Thread: Convince Me

sbarcewski

Convince Me

I asked this awhile back but then it was a big "WHAT IF", but now it is a reality. Here is the situation:

I recently finished a .330WM and love the way it shoots. Right now recoil is no big deal for me, but I love to acquire guns and am planning for my future as well as my boys future so.........

I picked up a 110 Flat back in 7mm Mag with the barrel and parts to switch it to a .264 Win Mag. from a friend of mine and after listen to some advice here it sounds/looks as if I am going to actually going to make a .243 win on a long action for long range precision and center fire introduction with my boy. From what I can tell the .243AI offer a little advantage to me but not so much as to make it worth going that route vs. a standard .243. Here is what I need answered (or convincing of): I am I missing something that says the 7mm Mag or the .264 is that much better for my purposes opposed to the .300WM or the .243 (AI or not)? I can always get a standard .243 to teach the boy if I stick with the 7mm or the .264WM. Or is the .243 that good/ Like I said I am leaning towards the .243 right now and will be buying parts in the next week or so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

Basic Member
    Go for the .243. If you're building on a long action, order a 7 or 7.5 twist barrel and shoot the 115 DTAC bullets. Cheat the wind and retain energy like a magnum.

Basic Member
    Your.comparison is one most wouldn't make. 243 or 243ai is a small highly efficient short action cartridge. The 3 mags are in a league of their own. Not efficient yet each has its sweet spot. You might shoot the 7mm some first.to give yourself a baseline. 7mm with bullets from 90-180gr has much to offer.

Anything with "Mag" in the title is not a good choice for introduction to center fire. Build a .243 Win or the AI (I like AI) and let him shoot. Recoil will be so mild that he can enjoy it without developing bad habits. I shoot 1K with mine routinely with 105 AMAXs. My daughter shot it out to 950 last week. After he is introduced and has good fundamentals then build him something bigger if he wants.
    More shooting, less typing.

D.ID
    It's just down right hard to argue against a fast twist 243 when you all ready have a heavy hitter.
    Then you factor in recoil and expense and it makes it even harder.

sbarcewski
    Just to clarify I WOULD NOT start my son shooting a mag unless it was a .22WMR. If I go with the .243 it will be a LRP rifle and something so heavy and non-recoil inducing I think it would be a great gun/caliber to introduce him to a center-fire rifle. I just wanted to solicit any info out there to sway me away from the .243 and make me keep the 7mm Mag that the rifle is or the .264 WM that came with it. Right now I'm converting to a .243 in a long action unless some bolt of lightening hits me soon.

Scott

Basic Member
    What are you calling long range?

sbarcewski
    700+ yards

Basic Member
    Outer envelope?

sbarcewski
    I would like to think that I will average about 700-900 yard with the rifle assuming I can do my part. That is not to say I won't try to stretch it out as far as possible (1,000yrds +) perhaps. Not really sure on the loads and ultimate ballistics of the round though.

Basic Member
    243 should serve you well. More boiler room than a 6mm br or even dasher and less overbore than a 7mm mag- with excellent accuracy- keep us posted.

sbarcewski
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for barrel length comparisons and/or tell me what length I should run on a .243 varmint contour barrel. I should be OK with an ER Shaw right?

Thanks
    Scott

Ya can't beat the 243 for a starter rifle.

Basic Member
    http://www.criterionbarrels.com/savagecontours.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/243win/

You've probably seen those but if not, hope they help.

The 243 is a really well balanced and versatile round. Excellent ballistics, great bullet selection and easy to shoot.

Built one a few years ago when we lived in WY. 1:8 Shilen 16" long with a varmint contour- shot 55/65gr Vmaxs so well that prairie dogs at 600 weren't all that much of a challenge and loaded with 100gr GameKings it dropped mulies like a rock.

As far as which barrel maker to go with there are lots of good ones but I've had unprecedented success with Criterions and Jim at Northland is a great guy to deal with.

Don't mess with the DTAC bullets they are almost impossible to find, besides the 105 Berger VLD has a very similar G7 BC and can be launched nearly 200 fps faster out of a .243.

Quote Originally Posted by sbarcewski View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for barrel length comparisons and/or tell me what length I should run on a .243 varmint contour barrel. I should be OK with an ER Shaw right?

Thanks
    Scott
    For barrel length, I would run no less than 24" and would be happier with 26" using a 1 in 8 twist. Shaw barrels are slightly better than factory made but can be real shooters if your lucky enough to get an exceptional one.

D.ID
    Unless the Name of the cartridge includes "Super-duper _+p fragalistic magnum BEYOND magnum" You will not catch me running anything longer than 24"........But, That's just me.

SKami
    I recently did a build on a 110 flatback, in .243. 26 inch Shilen Select Match, 1:8, revolution thumbhole. Shooting 105 grain hornady match, getting pretty close to 2900 fps, with a mild-high dose of IMR4831. About .9in groups at 200. Almost no recoil, I love it!

Basic Member
    Model 12 6.5 creedmore LRP shoots sub 1/2 MOA

Vince
    The 6.5 Creedmoor looks to be a good option.
    Those 6.5mm bullets do very well bucking the wind and a long action would give you room to play.
    I think you're on the right track, with the 6mm/.243, but I think you can do better with a 6.5. You'll see a big difference when you start stretching it out.

D.ID
    You can go toe to toe 243 vs 6.5 (assuming high efficiency loading in each).
    The 6.5 has better barrel life but more expensive bullets and slightly more recoil. The 6mm has cheaper bullets, shorter barrel life and less recoil.
    If you run the ballistics on both it will come down to flipping a coin.............can't loose with either one.
    Dtak bullets are available but single source from Tubbs, berger's 105 hibred are easier to get.