.

Sorry to hear yours isn't clear, mine is as clear as most folks $800+ glass.

Basic Member
    darkker, I looked up the scope and from your review it sounds like a pretty good scope even if it would cost more. I know I've spent more for less features. How did you come by yours? I'd be interested in looking at one of these and putting it through the paces.

badmutha6
    Primaryarms.com out of Houston, TX. I gotta tell you, I move some scopes around and such and I lost a nut off one of their rings (which are pretty dang good for the money) and I called them up and they shipped me one no charge express mail. Good folks there.

Yep, just go to PrimaryArms.com and order one. $230+ shipping is what I paid.
    Have a few hundred round down range now, with no hiccups.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Darkker. I just ordered one based upon your opinions.

Gotta warn, you, though. Shooting power line and equipment in most parts of the country will get you into a heap of trouble!

Basic Member
    I'm currently squirreling away pennies for the newly released 308 HUD ACSS model. I have emailed Primary Arms with a few questions and they were quickly answered by Dimitri. I can't wait to put it through the paces.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Gotta warn, you, though. Shooting power line and equipment in most parts of the country will get you into a heap of trouble!
    The power lines are large enough for you to see without magnification, gives a frame of reference for the distance I was speaking to. Then again for comparison I show the same tower with magnification....

But I guess you missed that whole bit about context....

Basic Member
    No, it was just my lame-butt attempt at dry humor.

I didn't really think you were a vandal.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I have one on a Tikka 695. In 300WM. It's a great scope for the price.
    Using Tapatalk

But for those use to MOA turrets.... Try to restrain your math derp when correcting at distance. Use the reticle to bracket your hits, and adjust based on mils judged by the mil dots in the glass. Not by a spotting scope and "thinking" what's twelve inches at 300m translate into. Just put an eye on the scope. Place the cross hairs on the group, use the reticle to count mils, and make the adjustments based on the reticle. Not your math. It's so elegantly simple to abandon 1/4 inch clicks... It's freeing.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneissuevoter View Post
    But for those use to MOA turrets.... Try to restrain your math derp when correcting at distance. Use the reticle to bracket your hits, and adjust based on mils judged by the mil dots in the glass. Not by a spotting scope and "thinking" what's twelve inches at 300m translate into. Just put an eye on the scope. Place the cross hairs on the group, use the reticle to count mils, and make the adjustments based on the reticle. Not your math. It's so elegantly simple to abandon 1/4 inch clicks... It's freeing.
    Amen.

woodsman5150
    I walked into the store front to handle it and they are currently sold out.

Basic Member
    mine arrived today. At first glance, pretty good. Turrets click nicely (audible) , but not much for feel..

Shot mine again on my Tikka. 695 300win mag w/185 Bergers over 90gr of H1000. Sweet clover at 100 to start, and solid anatomical hits on my see thru deer target.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman5150 View Post
    I walked into the store front to handle it and they are currently sold out.
    If you talked to em down there they sometimes are willing to put one aside for you when they come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    I'm currently squirreling away pennies for the newly released 308 HUD ACSS model. I have emailed Primary Arms with a few questions and they were quickly answered by Dimitri. I can't wait to put it through the paces.
    Ive been following the new 4x14 acss since it was still being tested. Now that its been released im not sure if i still want it or the normal mil/mil. Im pretty sure im going to end up buying both though.

Z06sid
    I have a 308 HUD ACSS waiting on at home that Fed Ex delivered.

When you can, start a thread about that reticle. From the videos I have no personal use for it, but another view is interesting.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by oneissuevoter View Post
    Shot mine again on my Tikka. 695 300win mag w/185 Bergers over 90gr of H1000. Sweet clover at 100 to start, and solid anatomical hits on my see thru deer target.
    ????????......90 grains of h1000 in a win mag??????? Sure about that? That sounds about 10 grains high.

9 over max by Hodgy's current website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast