Thread: i think i did okay at the range the other day !!

2111 Marine

i think i did okay at the range the other day !!

Went to the range on Monday with my Savage Axis .308 and used american eagle 150 grain BT ammo and at 100 yrds using this 3" dia target . The target has a 1" dia ring and a 3/4 dia diamond bullseye and the scope i'm using was a 6-24x50 and was set on 24x , this is what i got !!!

the 0.580 is the groupings inside the 1" dia ring and the 0.324 grouping is the two shot group at the 5 o'clock position of the target

Cool! It actually looks like two four-shot groups, neither of which is as good as the measurements listed but both of which are pretty good overall. Is it safe to guess the four shots at 4 or 5 o'clock were one string and the four closer to the center were another? By my pixel math, that would make them 1.1" and 1.4" center-to-center, which is darn good for a $300 gun shooting basic ammunition!

The target dimensions you mentioned don't seem to add up. There's no way that ring is an inch if the whole target is three inches. Even if it were cut undersized, Birchwood Casey should be ashamed of themselves for calling it three inches. Similarly, the diamond has to be closer to 1/2" if the ring is 1".
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 08-14-2014 at 04:34 AM.

2111 Marine
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Cool! It actually looks like two four-shot groups, neither of which is as good as the measurements listed but both of which are pretty good overall. Is it safe to guess the four shots at 4 or 5 o'clock were one string and the four closer to the center were another? By my pixel math, that would make them 1.1" and 1.4" center-to-center, which is darn good for a $300 gun shooting basic ammunition!

The target dimensions you mentioned don't seem to add up. There's no way that ring is an inch if the whole target is three inches. Even if it were cut undersized, Birchwood Casey should be ashamed of themselves for calling it three inches. Similarly, the diamond has to be closer to 1/2" if the ring is 1".

messed up with the target size, tired eyes give false measurements LOL!!! . Yes the overall size of that stick on target is 3" the inside ring is 1.5" and the diamond shaped bullseye is 3/4" . My first shot at the target was the bullseye followed by the (2) inside the 1.5" ring . the next 4 shots were outside the 1.5" ring as i was fighting a nice left/right crosswind

snookyboy
    Any way you look at, it's darn good shooting. Congrats.

Basic Member
    AE ammo can't beat it for plinking. Good work there on your part too.

2111 Marine
    thanks guys !!!

as the day progressed i noticed my groupings opened up and thought it was the ever changing wind direction but during cleaning that night found my action bolts ,the forward one was way loose