Thread: Accutrigger Question?

Jhook87

Accutrigger Question?

Hey guys, I'm new around here but i've been reading this forum for many months. Anyways, I have a question for yall that I hope yall can answer for me. I bought a Savage 12FV in .223 Rem about 2.5 years ago and have been shooting it ever since. I bought the BVSS stock from Savage and have fallen in love with this rifle all over again. Now I have the accutrigger set around 1.25lbs and noticed over the year that it keeps getting lighter in weight after every other visit to the range. I took the trigger apart and cleaned it out with a q-tip to get all the oil out and put some nail polish remover on the spring/threads to keep it from backing out. I went shooting again and yep, the trigger got a little bit lighter again, not much, went down to 1 1/8 lbs. I have come to the conclusion that the sear and the trigger surface areas are the culprits that are wearing out, not the spring backing out.

So my question is, once I completely wear out the sear/trigger accutrigger will Savage replace the trigger for me? Also, I been doing some research and found aftermarket triggers but only come with the trigger itself, no sear, will these triggers work with a worn sear?

Sorry for the long post guys and thanks for your help. :)
    Last edited by Jhook87; 08-12-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Basic Member
    I doubt the sear or trigger is wearing out, but I could be wrong. My guess is the spring is just getting weaker or the sear is just getting smoother and more polished with use. Sounds like a good thing to me. I wouldn't worry about it. If you think it is wearing out, take it apart and see if the edges are worn at all. I seriously doubt they are. If it does get worn out, parts are available and they are not expensive or difficult to replace. I also bet your Savage will outshoot the Howa.

Basic Member
    More than the above, to answer your question about aftermarket triggers and sears... Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger is excellent and though it uses the factory sear, it does not use the edge of the sear. Can't describe it, but suffice to say you could cut the edge off the bottom of the sear and it will still work fine.

I took the trigger apart and cleaned it out with a q-tip to get all the oil out and put some nail polish remover on the spring/threads to keep it from backing out.

You need to clean again and use Nail POLISH not nail polish remover to hold the spring.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Jhook87
    Alright, sounds good guys. I didn't know if the sear/trigger valley was wearing out or if the spring was just getting weaker. Looks like I have to go snag some nail polish from my gf, lol. Yeah I kinda made up my mind not to purchase the Howa as I would have to do more work to it to make it shoot like my Savage. I have around 2000 rounds down the pipe and still shoots sub moa, gotta love savage rifles.

Thanks for your help guys!