Thread: 32X or 50x scope??

DennisPA

32X or 50x scope??

I currently compete at 850 to 1k with an 8-32x Nikon scope that has served be well. But I'm looking to upgrade at some point and I have a question. I am currently happy with 32x power for the matches but I can't help think would I be better with more magnification ie. 50 or more? I have been looking at sightrons in 32x and 50x and with the price difference only being $150 my though is I would be better off just getting the 50x and if I need to I can dial the scope back. The only drawback I see with the 50x is smaller field of view. Which is a concern as we have flags and dust to look at around our targets for wind.

Am I missing something is there an advantage to getting a true 32x over getting a 50x and having the option of dialing it back?

There is a 0.6 oz weight difference between the two, which I need to stay under 12lbs. But I don't see 0.6oz of barrel helping me as much as more glass.

DennisPA
    Don't be shy any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ackevor
    I wish I had experience with either so I could help you out, but never went over 24x in my outings. At times I wish I had more but always do well enough, making it hard to justify the cost of a new scope. If the scope you have now has served you well maybe you wont need a new one unless you feel you need it to get that extra edge to place higher. Never heard anyone complain of having too much magnification at that range, look at FOV specs, if the flags will fall into that space then your golden

Basic Member
    x OK, I Have a Viper PST 6x 24 and a SIII Sightron 8x32 Personally, I think it's as much about the clarity as the magnification. My Viper is clearer at 24 x than my Sightron at 32, I almost bought the 50x but decided not to. Sometimes especially when developing loads,. Mirage is a factor but when the magnification is too high, it's hard to find the target if you get off of it. All my fellow long range shooters are using 25-32 as the high magnification. So it's a personal choice.

DennisPA
    Well I guess my decision process just got blown up! My wife told me to go ahead and order a nightforce for my bithday!!!! I guess she got tired of hearing me talk about scopes and wondering what to get! It's a great thing to have a wife that is a shooter also! I am a Blessed man!

Basic Member
    You can't beat Nightforce, I love their MOAR reticle, But I would definitely go with at least the 8x32 Unless you go with their benchrest scopes and go with the higher Power. Although I should ask what distances are you shooting at, out to 500 yds, I'd say 24 is fine, 32 great and if you shoot further than 500 yds regularly, I'd say consider the higher power. I do like my Vortex Viper PST and my Sightron's. Sightron's are popular here with the 1000 yd shooters. My last post got mess up I see. My frustration with the higher powers is losing the target. I like all the magnification I can get when developing loads. Good luck and enjoy. you are fortunate to have a wife who let's you buy these goodies.

michaelnel
    I have a NF Competition 15-55x52 (2014 version). What a wonderful piece of glass! I got it to put on the 6mmBR I am taking delivery of this coming Friday, but in the meantime I have been using it on my 10FCP HS Precision at 300 yards. It's way more scope than needed at 300. I have found I shoot best with it on about 30x at 300 yards. I have shot it some at 55X and that is just too much magnification for that distance. I end up chasing the red dot in the middle of the target, and it pulses with my pulse. If it's hot, the mirage is a killer. When I get a chance to shoot the 6mm at 600 yards it may be more useful, but for now I have put my 5-20x50 Vortex Razor HD back on the .308, and the NF will go on the 6mm when it arrives.

Basic Member
    I use a 55X NF and love it. I shoot with it at 55 as much as possible in 600 and 1000 F Class. Just remember it has a power adjustment.

Team Savage
    I do not have a scope of the quality of NF, but I have found that in my variable higher power scopes they are clearer and the eye placement is not as critical at the lower powers. Do you find the same thing with the NF? Is it clearer and easier to use at 40X than it is at 55X. I have a Sightron II 36X and just can't imagine using a 50X, the Sightron II 36X is so hard to focus for the clearest picture and eye placement is very critical.

Just wondering if the NF quality alleviates that problem?

Bill
    Last edited by bsekf; 10-22-2014 at 02:49 PM.

The Sightron 10X50-60 is the best value, in high magnification scopes out there at under a grand, it is just short of a Hubble Telescope.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    Dean,

Please answer the question I ask about clarity and eye placement on the high mag. scopes and is the Sightron 10X50 clearer at 40X then a 50X? Have you compared the Sightron 10X50 to a Sightron II 36X?
    Last edited by bsekf; 10-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Dean,

Please answer the question I ask about clarity and eye placement on the high mag. scopes and is the Sightron 10X50 clearer at 40X then a 50X? Have you compared the Sightron 10X50 to a Sightron 30X?
    It is clearer at 40X than it is at 50X,
    it is clear all the way to 45X then from 45X to 50X dims a bit, not a lot but I can tell, that doesn't stop me I still crank it up to max,
    the 30X is clearer at 30X, than when the 50X is turned down to 30X, for $100.00 more I would still get the 50X,
    20X more mag is a lot and I have no problem giving up a bit of clarity for they extra magnification.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Are you guys talking clear or just light transmission? If light transmission then all scopes will be a bit dimmer when turned all the way up. Some just show it more than others.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

That' what I meant Earl, the eye placement is fine and does not change with higher Magnification.

Dean

Team Savage
    Earl,

I am talking about clarity, I understand the higher the power, the less light. My Sightron II 36X is a <$500 dollar scope and I am not thrilled with the clarity, the ability to focus and the critical eye placement. I don't believe that scope in 50X would be usable. I have not looked through a NF or a Sightron III 10-50x and just questioned if the higher price (quality) would alleviated the problems I have with the 36X Sightron II?

Bill

That 36X scope in which I have one is a one inch tube, and the 32X and 50X are 30MM tubes which makes a world difference, as far as clarity and light transmission.

Dean

Tube diameter has nothing do to with clarity as that's a product of the quality of the lenses and the lens coatings. Tube diameter also has no effect on light transmission as light transmission is a product of lens quality, coating quality, objective lens size and magnification (Obj. dia. / magnification = exit pupil dia.). The only thing tube diameter affects is internal adjustment range.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Then the glass or coatings must be that much better, because there is a heck of a difference between the 1" and the 30mm Sightrons.

Dean

You have to adjust the parralox to get the picture crystal clear, don't pay atention to the numbers if it has them.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Tube diameter has nothing do to with clarity as that's a product of the quality of the lenses and the lens coatings. Tube diameter also has no effect on light transmission as light transmission is a product of lens quality, coating quality, objective lens size and magnification (Obj. dia. / magnification = exit pupil dia.). The only thing tube diameter affects is internal adjustment range.
    This is absolutely dead on.

Usually the lens tolerances and coatings are higher on 30mm scopes (given same manufacturer) as the higher tier scopes tend to have 30mm tubes as of late due to market demand.

To the OP:

Go with the 50x if the glass allows clear view at that setting, should with an SIII. You can always turn it down if mirage is a factor but on those clear days, you will never be able to turn the 32x up to 50x.
    More shooting, less typing.