Thread: stock question installing er shaw magnum contour barrel

Team Savage

stock question installing er shaw magnum contour barrel

Thinking about replacing my factory contour barrel with an er shaw magnum contour barrel. Stock is just factory tupperware. Is it possible to do the switch without replacing stock as well? Will I need to remove a lot of material? Could it be done in such a way that the old barrel could be reinstalled?

Thanks for any input.

Rich

Shouldn't have to remove a whole heck of a lot. If its a Tupperware stock a sharp utility knife works well to shave off a little at a time.

RP, I put a 24 inch ER Shaw mag contour on one recently that had a .243 sporter contour previously and still had ample space for barrel clearance. It appears the factory plastic stocks may be standardized to handle both magnum and sporter contours barrels.

I was able to fit a varmint contour with out too much trouble.

Basic Member
    The ER Shaw magnum profile is a little larger than some magnums...more like a light varmint maybe. I had to remove just a little for mine to float in a 114 "classic" stock. Not much, but just a tad. A dowel wrapped in sand paper fixed it up in a few passes.

Basic Member
    3/4" Wood Dowel about 18" long, 12-14" of Skateboard tape or Sand paper (60 grit) taped to the dowel with double sided carpet tape...about 15-20 minutes of stroking it along the barrel channel will do a very satisfactory job...I just did the same to a walnut stock that had a sporter barrel channel...used a 10" section of 870 Barrel at first to get it opened up then switched to a 1" wood dowel and 50 grit...finished with 150 then 220...she now sports a Varmint barrel channel...took about 45 minutes and a little sweat...

Last edited by CAPTBEACH; 08-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.

jmadisonbiii
    I just put a Shaw 300 WM barrel on a 110 in .270. This rifle originally had a tupperware stock. The barrel channel was a little tight, just enough so that the front action screw wouldn't reach. I didn't try to fit the barrel to the factory stock as I am using a new stock. Just letting you know the Shaw magnum barrel in the tupperware stock will be a little tight, but nothing that can't be resolved by following the good advice above.

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    3/4" Wood Dowel about 18" long, 12-14" of Skateboard tape or Sand paper (60 grit) taped to the dowel with double sided carpet tape...about 15-20 minutes of stroking it along the barrel channel will do a very satisfactory job...I just did the same to a walnut stock that had a sporter barrel channel...used a 10" section of 870 Barrel at first to get it opened up then switched to a 1" wood dowel and 50 grit...finished with 150 then 220...she now sports a Varmint barrel channel...took about 45 minutes and a little sweat...

I did the same thing to a B & C stock to free float a McGowen bull barrel. It worked perfectly.