Thread: Best bullet in ur 243

243axis

Best bullet in ur 243

Just wondering what factory ammo is giving you the best accuracy in an axis chambered in .243.
    I tried 100gr cor-loc but wasn't that impressed.
    Bought some 95gr fusion but haven't had time to try them.
    Also how does your bullet perform on deer and at what ranges.

Don't shoot factory ammo but the plain jane Hornady 100 gr fbsp and the 95 gr VLD hunting bullets work well in mine.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Mine has been rebarreled with a 26" 1-8 varmint contour, but it seems to like Berger 115gr VLD hunting bullets.

SKami
    My factory browning, 22 inch barrel, 1:10(I believe) liked winchester BST's in 95 grns-.75 inch groups at 100 yrds. My Savage with Shilen 26" 1:8 likes Hornady 105grn Match HPBT's-.5 MOA at 100yrds. Also the Savage is predictable and accurate out to 300 with those slugs.

Luke45
    95 gr fusions shot well in my 243 when I was using them to get brass, Legitamate sub 1/2" 5 shot groups, was probably the most accurate factory ammo I ever shot. But I may have got
    Luckey! The 95 gr 243 fusions was the only fusions I have ever shot though

Depends on which 243 I shoot. The stock model 11 shoots into the chest of a deer every time, on the range it is just under an inch at 100 using Speer 100gr. soft points.
    The one I built on a target action with a 8 twist CBI shoots tiny sub 1/4 inch groups at 100(5 shot) using Berger 105"s.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

grendelguy
    My last .243 shot 39g of Varget under 87 vmax could shoot 5 under .75@200yds regularly. This was one of those guns you lick yourself for selling.

Winchester 80gr Varmint-X shot really good in mine.

For a 100gr deer load Sierra game kings are hard to beat. From my AR-10 to all my Savage barrels they all shoot.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    For a 100gr deer load Sierra game kings are hard to beat. From my AR-10 to all my Savage barrels they all shoot.
    If a persons gun doesn't shoot Gamekings or matchkings at least decent, there is most likey a problem with the gun

Savage6x284
    For me the question of which bullet is best in just about any bore size the answer is a Barnes TTSX on the light end of the scale.

The 80gr TTSX shoots great in all of my 6mm bores with cartridges ranging in size from 6x47 (the original one on the .222RM case) to the 6-284.

If they made a 70gr TTSX I'd be all over that one too.

I'm very keen on trying out the 55gr CEB ESP Raptor and given my experience with the .224" 40gr CEB I'm expecting good things out of the 55gr 6mm ESP.

Small monometals very fast is where I'm at.
    Last edited by Savage6x284; 08-28-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Basic Member
    My axis shoots the federal powershocks into a ragged hole.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    For me the question of which bullet is best in just about any bore size the answer is a Barnes TTSX on the light end of the scale.
    That is a very broad statement and only true in certain circumstances and certain calibers and certain game

emtrescue6
    I have always had the best luck with the heavier bullets in 243's...the 4 rifles I currently have all really like the 100g Nosler Partitions...accurate and awesome deer medicine.

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    That is a very broad statement and only true in certain circumstances and certain calibers and certain game
    First of all I started that sentence with "For me".

Secondly I have never not found a TTSX to equal or better any C&C bullet as a killer of game. Shooting paper is another thing entirely and the criteria for choosing a paper punching bullet is totally different.

Finally, since a good monometal, like the superb TTSX or the offerings from CEB, stay together no matter what it encounters in the animal you can safely drop several levels of bullet weight and reap the advantages of speed.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    First of all I started that sentence with "For me".

Secondly I have never not found a TTSX to equal or better any C&C bullet as a killer of game. Shooting paper is another thing entirely and the criteria for choosing a paper punching bullet is totally different.

Finally, since a good monometal, like the superb TTSX or the offerings from CEB, stay together no matter what it encounters in the animal you can safely drop several levels of bullet weight and reap the advantages of speed.

Definitly agree with the last statement, reap benefits of speed, but also loose to wind drift and BC. the times monometals are at thier best is ultra high velocity cartridge to moderate ranges ( thinking of using a 50 ish grain ttsx in my 22-250 AI for deer) but people knock on copper core bullets way to much, a light constructed, cup and core bullet is absolutely devastating on meduim sized game. ive seen hydrostatic shock instant kills where a vital organ wasnt even hit. actually of the 30+ kills on mule deer, whitetails, blacktails, and bighorn sheep that i have witnessessed with light constructed cup and core bullets, not a single animal was lost and only 3 went more than 10 yards from where they were hit. and the majority were dead before they hit the ground.

But thats the difference int he barns and berger crowd, 2 different means, same end result