Thread: buying a 99

freeto

buying a 99

I found a 99 in mint condition not even a scratch in 243 and I was wondering how accurate they are. can one expect 1" groups or more on the 2"size. I always wanted one. can a gunsmith rebarrel one with little problem.
    thanks
    larry

Basic Member
    A Savage 99 in 243 is desirable BECAUSE of the caliber (read: don't consider rebarreling it). I had a pre-mil 99F in 243 that shot sub 1" groups at 100 yds with factory 75g ammo (wow!!), best shooting 99 I ever had (2" is more the norm)..but I needed money more than guns when I let go of it.

Now that you've bought a 99, the best thing you can do is buy several more, one in every caliber you want! Which model did you get?
    Jeff518

freeto
    I haven't bought it yet. still thinking over it. I must of went back to see it about six times. I never bought a used rifle and am a little nervious about it. are they pretty hardy rifles. I hate to buy someome elses bad gun. but it looks so nice. can you still buy mounts and rings and parts incase .

Basic Member
    I personally think Savage 99's hold their value pretty well, check online to see what's SELLING that compares with this 99. That should give you an idea of whether it has a fair asking price. Again, 243 caliber in a 99 is very desirable, so even if you decide not to keep it you shouldn't lose out. They are hardy and simple rifles, any problems will be obvious. If the bore is good and the action cycles smoothly everything else is cosmetic. Mounts are still being made by Weaver and Leupold, and there's plenty of used redfield mounts online. They all accept modern, common rings.
    Jeff518