Thread: New to site but I have a question that puzzling me about a model 10 .243 .

Flame

New to site but I have a question that puzzling me about a model 10 .243 .

Ok guys I'm new to the site but not new to firearms or to savage but i got a Model 10 in .243 Win and the **** bolt is not as smooth as the others i have and it sticks/hard to open bolt I have cleaned this gun oiled the crap out of it and it still hard to move is the bolt dirty inside? or could it be a burr somewere ? any clues cause this is the gun my daughter wants to hunt with and if I have a hard time opening the bolt a 10yr old is not going to do it ... Oh I forgot this is only like this once you pull the trigger but if you put bolt in and close it dont pull trigger the bolt will open easyer but still fells like something is caching it in mid roatation ..

Basic Member
    Sounds like its out of time, or your cocking ramp ramp is either off angle or maybe cut poorly. Stockade guns, Sin Arms and Sharp Shooter Supply all T&T actions.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...uing-Explained
    Last edited by mattri; 08-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Basic Member
    Might check the action screws and see if the one under the bolt is turned in too far and contacting the bottom of the bolt head.. I've seen that several times. If so, sounds like a need for pillar bedding...
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzfike View Post
    Might check the action screws and see if the one under the bolt is turned in too far and contacting the bottom of the bolt head.. I've seen that several times. If so, sounds like a need for pillar bedding...
    Or file down the screw a little. It's something that's simple to check anyways.
    You should be able to pull the bolt and run your finger on the back side of the scope taps and tell if the screws are protruding into the bolt raceway or chamber.
    Sure sounds like a timing issue though.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

mudfish
    Check the scope base screws too, could be too long and are catching on the bolt.

I had an action acting this way. I found on the right side of the action near the front in the grove was a hump. I filed it down then sanded it until ultra smooth. Now that action is slick as snot.

Just out of curiousity.....are you shooting re-loads or Factory Ammo?

Have you seen any pressure signs?

Basic Member
    Polish the cocking ramp on the bolt, polish the mating surface to the cocking ramp. Check the firing pin spring, is it stock, is it adjusted correctly? You may want to get a lift kit for it as well.

I had the same problem with an older long action .243, it was dirty for sure when I got it, but even after I took it 100% apart and cleaned everything (even inside the bolt) it only helped about 50%. It ended up being a spot on the cocking ramp that was galled. Tried my best to polish it up and it just never was the same as the rest of my savages. It got to the point where it was "OK" but just still not quite right to where I could use it as a gun that the young hunters could use.

I hadn't thought about it being out of time, that seems like it might have played into it also since nothing else completely fixed it. (BUT I'm not a guru like some of these guys are)