Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 338-06 Project Finally Started

Team Savage

If this is addressed to me I reamed my 338-284 barrel from a A+B 338 fed barrel years ago when the 338 fed was popular and midway carried those barrels, cut it and crowned it.
    IE a 338-284 ream will clean up a 338 fed chamber.

Its for sale along with dies, brass etc.

You can get Shaw 338-06 savage barrel kit from Brownels but they are backordered.

Basic Member
    It was 61gr of R17, virgin PPU brass, CCI200s and the 225s seated 10 thousandths off the lands. Tried 61.5 and it shot really well also and was quite a bit faster with no pressure signs. 62gr was ok, no sticky bolt or extractor marks but the primers were a little flatter than the others.

Probably could try again with fireformed cases but not worth it to me. Will shoot again between the 61 and 61.5 to finish fireforming and watch accuracy, chrono #s and inspect the cases before deciding on a load to try farther out.

One of the things that I hate about testing at 100 vs 200 is that I've seen plenty of loads that clover leaf at 100 fall apart farther out but it seems like 99% of the time if you have a load that shoots at 200 it will stay together at much longer ranges.

Had absolutely no idea what to expect out of this round/caliber so it seemed wise to start at 100. Not regretting that I did- just really hoping it holds together on the other berms.

Keep us posted on the longer range progress....

Basic Member
    Wasn't able to do any long range testing over the weekend but got the rest of the original cases fireformed. The 225gr Interlocks are shooting right around .5" @ 2700fps. Picked up some 210gr Nosler Partitions to try as well.

Bearguide444
    what is the coal? the standard is 3.310 and was wondering if the cannelure ring is outside of the case with you seating .010 off the lands

Basic Member
    Will have to check but the SSTs are such a long bullet that that's where they ended up .010 off the lands, the Interlocks were right around 3.310, haven't worked with adjusting COAL yet.

Bearguide444
    My problem with the 225 so is that the Canalure ring is out of the neck when I try to get it to the Coal length

Basic Member
    Yeah its in a weird spot. Have you had good luck with these bullets?

Basic Member
    While I enjoy seeing the pics of how it shoots why have we not seen a pic of the rifle it self?

Basic Member
    Good call- hope to hit the range tomorrow- will snap some more.

Ranger412
    Several years ago I too got the itch for a larger-bore hunting rifle, and after much research settled on the 338-06. I liked the caliber due to its ballistics, lower recoil (than one of the big magnums), and bullet availability. The project began with a Savage 30-06 I purchased from Walmart. After selling off all of the pieces of the rifle, save the action, I began buying up the necessary parts. I went with one of the Adams and Bennet magnum profile barrels. I added to that a Boyds JRS Classic stock (I think it's been renamed now), Warne bases and rings, and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x scope. This rifle would be my first project rifle and the first time I'd do any stock bedding and stock finishing. I used Brownells Steel Bed and pillars for the bedding job. For stock finishing, I used several coats of Tru Oil. Very happy with the appearance of the rifle.

For reloading components, I've gone with resized 30-06 brass, Varget powder, and Hornady 225 gr. Interbond bullets. I've only experimented once with developing a load for this rifle, and generally it hung out near the MOA range. I don't think I've got 60 or 70 rounds through the rifle yet, so its not really broken in. I'm tempted to drag it out of the safe and hunt with it this year. Where I'm at now, though, the deer aren't real big and it seems a bit much. My groups aren't nearly as stellar as the original poster's, but I settled on 51 gr. of Varget as the MOA group posted was good enough for me.

Last edited by Ranger412; 09-06-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Basic Member
    Great looking rifle- and good job on the build! Good shooting too- like I said the really tight groups are more luck than skill.

Basic Member
    OK first of all I'm no photographer, second, I was packing up at the range when I remembered to snap a pic of the rifle. Yes, the truck needs to be cleaned out, I know.

On a positive note the 225s did well at 200 yards-

3 shots @ 200 yards, came in around 0.744" 2715fps with an es of 28 and a sd of 11.

Have some 210gr Noslers to try but may just get some more Interlocks, doubt I can shoot any better.

Ranger412
    Nice looking rig, and great shooting. I have several other rifle and handgun options that would probably be more appropriate for our SE Ga deer, but you've got me thinking . . .

Basic Member
    Yeah I went back and forth on whether or not I "needed" a 338, and realistically I probably don't. We mostly hunt with shotguns around here (southcentral IA) and most of my shooting is done at the range anyway. What it came down to for me was a) I wanted to try a 338-06, I really like the idea of the round and its capability and b) it should be all I ever need to hunt with in NA without being a big magnum. We still have friends/family in WY and I like to think we'll get to hunt out there again and this should be a great combo for deer, elk etc. In the meantime its a lot of fun to shoot, doesn't break your shoulder at the range or the bank feeding it so I'm happy.

Basic Member
    I built mine because I heard that moose are migrating south and wanted to be prepared when they reached Lower Alabama.
    Well that and the ballistics. Like you said, it's not a magnum, easier on the shoulder, reasonable reloading cost, and thumps down range.

Basic Member
    That's good to know, if they make it that far they'll probably pass through IA- good thing I'm prepared!

Fans of the 338 says it hits hard and kills "bigger than caliber". I hope that's the case but really its effective, a little different and a lot of fun to shoot- so it works for me.

May try those Noslers if I can get to the range today.

Bearguide444
    I have tried the hornady 225 sp but thought they were good but I don't want to settle on the first bullet I try how much fun would that be? I have got some Nosler 210 and am going to give them a try.

Basic Member
    Yall inspired with all the pics of targets, so I'm posting an example of both what my rifle can do and what I'm capable of. Everyone should be able to spot the difference between the two.
    Savage 338-06, Shilen Barrel
    IMR 4350 (55.0 grains) 225 gr SP Hornady Interlock, COL 3.348

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by olddav; 09-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Basic Member
    As long as the last one was the flyer the critters are in trouble! Any idea what your velocity is?

Made it to the range the other day with the 210 Noslers. They show some real potential- hope to try them again them this coming wknd.

Basic Member
    The flier was my second shot and was my fault, called it as soon as I heard the bang. I dont know the velocity but guessing it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2460fps. Not the fastest but If it hits where I aim then I'm ok with 2460fps.
    Last edited by olddav; 09-10-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Basic Member
    For sure- I like to have a solid handle on what velocity I'm shooting for drops etc but don't chase it like I used to, can't miss fast enough to kill. Good shooting.

Basic Member
    Good point. I guess that I will just have to do it the hard way.

Basic Member
    Good as the .338-06 is with jacketed bullets ......... it's also a barn burner with cast!

I have a Shaw medium contour blued and I am very ...... VERY happy with it.

There are not a lot of different molds for .338 bore but mine is the Lee ..... not a very inspiring design on paper (it's dimensions are ho hum) but on the paper that really counts .......... (targets) ..... it's a dandy.

So looks be danged, get yourself a Lee 225 gr. GC mold and cast yourself up some ........... flare your cases ......... get some SR 4759 and have at it!

Turns your .338-06 into two rifles!

Enjoy a very under-rated cartridge!

Best regards

Three 44s

Ranger412
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Good as the .338-06 is with jacketed bullets ......... it's also a barn burner with cast!

I have a Shaw medium contour blued and I am very ...... VERY happy with it.

There are not a lot of different molds for .338 bore but mine is the Lee ..... not a very inspiring design on paper (it's dimensions are ho hum) but on the paper that really counts .......... (targets) ..... it's a dandy.

So looks be danged, get yourself a Lee 225 gr. GC mold and cast yourself up some ........... flare your cases ......... get some SR 4759 and have at it!

Turns your .338-06 into two rifles!

Enjoy a very under-rated cartridge!

Best regards

Three 44s
    Hmm, that's got me thinking. I was just saying that the 338-06 is a bit much for the deer we have around here. Maybe experimenting a bit with cast bullets would lead to a good "smaller-deer" load.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast