Thread: Looking for a Savage gun smith in Central Virginia.

Basic Member

Looking for a Savage gun smith in Central Virginia.

Anyone know of an excellent Savage gunsmith in central Virginia?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ravot22 View Post
    Anyone know of an excellent Savage gunsmith in central Virginia?
    Look in the mirror...not much YOU cannot do if you are half way proficient with hand tools and have half a brain...

Basic Member
    Where in Central Va? Richmond?

Basic Member
    Richmond area.....willing to ravel though.

Basic Member
    What do you need done?

big mouse
    CAPTBEACH,

Please find/read my posting in this section titled, "Savage Riflesmiths". Perhaps "ravot22" is in the same boat as I am. Maybe some of us are

not the do-it-yourself types, despite having more than half a brain. When shooting something near my face that operates at a chamber

pressure in excess of 50,000 P.S.I., I want to make sure it was an experienced professional who built my rifle. So there!
    Last edited by big mouse; 06-28-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Basic Member
    Simply trying to ENCOURAGE someone to get their hands a little dirty and actually build something....Savage rifle building...Its not rocket science...all it requires is a few simple tools, a basic understanding of mechanics and a little common sense...thats it...those skills will yield a very accurate rifle that is SAFE to shoot and will impart a better understanding of how and why things work...sure...you can spend good money having a smith build it...but are you going to send it back to the smith to clean? To tear down? To adjust a trigger that didn't come the way you wanted it to...or replace a stock or scope...this forum is ideally suited for the neophyte to come in, learn, ask questions, gain knowledge, build and GROW into this brotherhood of barrel nut Savage lovers...

Have a nice day...really...I mean it...hell if either of you were close enough I'd have you gather the parts and build it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by big mouse View Post
    CAPTBEACH,

Please find/read my posting in this section titled, "Savage Riflesmiths". Perhaps "ravot22" is in the same boat as I am. Maybe some of us are

not the do-it-yourself types, despite having more than half a brain. When shooting something near my face that operates at a chamber

pressure in excess of 50,000 P.S.I., I want to make sure it was an experienced professional who built my rifle. So there!

Basic Member
    bigmouse, if you don't mind my asking, what attracted you to Savage ?

big mouse

FW Conch

What attracted me to Savage? The positive write-ups in the firearm publications I come across. Specifically, an article in a "Gun Tests"

magazine about a Savage Model 12 Varmint Rifle in .223 Rem caliber.
    Last edited by big mouse; 07-01-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Basic Member
    I second th Captain's sentiment. There are a LOT of good rifle manufacturers out there. what I like about Savage, beyond their accuracy, is the fact I can work on them myself. In fact, I would say I am NOT mechanically inclined, I have never had success with many DIY projects of any type, but I am having a blast building and rebuilding, customizing and improving Savage rifles. I have learned a ton from fellow Savage shooters here in the past year or so and now I can honestly say I have enjoyed quite a lot of success with many projects.

I will encourage anyone to try a Savage project themselves. It can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. If you'd really rather not, there might be better options for you, such as Tikka and Remington or Browning.

big mouse
    CAPTBEACH and foxx, You-do-it-yourself types can knock yourselves out; more power to you. Me, I'm in an apartment, and my lovely wife

is very understanding. But building a Savage on her grandmother's antique kitchen table just isn't going to happen, regardless of how easy

this project may be! Based on your input, I am going to send Savage a suggestion, describing how they can reduce the cost of their

products by over 50% (at least!!). They'll be able to severely undercut Remington, Ruger, Browning, et al. How? Simple, just don't build fully

assembled rifles anymore! Continue to offer every model currently catalogued in a "kit form". It will contain a stock, barrel, receiver, bolt

and trigger group. Also included will be a small plastic parts bag containing every single last pin, screw, spring, ball detent, washer, locknut,

spacer, etc. The entire rifle will come stripped down to each individual component. Savage can permanently layoff all of it's assembly floor

staff; this way the savings will get passed on to you, the shooter. The single, small included instruction sheet will state, "Some assembly

required; necessary tools for this are available at your nearest hardware retailer. For further assistance, refer to videos available on 'You

Tube'. Savage is not liable for any misinformation provided to you by this source. Thank you for purchasing a Savage product!" What would

the other manufacturers do in response to this move by Savage? Maybe all firearms in the future will be come this way!

Basic Member
    Wow!

That was funny, I think. :)

I hope you did not take offense to our suggestions or invitation for others to partake in one aspect of what is, for us, a worthwhile hobby. BTW, I did read and respectfully responded to the thread you started saying you were looking for a riflesmith and were not presently in a position to take on a project yourself.

If you notice, I did not make any effort to dissuade you for taking that route, because there's nothing wrong with it. This hobby caters to many different people of different interests and abilities. May God bless them all.

This particular thread, however, simply asked for a recommendation for a smith, with no explanation such as yours. Though I do not know of any in Virginia, I thought I'd share a little bit of my own experiences and interests. That's kinda what we do here.

No hard feelings, I hope.

Good shooting.

Norm

big mouse
    Norm (a.k.a. foxx), Thank you for your recent posting and no, there certainly are no hard feelings! Me thinks you enjoyed my suggestion to

Savage about selling all of their rifles in a "kit form". True, I do live in an apartment, so working space is non-existent. What initiated this

whole thing was the comment by "CAPTBEACH", suggesting that, "if you are half way proficient with hand tools and have half a brain...",

then you should then be able to build your own rifle. Having grown up on a farm, we former country boys do have a "passing familiarity"

with tools, farm implement mechanics, and getting our hands dirty. But circumstances change, such is life. Seems that you understood my

reasons for seeking out a riflesmith, Norm. Unfortunately, SOME Savage do-it-yourself types can build a rifle, but can't understand the

postings they are reading!! Thanks again, big mouse.
    Last edited by big mouse; 07-15-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Basic Member
    I went with Clay Spencer in Scottsville, Va.....He cut and recrowned the barrel. Excellent job for a reasonable price with super fast turn around time.

Quote Originally Posted by ravot22 View Post
    I went with Clay Spencer in Scottsville, Va.....He cut and recrowned the barrel. Excellent job for a reasonable price with super fast turn around time.
    That is great information a Savage shooter can use. Excellent job, reasonable prices, and super fast turn arounds are exactly what all of us are looking for in a good gunsmith. Thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big mouse View Post
    Norm (a.k.a. foxx), Thank you for your recent posting and no, there certainly are no hard feelings! Me thinks you enjoyed my suggestion to

Savage about selling all of their rifles in a "kit form". True, I do live in an apartment, so working space is non-existent. What initiated this

whole thing was the comment by "CAPTBEACH", suggesting that, "if you are half way proficient with hand tools and have half a brain...",

then you should then be able to build your own rifle. Having grown up on a farm, we former country boys do have a "passing familiarity"

with tools, farm implement mechanics, and getting our hands dirty. But circumstances change, such is life. Seems that you understood my

reasons for seeking out a riflesmith, Norm. Unfortunately, SOME Savage do-it-yourself types can build a rifle, but can't understand the

postings they are reading!! Thanks again, big mouse.
    All I was simply trying to say is...ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...was not trying to denigrate you or your IQ and I didn't even address you PERIOD... just encourage OP to DIY...YOU WADED in and sniveled...Gently remove panties from ass crack...carry on...

Basic Member
    Check out Rick at TTI inc over by greentop. Ashland, VA. If he's too busy, contact Chris Hansohn at hansohn brothers or Mark at Immortal Arms in Culpepper VA. Chris did by barrel swap, because he had the tools and i didnt