Thread: New Guy with a 99CD

Slappy

New Guy with a 99CD

Hi All,

i just picked up a 99CD Series A #D242--- in .243. The rifle is in very good condition with a very sharp and shiny bore. Looks to be well carried but not shot a lot. I can't wait to take it to the range, but I have a few questions:

1. When was it made?

2. What is the barrel twist rate?

3. Approximate value?

4. Ammo recommendations?

5. Any maintenance or safety precautions?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Slappy; 08-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.

you have a great rifle in a great cal. for deer and smaller stuff it just don't get no gooder than a good ol 243 as fas as ammo? i have been handloading since 1970, not many factory rounds go out my guns. you need to find what ammo it shoots best and stick with it, a 100gr. bullet in any form will kill deer dead! my wife and i have killed many with 85gr sierra bthp so an 80gr would work just fine, it's all about shot placement anyway, you do not need any fancy plastic tip bullets although they work fine to, just not needed. remember a rifle is no better than the glass on top. put on a good scope and it will shoot better than you can. check out 24 hour campfire web site they have a lot of 99 photos on there. the value of your gun is everything that is is worth to you and what a man will pay. some i have that is only worth a couple of hundred to some folks money can not buy.

good shootin...........

Slappy
    Olskool,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I will enjoy shooting this rifle. I will most likely have it in the woods this season along with my 110 in .270.

Basic Member
    D serial numbers are getting late. In the 80's sometime. Seem to sell for more than I think they're worth, sometimes $700-800. Less than $700 is normal. No special safety or maintenance to speak of. Check operation of the safety, sometimes the tang safeties aren't all that and will fail. Triggers are said to be difficult to "adjust" lighter. Good luck!

Slappy
    Fireball,

Thanks for the reply. I paid $550 for mine. I was not sure if that was a fair price when I bought it, but after a little research it seems like a fair deal. I have function checked everything and I hope to have it on the range next week. I'll shoot it with iron sights for a bit before I mount a scope. The trigger feels fairly crisp with just a little overtravel. I did not know I could adjust the trigger but I probably won't. Cheers.