Thread: New Axis build questions

Mike_ky

New Axis build questions

I've been wanting to start a build on my Savage Axis 308, and I've got a few questions. So far I've decided to go with a Timney trigger, but that's all I've got so far. I know I want to go with a heavy barrel, a new stock, a new weaver base, a new bolt handle (possible), and a good one piece base. So now I need suggestions on what to buy. But I have heard that a the stocks like Boyd's wont work with a heavy barrel. But any help at all would be great. I'm going for at least 800yd shots here so the more accurate the better (duh) haha. Thanks in advance for your guy's help on this.

Also this is my first post on Savage Shooters, already learned quite a bit you guys do a great job, thanks again.

Timney's are pretty good. I was not overwhelmed with it compared to a very simple trigger mod I did previously and went back to the modded factory trigger.

Depending on what style of Boyd's stock you're after, I know the Tacticool has enough meat on the forearm to be opened up with sandpaper on a round object of some sort. It took me about half an hour with 60 grit backed by a 1 inch steel rod, but others have used deep well sockets to good effect. Basically sand a bit, check the channel, sand some more, check again, etc.

I think a lot of us use EGW (Evolution Gun Works) rails, partly because there aren't too many options out there. They make a 20MOA rail as well, which might be called for if 800yd is your minimum range.

Aftermarket bolt handles are not available for the Axis, so the only options are to have the factory handle modded or, far more contentiously, try a 1X/11X bolt handle, which will fit an Axis bolt body but will not provide primary extraction. At least one guy tried it on a .223 Axis and found it worked even without primary extraction, but smarter money in the long run is on a Axis bolt handle in my opinion. A couple people here have tapped the bolt in a number of ways to attach a knob, I and a few other cast a knob out of epoxy in situ. Still, whatever knob you use is going to be predicated by your scope's bell size and height.

cranebird
    This axis has one of the best handles that I have seen. The rifle belongs to Drybean .

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I thought that photo looked familiar. I wouldn't have recognized except for the fact I had posted it for Jim when he sent them to me on a flash drive.
    The guy does put together a sweet looking Axis.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I thought that photo looked familiar. I wouldn't have recognized except for the fact I had posted it for Jim when he sent them to me on a flash drive.
    The guy does put together a sweet looking Axis.
    I didn't know you were a computer guru too ? Yes, I barely know how to resize but I figured it out and reposted it for Jim on the bolt handle thread. I totally dismissed the applejack color at the Boyd's site but seeing it on Jim's rifle, it looks great. I thought I would steal the pic from the bolt handle thread and post it again. I don't know who made that bolt handle but they did a fantastic job...... I want one !!!

Team Savage
    Thanks, go to WWW ProjectSavage. com. ,you can buy the Handle there